• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Can someone explain why the .40 caliber lost it's popularity? Searching the internet I can find no valid reason why the .40 has become so "unpopular", compared to the 9mm. Although I own none now, I've shot 9 mm and .40 cal. handguns and honestly couldn't tell a lot of difference in them. Seems like a .40 cal. can be bought cheaper than an equivalent 9 mm. Just wondering....
    Capitol Armory ad

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Personally I have no qualms with .40. I can shoot it as quickly and accurately as 9. It is more expensive to shoot though. Really most of the major players in the pistol market are pretty comparable on capabilities. It's splitting hairs. I think most of it is people just have blind biases towards something because it's what they're used to.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    I handload so velocity can be whatever the manuals allow. Even off the shelf, I've found the differences in those two calibers can be very close or very far away. And probably make very little difference compared to the shooter, the target, the particular load for each caliber, etc.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I think the level of unpopularity is overstated and not nearly as large as some make it out to be. There are plenty of .40 S&W pistols in current production. I am just pissed off that it's getting harder to find new all metal DA+SA autoloader pistols over the plastic striker fire ones.

It seems that most federal and state law enforcement switched from .40 S&W to 9mm due to logistical reasons as 9mm is cheaper to shoot and is less wear and tear on pistols.

Also 9mm is less recoil so this means better accuracy and less difficulty for people who are uncomfortable to the higher recoil of the .40 S&W.

Personally I perfer .40 S&W over the 9mm for my primary self defense pistol as its superior to the 9mm in my opinion.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    9mm does a lot. Cheap, high capacity, powerful enough. It might not be your cup of tea but it does a lot.

Like m5215 says it has less wear on guns. I wouldn’t say it’s more accurate. My sig 229 in 40 shoots better than most of my 9mm’s. I shot a g27 that was accurate. Depends on the gun.

Imo 40 was that compromise from 45 to 9.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    9mm does a lot. Cheap, high capacity, powerful enough. It might not be your cup of tea but it does a lot.

Like m5215 says it has less wear on guns. I wouldn’t say it’s more accurate. My sig 229 in 40 shoots better than most of my 9mm’s. I shot a g27 that was accurate. Depends on the gun.

I can't disagree with that!

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Most handgun calibers perform to a similar level if the real world "numbers" are to be believed. All going to .40 or .45 nets you at this point is less capacity.

But the good thing is we all have the option to carry whatever we want :)

I think the big move in LE from .40 to 9mm (go to GT and check out all the .40 police trade ins they have for cheap) was because of the FBIs move from 40 to 9mm combined with cheaper ammo.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX

It certainly was for me. After getting several 9mm pistols I wanted a round that had heavier bullet options. I tried .45 ACP and it turned out to not be quite what I was looking for but .40 S&W with a 180 gr. bullet was just the right caliber and weight I was wanting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom