• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Raised cattle for 40 years...happiest day of my life was when I closed the chute on the last one going to another rancher down the road. It was interesting, but as noted VERY labor intensive and not real profitable. But there was just something about running cattle that gets into your blood.

For most people that raise cattle, it's for many reasons, and money being one of the very few, or least of reasons. Many, it's a way of life, and because they enjoy the lifestyle.

There can be money made in raising cattle, but if it was just about making a profit, there are much less risky means than raising cattle, or really any livestock for that matter.

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    For most people that raise cattle, it's for many reasons, and money being one of the very few, or least of reasons. Many, it's a way of life, and because they enjoy the lifestyle.

There can be money made in raising cattle, but if it was just about making a profit, there are much less risky means than raising cattle, or really any livestock for that matter.
    When you have grass, it's more profitable to sell it as beef.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    But it's a lot less work and easier schedule to sell it as hay.

First year, my brother bought about 50 round bales for his cows for the winter. The next year, he started with buying a larger tractor, a cutter, a rake and a baler so he could bale his own hay. He just recently bought a newer and better cutter. Dad and I were installing read hydraulic hook-ups on the rear of the other tractor to run the new cutter. We use the largest tractor to pull the baler.

First year we baled hay, we ended up with a surplus of about 40 round bales. He sold a few, but for the most part, that year was pretty good for hay for everyone and haw that was being sold was being sold really cheap. The main goal of our baling hay is not to sell hay, but that we can bale hay for out cows, and not being dependent on having to buy expensive hay from other people.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    That’s the problem with hay. When you have it so does everyone else and it’s cheap. When the price is up you don’t have it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    That’s the problem with hay. When you have it so does everyone else and it’s cheap. When the price is up you don’t have it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far, we are ending up with a surplus of hay. Next winter, after the calves are dropped this year, we will need about 15 to 20 more bales for the cows going into winter. Our main goal is not to sell hay, but so we have hay for our cows.

But for the most part, you are correct. Around here, for the last two years, hay prices were way down.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Lot’s of folks just have cattle, horses, goats or sheep but they aren’t raising them they just like to buy shit.

Lots of folks get horses and then discover that you can't get an ag exemption with them unless you're breeding them and raising to sell.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lots of folks get horses and then discover that you can't get an ag exemption with them unless you're breeding them and raising to sell.

Interesting information. I didn't know that either. Not that I would own any horses. IMO, horses are the highest maintenance of all types of livestock and very expensive.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Interesting information. I didn't know that either. Not that I would own any horses. IMO, horses are the highest maintenance of all types of livestock and very expensive.
    They are indeed.
    I married a barrel racer. She's been a wonderful partner.
    The horses have been pretty horsey.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Gave up an ag exemption. Rather pay the tax. Heard Dell Computer in Austin ag exempted a ton of property. If it’s legal it’s legal.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Gave up an ag exemption. Rather pay the tax. Heard Dell Computer in Austin ag exempted a ton of property. If it’s legal it’s legal.
    My Sis has hers in wildlife habitat exemption. Fairly easy. They have a quail feeder, couple of deer feeding stations with protein blocks and a tank. The State even sets out hog traps and they have a man come out to butcher the hogs ( all sizes) and he then cooks the meat and donates the meat to Veterans in need. All fairly easy and straight forward and the State has been a big help.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    My Sis has hers in wildlife habitat exemption. Fairly easy. They have a quail feeder, couple of deer feeding stations with protein blocks and a tank. The State even sets out hog traps and they have a man come out to butcher the hogs ( all sizes) and he then cooks the meat and donates the meat to Veterans in need. All fairly easy and straight forward and the State has been a big help.

How does he get away with donating the hog meat. I’m helping a landowner nearby trapping and was looking into donating the meat and hit a roadblock. Wild hogs are treated just like domestic and they must be inspected by a usda inspector before they are killed in order to donate/sell the meat. Is he also a certified usda inspector?

Top Bottom