ARJ Defense ad

Why do so many tactical shotguns have 4+1 instead of 5+1 or more capacity?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I'm browsing shotguns on Atlantic Firearms. I think they're all imported from China or Turkey. What frustrates me is that so many of the pump and semiauto shotguns with tube mags have only 4+1 capacity. Why don't they all have 5+1 by default?
    I dont think tactical shotgun means what you think it does.

Now if you're talking tacticool shotgun......
    Venture Surplus ad

PaulyBagODonutz

Intelligent Gun Owner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2021
    Hidden in Texas
    Hmmm....I have one as well. It happens to be the third one I have owned over the years. Maverick happens to be a separate company from Mossberg, which Mossberg happens to be a stockholder in. Maverick is corporate affiliate of Mossberg.

It's not a chamber pin. It's called a magazine tube plug.

And if you had friends that were game wardens, then you should have known that anything more than 3 shells in a shotgun while hunting is illegal in Texas, as well as being a federal game law violation, and would not be posting misleading or false information.

I was just referring to the removal of the "magazine tube plug" would warrant a fine.

not how many rounds you actually had loaded. if you remove the "magazine tube plug" and still only load 3 shells, you can still be fined

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have a Mossberg 88. I had to remove the chamber pin to increase the chamber capacity since I use it for home protection. Not because it was built in another country, but because you can’t hunt with a shotgun with anything higher than 4+1.
    If you get caught by a game warden with the chamber pin removed you can be fined.
    Well, that is patently incorrect. You can’t hunt migratory birds with a shotgun that holds more than 2+1. https://www.fws.gov/le/hunter-responsibility.html
    Per federal law. As far as hunting something other than migratory birds, at least in Texas ( and most other states I have hunted in) how many rounds the shotgun holds is irrelevant.
    As someone else stated, you didn’t remove a pin from the chamber, you removed a plug from the magazine tube.
    Whoever taught your Level III class did a suckass job of it, as pump shotgun nomenclature is part of the class.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    No mag capacity to hunt hogs.

All my M88 guns came 6+1 from the factory with an 18” barrel. No pins or plugs needed to. be removed

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Well I have an O/U that is a Turkish made. For the price (around $500) it does what I bought it for. Pull trigger and boom. No plugs or pins needed since it only holds 2. It is actually a well made firearm, IMHO

For someone on a budget, some of the O/U's from Turkey, Spain and Brazil are pretty decent shotguns for the price. They are fine for hunting and occasional trips to the trap or skeet range.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I'm browsing shotguns on Atlantic Firearms. I think they're all imported from China or Turkey. What frustrates me is that so many of the pump and semiauto shotguns with tube mags have only 4+1 capacity. Why don't they all have 5+1 by default?
    The question that begs answering is why are you looking at pump action guns from China? Turkish ones could be okay (although I'd be leery even though I own a Turk shotgun but it's a single shot 410). From what I have seen, ones from China are pure garbage. I bought a Savage Stevens Security 320 back in 2015. Once I realized what a piece of crap it was, I could not sell it fast enough. Seen some others - also junk.

CAtoDFW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2021
    California
    The question that begs answering is why are you looking at pump action guns from China? Turkish ones could be okay (although I'd be leery even though I own a Turk shotgun but it's a single shot 410). From what I have seen, ones from China are pure garbage. I bought a Savage Stevens Security 320 back in 2015. Once I realized what a piece of crap it was, I could not sell it fast enough. Seen some others - also junk.
    I am interested in the Turkish ones. I just noticed that there happened to be some Chinese shotguns in the same boat (it might have been on another website), so I included it in the question, which isn't based on which specific country it comes from.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've got a pair of Winchester sxp defenders that were made in turkey. The one I have put rounds through shoots just fine. I'd bet there are a few shotgun owners that didn't know their cz, Winchester or other name brand shotgun is just a rebadged Turkish gun.

The Turks have come a long way as far as product quality. The canik pistols are well regarded enough for other companies to further rebrand them as TriStar has. Kinda reminds me of an old croation pistol we used to call the hs2000.

Anyhow, a pump shotgun is a simple machine. I might hesitate to buy their gas guns but an old fashioned pump should be GTG.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Getting back to topic. I recently found that European shells(some) run way over length even when designated as 2-3/4"(70mm). Not sure if that plays a factor in their respective capacities as marketed or not.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    My Turkish auto 12 gauge bullpup has 10 round mags! If it fails then the Remington 870 is always there.

Attachments

• PXL_20210228_203005392.jpg
      PXL_20210228_203005392.jpg
      375.2 KB · Views: 98
    • IMG_20180315_104203.jpg
      IMG_20180315_104203.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 101

mountainbull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2020
    montana
    Try 12 ga shorty shells, 1 3/4 long, and almost the same stopping power.
    No need for extended mag tube
    Look them up on targetsportsusa, probably out of stock

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

They must pass a sporting use test. No reason they cannot swap them out when they get here though like FN, Benelli do.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Those guns are going to be hit or miss as far as reliability and quality goes. From what I understand, the Turkish ones are better, but not universally so. Some apparently can be quite good. Regardless, I recommend a Mossberg instead. It'll outlive you and your children.

Top Bottom