• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Don't just dry fire a round. "Call" your shots. When you drop the hammer, you will know exactly where that imaginary projectile would have gone. Call each shot even if only silently in your mind. "3 o'clock", "12 o'clock", "X" etc.

Flash

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Dry firing should be the basis of all marksmanship training regimens. It's a very useful tool and something we learn in advanced rifle marksmanship instruction. A vast majority of fears about damage to the gun itself are wholly unfounded (or at least greatly exaggerated). Dry firing allows you to work on the most important part of shooting in my opinion: form (any lifters in the audience would agree as well lol). Building muscle memory for shooting can be done for free at any time and doesn't require any special facility. Everything else is recoil management, and is just a matter of conditioning. I don't use snap caps when firing dry, but I do use them when practicing or instructing on malfunction clearing.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dry firing should be the basis of all marksmanship training regimens. It's a very useful tool...
    I agree with all that 100%, but it's still incredibly boring ;)

I want to get one of those laser pistols to make it more fun, but they are kind of expensive. I'm wondering if a realistic airsoft might be better.

On a positive note, I've convinced the wife to dry fire. Victory! :laughing:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Too many people think having a gun is all they need for self-defense.

This.

The manager at one of our restaurants was robbed at gunpoint while on delivery a few weeks ago. It wasn't until then that she and her family decided to buy a gun for defense. They get a Stevens 320 shotgun and M&P380 Bodyguard. I keep telling them to let me take them to the range so I can teach them how to shoot those guns, but she told me that "Oh, I know, I practice at home." She has never fired a gun in her life, never even dry fired. She used to not be able to rack the slide, but now that she can cycle the slide, she considers herself trained in using that handgun. As for shotgun training, her dad (also never fired a gun in his life) has practiced by walking around the house pointing it at things. I doubt they know how to release a locked action... They think that the mere presence of a gun in their house is going to make them safe. It gives me a headache when I try to convince them otherwise....

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I agree with all that 100%, but it's still incredibly boring ;)

I want to get one of those laser pistols to make it more fun, but they are kind of expensive. I'm wondering if a realistic airsoft might be better.

On a positive note, I've convinced the wife to dry fire. Victory! :laughing:

Yeah the laser guns are expensive, but Laserlyte sells a laser cartridge that you can use in your own firearm. I think they sell for $70-$75. I have one in 9mm and .45 ACP. Been using them weekly for the last 6 months. I don't have the reactive targets either. Just a B27E silhouette tacked on the wall. You get instant feed back, and it's great for draw and shoot practice.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Yeah the laser guns are expensive, but Laserlyte sells a laser cartridge that you can use in your own firearm. I think they sell for $70-$75. I have one in 9mm and .45 ACP. Been using them weekly for the last 6 months. I don't have the reactive targets either. Just a B27E silhouette tacked on the wall. You get instant feed back, and it's great for draw and shoot practice.
    I use the Laserlyte cartridge and their target. PM me for a video of me training with one on my couch. I use it 3-4x each week for an hour to 1-1/2 hours.

I use it to practice drawing, pointing, trigger control, and sight picture vs sight alignment. On my CZ I use it to get used to the DA pull and repeat DA shots. I've trained by sitting it in a room and transitioning to the room, drawing and firing. It's also good training for using concealment and making a shot or taking shots. I highly recommend it.

PRE-K

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 25, 2015
    Tomball
    People can do a hell of a lot of repetition and gain a hell of a lot of neural memory, to the point of achieving subconscious competence, with dry fire, and entirely for free. It's a win win. There are only a few things you can't train with it, obviously, such as recoil control.

Agree 100%.

Unfortunately, most of those new to the sport cannot be convinced that NOT shooting will help their shooting.

Top Bottom