• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    From: https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2015/03/11/why-dont-people-train/

What are the reasons a gunowner might cite for not taking training, assuming it’s available, which is a separate issue? There are any number of reasons, such as:

• Time
    • Expense
    • Accessibility
    • Scheduling
    • Lack of motivation
    • Lack of incentive
    • Lack of understanding

Most people don't want to train, but why? According to the article, it varies and it is some combination of the above.

My focus in guns is defensive pistol shooting. The more I train the more I want to train and yes, I talk about it a lot on here and also marvel at why others, especially those who are into guns, into handguns and carry handguns do not put real efforts into training.

So, I'm not bagging on others. For instance, I do zero training for long range rifle shooting because: It's expensive, I'm not motivated and I don't have any incentive to do so.

Anyways, checkout the brief article and consider the bullets above. It helps make sense of things for me.

I believe it is the lack of motivation and understanding that stops most CHL folks from training more and in productive ways.

I'll be training this weekend and am getting ready to sign up for another pistol class as well.
    Hurley's Gold

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    For what?
    Civil war,
    Racial clashes,
    Economic collapse,
    Foreign invasion,
    Domestic terrorists,
    Home invasion,
    Parking lot mugging,
    etc.....

I'm not living in fear. But I'm not an easy target either.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For what?
    Civil war,
    Racial clashes,
    Economic collapse,
    Foreign invasion,
    Domestic terrorists,
    Home invasion,
    Parking lot mugging,
    etc.....

I'm not living in fear. But I'm not an easy target either.

Right, that is part of the conversation and something I acknowledged in that I do zero long distance shooting.

What is your incentive for long range shooting? Enjoyment? There you go, so it is something you practice, or possibly train for.

Practice vs training, so we can get that definition out of the way, they are not the same. Practice, without good training is not necessarily productive. I've practiced bad habits, until I started training.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    All right, I'll play:
    1. Time - fo sho. Any time I go to shoot, it takes 4-5 hours out of a day.
    2. Lack of basic training (not on your list and probably might be "understanding" but should be) I'm self-taught and that isn't saying much, but it is influential. I consider myself barely adequate, but I already know, spending some time with somebody, coaching you, who knows how to shoot, can be a huge influence.
    3. What Vaq said. I'm not living in fear either. I've also made the decision to take a bad guy/gal out should the need arise. It became crystal clear last week when I took my CHL class.
    4. You don't like fun. The only time I've ever competitively shot was on the .22 tree at Hicksville. I failed miserably, but it was still a hell of a lot of fun. If you don't want "I wan't to beat the other guy" mentality, you'd never train.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    17 sidebar threads coming . . .

th?&id=HN.608002451455871409&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    The military gave me a head start on weapons and tactics.
    I wasn't a paper pusher, or a mechanic, not that there was anything wrong with that

I handled all sorts of small arms every day I reported for duty, that was what I did

I've taken the rest from there over the past 30+ years. I have never taken a course except for CHL
    Not saying I wouldn't enjoy it or learn from it but I have my own range and my family shoots (trains) together several times per month.

As much as you wonder why people don't train, I wonder about some folks who are always into guns, buying, trading and talking about them, but they rarely go practice shooting. An friend's wife got her CHL and bought a purple Ruger and tossed it in her purse. There is stays. She never shoots it or practices manipulating it. Last time I saw it, it had 2 lbs of lint in the bore.

I live guns 24/7, they are in my life, 24/7

I think your question may be like a guy who lifts weights and starts to bulk up some and wonders why everyone don't do it and thinks "they don't know why they are missing out on"
    or the guy at work who gets on a healthy eating kick and tries to tell everyone they need to also

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    You ever have anything constructive to add? I mean, like 1/10 times? That'd be awesome.

Oh well, maybe next thread. There will be more.

That must be part of the "Christian" forgiveness you recently said you've found.

Which ties into your self-imposed "ban" that you recently said would happen (but hasn't)

Which ties into your slam on someone that knows more about female MMA than you (because you hate that)

Which ties into you just recently changing jobs, but post whoring even more since.

Which ties into your claim of having to "work" this weekend. (see above)

Which ties into you go **** yourself.

Start a thread about it too.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That must be part of the "Christian" forgiveness you recently said you've found.

Which ties into your self-imposed "ban" that you recently said would happen (but hasn't)

Which ties into your slam on someone that knows more about female MMA than you (because you hate that)

Which ties into you just recently changing jobs, but post whoring even more since.

Which ties into your claim of having to "work" this weekend. (see above)

Which ties into you go $#@! yourself.

Start a thread about it too.

Not sure what your point is here or what you are trying to elicit.

Contribute to the discussion if you have anything constructive.

I'm interested in improving my shooting abilities and helping others who are interested in improving.

If you aren't, go on ahead and move along.

#enjoyit

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I bet if Texas crime rates started turning into Chicago crime rates, there'd be a lot more motivation to train.

Also, many people understand and believe in using firearms as a tool for self defense, however, maybe some might still believe they can leave the "heavy lifting" to the professionals - police. Rightly so in some cases, I'm sure.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Not sure what your point is here or what you are trying to elicit.

Contribute to the discussion if you have anything constructive.

I'm interested in improving my shooting abilities and helping others who are interested in improving.

If you aren't, go on ahead and move along.

#enjoyit

I thought it was laid out well enough for you to understand.

At the very least for you to get the gist.

Maybe it needed more "Christian" vernacular.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I thought it was laid out well enough for you to understand.

At the very least for you to get the gist.

Maybe it needed more "Christian" vernacular.
    Start your own thread if you dont like mine. Post up some shot groups and lets discuss.

This is a big forum...lots of forums and subforums.

Still not sure what your point is. Say it plainly or move along.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    For me it is a couple of things. Cost and time are the big factor the second is finding a good place/instructor to work with. I have attended a couple of training classes, but after it is over there is no place to continue the drills on your own.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Time, money, and convenience are big factors on why I don't train. My proficiency level is high enough for all situations that I am likely to encounter.

Training is a good thing, but must be maintained. If you don't practice the skills learned you will lose most of them.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    For me it is a couple of things. Cost and time are the big factor the second is finding a good place/instructor to work with. I have attended a couple of training classes, but after it is over there is no place to continue the drills on your own.

Good call.

Did you find your classes helpful? If so, how were they more helpful than going to the range on your own?

Top Bottom