Target Sports

Whiskey, Bourbon drinkers....leave the Scotch out of it. ;)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    But they don’t actually make it. Much like many, many others, it’s MGP juice.
    ETA- but it is damn good.

I’m aware; Spec’s sells it for what an MGP product should be priced at; a local mom & pop with one of the best selection of BTAC and other limited releases sells Smoke Wagon at $95/bottle. I kind of laughed at them when he recommended it as a good value at that price.

Interestingly, MGP is now owned by Luxco and is putting out product as MGP of Indiana and under the Ross & Squibb label (formerly George Remus Straight Bourbon and Rossville Union Rye) at a super premium price.

Today’s whiskey trivia: MGPI used to be the Seagrams distillery and MGP’s Kansas distillery does vodak and gin.
    Military Camp

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    It is, on both accounts. Up 281 from your place, but before Blanco is Andalusia Whiskey Company. Good, but not Garrison Brothers good. Worth a visit if you haven’t been.
    I’ll check it out. Also heard there was a good distiller in Dripping Springs that I may visit when temps get back below 80.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    After watching the documentary “Chasing Whiskey” on Amazon (cost $10 I think), I’ve been keeping Jack Daniels stocked at the house. Honesty always enjoyed Old No. 7 but always thought they were overhyped. I now think they are just an incredible American Success story!

Jack is made 100% conforming to bourbon rules, but the charcoal mellowing process changes the game so they cannot be labeled as bourbon.

As with all my whiskeys, two fingers and ice for me…

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’ll check it out. Also heard there was a good distiller in Dripping Springs that I may visit when temps get back below 80.

There’s a couple in/around Dripping Springs. First is Dripping Springs Distillery, primarily vodaks and gin but they also are the contract distiller for 1876 bourbon.

Then there’s Cypress Creek who does pretty good rum. Closer

Milam & Greene is up near Blanco, too. They’re pretty much NDP, but does some distilling in small batches. Their stuff is drinkable, but I think it’s
    overpriced.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Ppl
    There’s a couple in/around Dripping Springs. First is Dripping Springs Distillery, primarily vodaks and gin but they also are the contract distiller for 1876 bourbon.

Then there’s Cypress Creek who does pretty good rum. Closer

Milam & Greene is up near Blanco, too. They’re pretty much NDP, but does some distilling in small batches. Their stuff is drinkable, but I think it’s
    overpriced.
    This is the Dripping Springs bourbon I mentioned…Treaty Oak. It’s cask strength so I’m gonna take it slow and see how it goes. Already had one finger on ice…

It’s smooth, but about 5 seconds after you have a drink, it kinda give you a punch in the throat… 54A110AA-D0E1-4A90-9ABA-98FB3C5B682E.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ppl

This is the Dripping Springs bourbon I mentioned…Treaty Oak. It’s cask strength so I’m gonna take it slow and see how it goes. Already had one finger on ice…

It’s smooth, but about 5 seconds after you have a drink, it kinda give you a punch in the throat… View attachment 335385

Was that at Class VI?

I’ve had their Red Handed Rye (now branded as Schenely). That was a little sweet for my taste. I should give their Ghost Hill bourbon a chance.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Ppl

It’s smooth, but about 5 seconds after you have a drink, it kinda give you a punch in the throat… View attachment 335385
    well, 3 drinks in and alls well. Smooths out nicely if you let the ice mellow it a bit.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Reviving this thread. Added these two to collection.
    2a7864cb302de468995b491a27f7223c.jpg

The Tincup is frustratingly good. It’s watered down to 84 proof yet still has great flavor. I’d live to taste this at cask strength
    f4a1f5033d6c3d8a07dc8799438c9aa6.jpg

I missed this release last year when it was $65. It’s now at $90 and is unlikely to live up to it’s price point, but I’ll still give it a shot.

Right now Smoke Wagon’s Uncut The Younger is my favorite of the year.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ER or BT nowadays.. Can't go wrong with either at the price point

View attachment 411656

Eagle Rare is fine if you got it at $90 or so. I refuse to pay 2 bills for it.

I’m working on the first tasting of the OF King Ranch. First pour definitely improves the longer it breathes. First taste was neat from a glencairn and while it was smooth for a 105 proof, there was a long finish from the mesquite that was…..unique would the word. A bit of water was added for the second sip and that opened up the flavor and cut the aftertaste, balancing it out in a nice way.

I’m interested to see if changes now that a little more surface areas has been added in the bottle.

westly

Car Enthusiast By Day. Engineer By Night.
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Houston, TX
    Eagle Rare is fine if you got it at $90 or so. I refuse to pay 2 bills for it.

I’m working on the first tasting of the OF King Ranch. First pour definitely improves the longer it breathes. First taste was neat from a glencairn and while it was smooth for a 105 proof, there was a long finish from the mesquite that was…..unique would the word. A bit of water was added for the second sip and that opened up the flavor and cut the aftertaste, balancing it out in a nice way.

I’m interested to see if changes now that a little more surface areas has been added in the bottle.

Eagle Rare is about $35 here in south Houston with taxes. Couldn't imagine paying over that for it, it's great at $35.
    I tried OF awhile back at a bar but I can't remember if I liked it or not. Would definitely give it another go if I could ever find it in stores.
    Cheers!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Eagle Rare is about $35 here in south Houston with taxes. Couldn't imagine paying over that for it, it's great at $35.
    I tried OF awhile back at a bar but I can't remember if I liked it or not. Would definitely give it another go if I could ever find it in stores.
    Cheers!

You better buy every bit you can, because that’s below wholesale price.

Hell, share the name of the store and I’lo make a road trip to buy a case at $35/bottle.

Top Bottom