Guns International

Why does the forearm on my Mossberg 590 pump shotgun lock up sometimes and prevent hull from ejecting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Wait what!?!?! Of my two competition shotguns for 3-gun (Benelli M2 for Tac Ops and a Stoeger P3000 pump for Heavy), neither one of them really needs any attention for many many hundreds of rounds or more. No joke or embellishment at all here but my M2 has close to 25k rounds on it and has only been cleaned at most maybe 6-8 times ever. My P3000 is much newer and has only seen a few seasons of competition so the round count is much lower but I actually haven't taken it apart and cleaned it since putting it into service. It has been used in 2 or 3 dozen competitions since then, many of them being 150-200 rounds each. If you can't get more than 30-40 rounds out of a gun then there are some other problems going on there.

my bad… my competition guns are 125 years old and shoot black powder.
    Lynx Defense

DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    my bad… my competition guns are 125 years old and shoot black powder.
    Might be worth throwing that out there when a dude is looking for advice.:cool:

I’ve shot some buddy’s black powder stuff a few times and that is some seriously nasty stuff. With that, I can 100% see needing to clean super often. I just don’t think this poor fella with a 590 is going after the BP stuff with his gun or he probably would have mentioned it. But who knows, maybe not….:laughing:

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Might be worth throwing that out there when a dude is looking for advice.:cool:

I’ve shot some buddy’s black powder stuff a few times and that is some seriously nasty stuff. With that, I can 100% see needing to clean super often. I just don’t think this poor fella with a 590 is going after the BP stuff with his gun or he probably would have mentioned it. But who knows, maybe not….:laughing:
    I did once own a BB shotgun passed down from my father's family and sold many years ago. My 21st century problem is that sometimes the round can't be ejected as the forearm is 'locked'. Its a 22+ year old Mossberg 590. Something is hanging up between the forearm rods, shell ejector, bolt etc. It could be something out of alignment.

DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    I did once own a BB shotgun passed down from my father's family and sold many years ago. My 21st century problem is that sometimes the round can't be ejected as the forearm is 'locked'. Its a 22+ year old Mossberg 590. Something is hanging up between the forearm rods, shell ejector, bolt etc. It could be something out of alignment.
    So when it hangs up, what is the solution that you have found to fix it? Do you just brute force keep pulling on forearm and eventually it "persuades" the gun to open up. Yeah, yeah, that is an awful pun to make but how could I not? :laughing:

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    DougC,

The fact it runs smooth after clearing the “lock up” is puzzling. Do you know anyone near you with a 590? I’d be interested in comparing the action bars (including their ends) between the two examples.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    So when it hangs up, what is the solution that you have found to fix it? Do you just brute force keep pulling on forearm and eventually it "persuades" the gun to open up. Yeah, yeah, that is an awful pun to make but how could I not? :laughing:
    Yup, eventually with brute force the forearm retracts and ejects the shell. Does wonders for my time on that stage. :fire:So something is preventing normal pump action.

DFW_Warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2022
    Arlington, TX
    Yup, eventually with brute force the forearm retracts and ejects the shell. Does wonders for my time on that stage. :fire:So something is preventing normal pump action.
    Hmmmm, interesting. So it completely locks up, and then after you clear it, it works just fine again. It makes me think that something isn't bent as it would happen all the time.

Don't know. Every time I've seen it happen at a match or had it happen to me where the gun seemingly locked up and then started working fine, it was operator error. Now yeah there are a bunch of stories of the Benelli pumps having frame flex and when you are working the gun hard they will flex enough for the bolt to come free of the action bar but that is a show stopper when it happens.

Good luck figuring it out. First thing I would do then is try and switch up ammo to something of a different hull and base construction. Just start eliminating things one by one.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom