• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertgamble

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland, Tx
    I am scheduled to have this done as well as a bicep tendon relocated so it stops the tearing process. I am pretty scared, and would like to hear from people who have had it done. Of course, this being a gun forum I will probably feel worse :-).
    Guns International

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have not had the cuff surgery, but I’ve been cut open a few times and I have had the arm put back into the shoulder socket after a fairly violent complete dislocation.

Don’t be scared of the surgery; be scared of your PT masochist.

Do the PT. It WILL suck. Learn to embrace that suck.

It only took me nine months to be able to do push-ups again.

servis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2016
    Denton County
    you will learn to love that machine. It will help keep swelling down the first few days. Good advice to embrace the PT. I was in exceptional condition before the surgery. Completed PT in 12 weeks. PT still sux.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I am scheduled to have this done as well as a bicep tendon relocated so it stops the tearing process. I am pretty scared, and would like to hear from people who have had it done. Of course, this being a gun forum I will probably feel worse :-).
    Damn..sorry to hear that
    Which upper tendon is tearing? The long or short head?

At least they can fix that.
    If you tear the tendon away from the muscle, there really is no way to fix that type of tear.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    What kind of procedure? It sounds like you have impingement syndrome.

ETA. I ask because an open proceedure is worse than a simple scope proceedure and if you do have impingement syndrome that involves removing bone that tendon slides thru. That is even more painful initially.

All that said it wont be that bad with meds. The bad part will be the initial PT.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I been needing that procedure for nigh on 30 years.
    Can't chunk a dirt clod more than 20 yards without a few days of pain. Been nursing a torn meniscus in my left knee for a couple of decades too. I mind my step more than most.
    Point being. I'm not a paid athlete. I can function without pain and go on without being cut on and put through torture by a therapist.

If you need to obtain that high of a level of performance, I tip my hat to ya.
    Best of luck and a prayer for the surgeon's skill.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Tore my cuff doing a stupid heavy bench press. I stopped working out and it healed in 6 or 7 years.
    Wife dislocated shoulder and had a reduction which is much more involved than it sounds. It involves moving the joint into its normal position. That resulted in a plate and 6 weeks of PT.
    Very painful and rewarding in practice.
    Best wishes in your upcoming endeavors.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Yup, my shootin arm too dammit.
    Off work for about 4 months. PT was actually alright. But I don't mind the pain that much. I also did the excersises at home as well as PT with the doc's permission so it went faster than normal. The first 24 hours were not to bad. The next 24 was the worst once the meds wore off. After that I just had to be careful what I did.

I can't stress enough, follow the surgeons directions to the letter. Or you will regret it.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Tore my cuff doing a stupid heavy bench press. I stopped working out and it healed in 6 or 7 years.
    Wife dislocated shoulder and had a reduction which is much more involved than it sounds. It involves moving the joint into its normal position. That resulted in a plate and 6 weeks of PT.
    Very painful and rewarding in practice.
    Best wishes in your upcoming endeavors.

Pretty much this

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Took a really hard fall about a month ago. Chainsawing up a big tree, taking out a big limb. Limb pops and swings around to hit me in the shoulder, am on a 10 ft ladder and get knocked off the ladder, hit the ground on the same shoulder that got hit by the big limb and to make it worse I land on a stump with my shoulder.

Well PT places here could not work me in sooner than a few weeks some of them out to Dec, so I stopped off at the PT clinic and asked what are they going to do and it basically some stretching exercises. OK, fine I don't need it as I have a Gym membership. Billy Goat Gym, yea, 355 lb rough cut mower that under its own power it goes forward and back. However, it does not go in any other direction. My place is covered in trees and the upper and lower body work out is unbelievable.

Before
    img_1243_med_hr.jpg

After
    img_1249_med_hr.jpg

PT, I don't need no stinkin PT!

Remember: Pain is evil leaving the body!

Attachments

• img_1243_med_hr.jpg
      img_1243_med_hr.jpg
      526.1 KB · Views: 195
    • img_1249_med_hr.jpg
      img_1249_med_hr.jpg
      472.4 KB · Views: 175
    Last edited:

Bertgamble

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland, Tx
    Damn..sorry to hear that
    Which upper tendon is tearing? The long or short head?

At least they can fix that.
    If you tear the tendon away from the muscle, there really is no way to fix that type of tear.
    I don't know if it is the long or short one. It is the one that, if you lose it only takes away about 25% of your strength.

Bertgamble

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland, Tx
    What kind of procedure? It sounds like you have impingement syndrome.

ETA. I ask because an open proceedure is worse than a simple scope proceedure and if you do have impingement syndrome that involves removing bone that tendon slides thru. That is even more painful initially.

All that said it wont be that bad with meds. The bad part will be the initial PT.
    It is going to be done by arthroscopy, so no open surgery.

Bertgamble

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2019
    Midland, Tx
    I been needing that procedure for nigh on 30 years.
    Can't chunk a dirt clod more than 20 yards without a few days of pain. Been nursing a torn meniscus in my left knee for a couple of decades too. I mind my step more than most.
    Point being. I'm not a paid athlete. I can function without pain and go on without being cut on and put through torture by a therapist.

If you need to obtain that high of a level of performance, I tip my hat to ya.
    Best of luck and a prayer for the surgeon's skill.
    No high level performance for me, but the stabbing pain in the bicep whenever I move the shoulder is what has to go. I have lived with the shoulder for years, and would have continued. Can't handle not being able to use my right arm though.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I don't know if it is the long or short one. It is the one that, if you lose it only takes away about 25% of your strength.
    Thats because the brachialis is the primary elbow flexor but part of a group of muscles that bend the arm.
    Good luck to you, I hope all goes well.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Are you a surgeon, or do you just have a lot of experience with this? You are very knowledgeable.
    Ha ..far from it. I just read quite a bit and have been strength training for the last couple of years. I used to have poor shoulder mobility and used to hear all sorts of noise coming from my shoulders...lol...until I started training . I work on my external and internal shoulder mobility every week as part of my training.

I injured my distal bicep tendon (lower) doing atlas stone lifts and went through six weeks of PT. Tendons, in general have poor blood flow and heal slowly compared to other tissue. The PT program is designed partly around healing and mobility.

I still have some small issues with the long head tendon but that is a posture and upper back issue that I am working on and correcting.

The sites leading expert on physical fitness and rehab is of course, Ole Cowboy. Leading medical professionals consult with him..lol

Top Bottom