• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    I've been reloading for 20+ years now and have never crimped a single round. I go through about 200 rounds of 9mm a week and never had a problem and have AR's in 223, 6.5 Grendel, as well as a 458 socom. So far I've never had a problem or seen an issue with any rounds removed from a magazine after shooting part of the mag. Am I missing something by not crimping all this time?
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I understand bullet setback is a concern but has anyone ever had it happen?
    I have had a few bullets get set back by chambering rounds multiple times, mostly from clearing carry firearms loaded with factory ammo before I learned to rotate the first round.

I have had rounds jam and set back bullets too, factory and handloads.

That being said I only crimp for tube magazines and heavy magnum rounds.

Proper bullet/ neck tension and removing the bell is my standard loading practice for everything else including AR ammo.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Only put light crimp in some pistol rounds. Don’t crimp anything for rifle, including autoloaders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I taper crimp my .45 ACP rounds as they won't chamber without taking the flare out. It's also a flat nosed 200 gr bullet I'm using and I don't want to seat them any further.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I crimp for revolver, taper crimp for semi auto pistol. Don't crimp for rifles, inc. for the AR. Now if I had a 30-30 or a machine gun......................................................

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I've been reloading for 20+ years now and have never crimped a single round. I go through about 200 rounds of 9mm a week and never had a problem and have AR's in 223, 6.5 Grendel, as well as a 458 socom. So far I've never had a problem or seen an issue with any rounds removed from a magazine after shooting part of the mag. Am I missing something by not crimping all this time?

Yes, you are missing the point of crimping and the cases where it useful or even necessary. If you haven't found a reason in 20 years, that's good for you and the calibers you load but crimping has a real place in loading for important reasons even if you haven't "needed" it.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've had .44 mag bullets walk out of their brass and tie up revolvers before, so yes, I crimp them. I will only use cannalured bullets for them too. I crimp .357 mags similarly, and you have to crimp .38 special wadcutters. I really don't crimp anything else.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    I understand bullet setback is a concern but has anyone ever had it happen?
    Bullet set back is the result of the brass sizing die being too big. The crimp has very little to do with the tension on the bullet, since it also "sizes" the bullet to be smaller.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I crimp for all my tubular magazine rifles and hunting rounds, range fodder I do not crimp, self defense loads are all crimped, Why? Heck if I know! The tube mag is obvious and I have had 44 mag slide out enough to prevent cylinder rotation.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Try shooting a light revolver without crimping and find out why revolvers are not immune to failure. Lee factory crimp on anything I load.

Top Bottom