• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    What about state game wardens? They usually get boners for that kind of stuff. Trespass, vandalism, poaching - all right up their alley when its connected to hunting
    He is a great guy but lives 40 miles away and my place is off the beaten path (helped get the bird feeders thru state funding in exchange for quail and eggs)
    Target Sports

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    My point was more - if the Sheriff won't do anything, if its related to hunting / fishing, the gamies usually go hard for that, especially Texas game wardens if their reputation has any accuracy.

My last dealing with a game warden was over 15 years ago with trespassers that were setting up tree stands on my property on the bsck part close to where set up the targets the last yime you were here. He told me to call the sherriff's department.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My point was more - if the Sheriff won't do anything, if its related to hunting / fishing, the gamies usually go hard for that, especially Texas game wardens if their reputation has any accuracy.

Yep. I have never encountered a game warden that wasn't that way.

All I have had dealings with took their jobs very seriously.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    What amazes me are the number of hunters who are put out by landowners who don't want the help of strangers and often don't want the help with friends. I usually hear garbage like, "Landowners should not be allowed to complain about their hog problems if they won't let me hunt for free." So apparently, said hunters think that when people buy and own land, that they must either give up the right to complain about problems or give up the right to control access to their own lands.

I am a hunter on more than a dozen properties that I don't own and 3 that I do. I don't let strangers hunt my lands, either. I won't let most of my friends hunt my places without me present.

My first taste of self-entitled assholes came around 2005 when I bought my first land. A buddy wanted a place for his son to be able to get his first deer. Cool. I gave permission. Two weeks later and about 3 weeks before deer season, the guy calls and tells me that he has killed the largest bobcat he has ever seen - on my place. He didn't have permission to hunt on my property and didn't have my permission to hunt bobcats on my place, but he was sure to educate me on how I didn't want bobcats on my place and how bobcats were not my property, but the state's property and he had a hunting license. I politely let him know that his son would have to get his first deer somewhere else.

PDiddy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2022
    South of I10
    What amazes me are the number of hunters who are put out by landowners who don't want the help of strangers and often don't want the help with friends. I usually hear garbage like, "Landowners should not be allowed to complain about their hog problems if they won't let me hunt for free." So apparently, said hunters think that when people buy and own land, that they must either give up the right to complain about problems or give up the right to control access to their own lands.

I am a hunter on more than a dozen properties that I don't own and 3 that I do. I don't let strangers hunt my lands, either. I won't let most of my friends hunt my places without me present.

My first taste of self-entitled assholes came around 2005 when I bought my first land. A buddy wanted a place for his son to be able to get his first deer. Cool. I gave permission. Two weeks later and about 3 weeks before deer season, the guy calls and tells me that he has killed the largest bobcat he has ever seen - on my place. He didn't have permission to hunt on my property and didn't have my permission to hunt bobcats on my place, but he was sure to educate me on how I didn't want bobcats on my place and how bobcats were not my property, but the state's property and he had a hunting license. I politely let him know that his son would have to get his first deer somewhere else.
    That sucks. so You gave him permission to take his kid hunting and he thought that was blanket permission to go whenever he wanted? Damn..

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I was (too old now) a hunter of many animals from dove, duck, goose, deer, redfish, speckled trout and flounder, but I would never kill something as beautiful as a bobcat.

Yes, I know they might kill your chickens, (build a better coop) but they're one of nature's absolute beauties, much like other predators like raptors, don't kill them for fk-s sake.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I was (too old now) a hunter of many animals from dove, duck, goose, deer, redfish, speckled trout and flounder, but I would never kill something as beautiful as a bobcat.

Yes, I know they might kill your chickens, (build a better coop) but they're one of nature's absolute beauties, much like other predators like raptors, don't kill them for fk-s sake.
    If it poses a threat to my family, pets, livestock or me, it gets a bullet.
    If it does not, and is just doing apex predator stuff in the wild, it gets a complete pass from this apex predator as a matter of professional courtesy.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge

Perfectly stated.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    If it poses a threat to my family, pets, livestock or me, it gets a bullet.
    If it does not, and is just doing apex predator stuff in the wild, it gets a complete pass from this apex predator as a matter of professional courtesy.
    Exactly. I like your signature line: I'd rather have a hog problem than an asshole problem.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    That sucks. so You gave him permission to take his kid hunting and he thought that was blanket permission to go whenever he wanted? Damn..

Yes, and I see this quite a bit. Folks (hunters) rationalize in their own heads what permissions they were given. I had a buddy kicked off a huge ranch because he shot a coyote. The owner of the ranch did not want coyotes shot. It doesn't matter why, that was the rule. My buddy was granted access to the entire ranch and said he could kill every hog he saw and just leave them lay and the rancher would collect them. I think the place was 1500 or 2500 acres. My buddy shot a lot of hogs there. Then, he saw a coyote and shot it. He told us outright that there was no way that he would let a coyote walk and that he was doing the rancher a favor. The rancher found out and just that quick, he lost the best hunting place he ever had. Of course, he blamed the rancher for having unrealistic expectations, LOL.

I am continually amazed by how many hunters know better than the landowners about how the landowners want to manage their own properties.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yes, and I see this quite a bit. Folks (hunters) rationalize in their own heads what permissions they were given. I had a buddy kicked off a huge ranch because he shot a coyote. The owner of the ranch did not want coyotes shot. It doesn't matter why, that was the rule. My buddy was granted access to the entire ranch and said he could kill every hog he saw and just leave them lay and the rancher would collect them. I think the place was 1500 or 2500 acres. My buddy shot a lot of hogs there. Then, he saw a coyote and shot it. He told us outright that there was no way that he would let a coyote walk and that he was doing the rancher a favor. The rancher found out and just that quick, he lost the best hunting place he ever had. Of course, he blamed the rancher for having unrealistic expectations, LOL.

I am continually amazed by how many hunters know better than the landowners about how the landowners want to manage their own properties.
    All of the landowners I know have an “as needed” policy on coyotes. If you are shooting a lot of hogs , the coyotes are the most effective method of body disposal out there.

If the coyotes start to get brave and start creeping around living areas, chickens etc, usually shooting one will encourage the rest to go back in the woods and stay away.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    All of the landowners I know have an “as needed” policy on coyotes. If you are shooting a lot of hogs , the coyotes are the most effective method of body disposal out there.

If the coyotes start to get brave and start creeping around living areas, chickens etc, usually shooting one will encourage the rest to go back in the woods and stay away.
    And usually if the coyoyes are getting an easy meal off the hogs,they usually nwont' bother going sfter livestock or pets.

Top Bottom