• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I want to take some classes, but time and money...

Most classes are two days long. Then you got tuition, gas, ammo, lodging, or plane tickets if the instructor is a few states away.

It is worth it if the instructor has real world experience (the majority of instructors do not have real world experience). A lot to be learned that you aren't going to get from dry firing in the living room, watching videos, or practice at the local range.
    Military Camp

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've posted this before so I'll apologize in advance.

The 1911 that I shot that CHL target with has been in my possession since 1968. My fingers have worn their impressions in the front grip strap all the way to the bare metal. That takes a long time and many rounds to accomplish. If SHTF, that pistol is the one that I'd pick up to settle things.

If you want to be a good shot with a pistol, then quit typing on the computer and go out to shoot! There is no substitute for shooting that pistol..............except for dry firing. That 1911 has been dry fired tens of thousands of times since 1968 and I have black stickers on my wall to use as aiming points. Was the gun harmed by dry firing?........Heck no, and it made me a better shooter!

Buying gadgets won't make you a proficient shooter. Hands on skill will.

Flash

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    What Roger said is correct. However, having a class that fits your skill set is still a good idea. Most of us don't have ranges that allow "tactical" type training/practice. Best training available is training for situational awareness. If you see a situation developing, GTFO and call it in.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    People don't train because they don't see the need, have the time, or have the money. Those that see a need usually find the time and money to train.

The two most dangerous places in today's world:
    1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    People don't train because they don't see the need, have the time, or have the money. Those that see a need usually find the time and money to train.

1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

Hmm...I like that.
    Bob

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

Your right, my time spent with my child and money for her and her future do take priority over training for something that at this point in my life is unlikely of happening.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Your right, my time spent with my child and money for her and her future do take priority over training for something that at this point in my life is unlikely of happening.

Cool. Like I said some don't see a need and some do. It's a personal thing. If someone has no desire to train I respect that. If they do have the desire I have options for them.

1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Be certain that when you take a "class" that you end up with the skills that you want.

In Karate, I was being trained how NOT to hit. It was almost like being taught to dance! I didn't give a flip about duty, honor and integrity. Don't teach me how to pull a punch or to NOT hit. Teach me to break bones! I wanted to be a more proficient brawler and intended to HURT people!

I tied up with some brawlers who first whipped me, then taught me. They had brown belts in two forms of Karate and the late Matthew C. had a brown belt in Judo. Matthew tossed me around like a rag doll but I suffered and learned. In all of that, we trained in STREET clothes and in street shoes on real, uneven terrain. I worked out on heavy body bags and my punches connect. I cannot throw a pulled punch and each one is a bone breaker.

Try working a heavy bag. Done correctly, it will all but cripple your wrists but you will hit........hard!

The Hand to Hand instructor in Oklahoma, invited me to fight him in their padded room. It was full contact with padded gloves. I came at him as a brawler, not a sport fighter. Once I swept his feet, he went down and I was all over him. Without the pads, both sides of his collar bone would have been shredded. A choke was coming next.

In fairness, Coy called in a very large Female Police Officer named Brenda and while I did OK against the two of them for a while, they ended up whipping me. I was hurt....badly!

SO...taking a class and learning fancy draws won't get you where you want to be. You are training to shoot people. If you aren't learning those skills, then save your money and keep shooting paper targets.

Flash

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would like to take training on the basics. Recoil managment was something I never got real good at Sure I got fairly good with the other fundamentals when I was shooting several times a week (objective term I guess), but that has dropped down the list and u don't spend near as much time with handguns anymore. I could have paid for many classes with the ammo I burned figuring it out, but I had fun so I wouldn't call it a loss.

Still, it comes down to priorities. I tend to put more irons in the fire than I have hammers to beat them with. I look at the cost of training, some unfinished projects, some necessities, and an actual training class falls towards the bottom.

Top Bottom