• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    seeing options for this on many firearm brands who changes their 9 to a 40 or vise versa or 10 to a 45 or opposite? having extra barrels in the same brand of gun you've already own is great as you can shoot the same cartridge in another w/o buying a complete gun? well..............i'm 1 to change barrels for what i want..................having a m&p 40smith on order and a kkm barrel in 357sig. i only bought the 40 as there's no m&p in 357sig available.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Case rim are different diameters, extractor sit at different distances out from the primer, and firing pins are different.
    It would take a slide assembly change also, not just the barrel.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Case rim are different diameters, extractor sit at different distances out from the primer, and firing pins are different.
    It would take a slide assembly change also, not just the barrel.
    i know right! thing is, many only sell barrels for whichever brand it is (glock as example) from going down 40 to 9. firing pins stays centered and not making any difference, but the extractor would be or need to be changed in my opinion.

red442joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Michigan
    Having 357 Sig/40 S&W barrels is a no brainer.
    I have a Lone wolf 40/9 barrel, as well as G31 barrel, for my G22 that have no issues.
    I have 9mm barrels for my Cz40B, and RAMI 40, that have no extractor issues. I have a pair of mags that feed 40 or 9 reliably.
    I do seem to recall having to clearance the front of an extractor hook for a 40 to 9 gun, but don't recall which.
    I have Wyoming Arms Parker Pistols in 45 and 10mm...I will have to check breech face width, and extractor spacing...
    Firing pin centering and vertical height don't seem to be an issue.

Joe

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I swapped a SIG P226 from .40 to 9mm with just a barrel and mag swap. Runs fine. I've also done this with G-guns but I swapped the complete slide/barrel/mag to get that working right. Nice to have options, for sure.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I swapped a SIG P226 from .40 to 9mm with just a barrel and mag swap. Runs fine. I've also done this with G-guns but I swapped the complete slide/barrel/mag to get that working right. Nice to have options, for sure.
    I only own one Glock (raffle prize). G23 converted from 40 to 9 with barrel and magazine swap. Apparently 9 even works fine with the 40 mags.

Bncadvr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2024
    League City
    I have a 9mm barrel on the way for my newly acquired .40 P226. I've heard some folks recommend a 9mm recoil spring as well, which I suspect might be needed for softer 115 loads. I thought about getting a .357 barrel too, but I really have no interest in it and not like there are deals on ammo lol.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I have a 9mm barrel on the way for my newly acquired .40 P226. I've heard some folks recommend a 9mm recoil spring as well, which I suspect might be needed for softer 115 loads. I thought about getting a .357 barrel too, but I really have no interest in it and not like there are deals on ammo lol.
    Having worked on a similar conversion, you might need a different slide-lock. I wasn't able to get the 9mm 226 mag to lock back. Barrel fit fine and rounds feed/eject adequately, with dummy rounds, but lock on empty didn't work. Those are not expensive parts, but you might look into that now instead of finding out later.

PS. I have a threaded barrel and 9mm mag, unfired, here for doing just this sort of conversion, that I'd let got for less than I paid.

Top Bottom