• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I don’t think that not yielding to emergency vehicles is because of distracted driving (e.g., cellphones). I think it is the mentality in our society today. There is no respect, the rules if known don’t apply, and everyone expects to have the right of way.

I know it had been a very long time since I got my first license, but the cars merging on the freeway do not have the right of way and cars coming out of parking lots do not either. We have an area nearby that we refer to as the gauntlet because of cars shooting out of the two parking lots across from each other when the drivers get tired of waiting. There are wrecks there on a regular basis.

I was not talking about failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

I was talking about people blowing though intersections turning in front of ect ect.

here is a sample from youtube

Texas SOT

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    I rode only about 50 miles last night but boy did it feel good!
    I am getting another injection in my left elbow today so can't ride for a few days again but might as well since rain is supposedly coming.
    Y'all be safe out there!

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I was not talking about failure to yield to an emergency vehicle.

I was talking about people blowing though intersections turning in front of ect ect.

here is a sample from youtube

Texas law requires us to operate with “due regard”,
    meaning that trying to blow through an intersection with siren and lights puts the onus on the emergency vehicle driver. I watched the first half dozen or so of those crashes and the emergency vehicles didn’t even slow down enough to get a good look first. All appeared to not be in the US

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    meaning that trying to blow through an intersection with siren and lights puts the onus on the emergency vehicle driver. I watched the first half dozen or so of those crashes and the emergency vehicles didn’t even slow down enough to get a good look first. All appeared to not be in the US

Well I am glad I was totally wrong about people in the US and they have never ran into or had to slam on brakes due to an emergency vehicle going code, they did not notice till it was to late.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    In many countries outside our "li'l" world, emergency vehicles have so called "absolute right of way". And yes, it is as scary as it sounds.
    Many patients and ambulance crews have lost their lives while assuming that everybody could see them and hear them and would yield.
    Some countries are wisening up and changing that specific traffic law but some are just hard-headed.

Here in TX (and other states), regular drivers have a duty to yield to emergency vehicles. However, that cannot be taken as an absolute.
    I routinely see emergency vehicles stopping at intersections for cars that won't yield.
    Although, OTOH, I have almost been hit by a squad car flying out of a side street across my path. He had lights on but no siren. He missed my bumper by inches.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    All of Shady's linked vid were in Russia or nearby countries.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Well I am glad I was totally wrong about people in the US and they have never ran into or had to slam on brakes due to an emergency vehicle going code, they did not notice till it was to late.
    Drama queen much? You were off base, simple as that.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Crossed my 1st wood (deck only?) bridge today on Millmac Rd. just west of FM 1484 while meandering from Willis towards Coldspring. Other than Texas and probably still in Walker Cnty, I had no idea where I was and didn't care, I was just enjoying the ride. :cool:

1st wood bridge 20210404_165945.jpg

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I'll have to take a thermos of Ramen noodles for lunch but at least I can ride now.
    '09 K1300GT with 19K on the clock. Freakin horn is so loud it scared me and I punched the button!
    Looks like the weather will suck for a few days. :(

View attachment 213290

That was May 13, 2020 and 19,226 miles to be exact. Today's ride ticked 34,296 miles on the ole girl so 15,070 in just under 11 months. A few rides to work, the vast majority just for grins. :cool:

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    Crossed my 1st wood (deck only?) bridge today on Millmac Rd. just west of FM 1484 while meandering from Willis towards Coldspring. Other than Texas and probably still in Walker Cnty, I had no idea where I was and didn't care, I was just enjoying the ride. :cool:

View attachment 250785
    You're still in Montgomery County in Cut N Shoot, TX. Where Caney Creek flows under Millmac road. How do i know? My bride of 32 years lived right around the corner when I first met her.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX

There is a wooden deck suspension bridge (Regency Bridge) northwest of San Saba. You can watch the deck sort of roll as vehicles cross.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    You're still in Montgomery County in Cut N Shoot, TX. Where Caney Creek flows under Millmac road. How do i know? My bride of 32 years lived right around the corner when I first met her.
    I spent at least 10 min there and didn't get so much as a date, how long would I have to stay to find a good woman? :what:

I thought I was much farther east and no idea how far south I'd gone, it really is blessing to ride and not care where. :)

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    There is a wooden deck suspension bridge (Regency Bridge) northwest of San Saba. You can watch the deck sort of roll as vehicles cross.

I'm familiar with it but haven't been there, yet! Texas Country Reporter did a story involving it years ago and it's often discussed on a bike forum, I will get there some day.

FYI, the bridge has been closed to all but foot traffic for quite a while now and I've no idea when vehicles will be allowed again.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I'm familiar with it but haven't been there, yet! Texas Country Reporter did a story involving it years ago and it's often discussed on a bike forum, I will get there some day.

FYI, the bridge has been closed to all but foot traffic for quite a while now and I've no idea when vehicles will be allowed again.

I was just checking out my pictures - we were there in 2017. I wonder why they closed it. Based on the location there can’t be too many people using it as a regular route to anyplace. Edit: I found some info.
    2CE4429F-DC2A-4165-9303-0A0520832DA9.jpeg

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX

We kept seeing the sign for years driving past on 16, and one Sunday morning were eating lunch at Alamo Springs and decided to ride out there. We all had summer ventilated jackets on and ended up riding through a half dozen gully washers on the way home. Thankfully my tank bag had a rain cover so at least we kept wallets dry. It was only maybe a 100 mile ride each way but damn we were cold.

Top Bottom