Join TexasGunTalk

Who Was/Is The Most Inspirational Firearms Person In Your Life

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Glenn B, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Yep very dangerous, glad I had someone there to teach me. Sorry to hear about the folks y'all knew.

MetalCutter likes this.
  2. HKShooter65

HKShooter65 TGT Addict

My dad.
    No close second.

He taught me safety. The prime directive.
    He taught me trigger and breath control on an old pump Winchester 22WRF.
    He taught me too respect for the gift of nourishment game animals provide us.

All shooters should be so lucky.

He passed in 2002.

SURVIVOR619, Glenn B, deemus and 2 others like this.
  3. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Ha! Dave is great! I go out there every week or so - I'll have to tell him you said that.

Glenn B and MetalCutter like this.
  4. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My biggest influence was my uncle Obie. He was just a farmer in Thrall TX - but flew in a B-17 in WWII. As a kid, I lived to go out to his farm and mess around. My highlight was always shooting. My dad was indifferent but appreciated the workmanship on guns. Uncle Obie understood the fun of it for a kid.

5. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    My wife's grandfather, who I grew up next door to.

SURVIVOR619, Glenn B, Orbie and 2 others like this.
  6. innominate

innominate Active Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    My dad. Marine. Deputy sheriff. FFL.
    aSkyBQK.jpg

7. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My dad. Taught me how to shoot and bought all my BB, pellet, 22 and shotguns. Taught me how to reload shotgun shells with a homemade reloader. Took me on every hunting trip in Texas and Oklahoma. Heck, I was dove hunting with a full size 20 gauge with light loads at age 7.

Unfortunately, he later had some issues and skipped out before I was an adult and we haven't spoken in 35 years. But we had good times hunting, building things and working on cars before I was a teen.

SURVIVOR619, Glenn B and Orbie like this.
  8. Roscoe1612

Roscoe1612 New Member

Jan 6, 2020
    Georgia, USA
    My grand father was the hunter and sportsman. He gave me all of his outdoor magazines to read which cultivated an interest in hunting and fishing. Him and I and Nanny went on many a successful fishing trip and as I got older the talk turned to hunting and turning 16 and getting that hunting license. There was that lever action 30/30 I was going to use. But then when I was 15 there was a heart attack and I was a troubled teen and got tossed out of school and went in the service as soon as I turned 17 and then he got colon cancer and that was that. Now I am 76. I live on 80 rural wooded acres and I have already handed off rifles and pistols to my two grandsons.

9. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Ego kills talent TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    My uncle & bother

SURVIVOR619 and Glenn B like this.
  10. roadapple

roadapple Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Claude, Texas
    My Dad taught me gun handling and gun safety. He also taught me how to aim using open iron sights. He bought my first BB gun, a Red Rider, when I was 8. He bought me a pellet rifle when I was 10, or 11.

I was always around firearms while growing up. They have always been my favorite thing as far as I can remember. All of my friends, and their families, had owned firearms. Almost everyone I knew hunted and went shooting often.

As an adult, I would have to say Col. Jeff Cooper. I always read "Cooper's Corner" first, every time I got a new Guns & Ammo magazine. He reinforced my love of 1911's. I got to meet a fellow that used to work as an instructor for Gunsite when Col. Cooper was still running it. I regret I never personally met the Col., but Bill told me a lot of stories from his time at Gunsite.

I also like Craig Boddington, and his love of magnum rifles for hunting really big game.

I've had so many experiences in life that concerned firearms. I have heard a lot of stories, some of them true!
    Since I am retired now, I have been thinking about writing a collection of stories called: Guns & Alcohol. If I can get permission to use enough of the stories, I just might go through with it.

SURVIVOR619, Orbie and Glenn B like this.