Guns International

Whiskey, Bourbon drinkers....leave the Scotch out of it. ;)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What is the big difference between bourbon and Scotch?Iknow both are whiskey, but beyong that really know very little.

Scotch is whisky. Bourbons and all else are whiskeys.

Scotch is made from a single type of grain, usually barley, while bourbon is made with a minimum 51% corn and them other grains are added to make the whiskey sweeter or spicy. Scotch is generally a barley distillate and sometimes peated and usually has a sharper taste. Bourbon mixes more widely and better than scotch does.

And his/her majesty collects no taxes from bourbon production.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Been enjoying this one lately. Smoke wagon uncut and unfiltered. Pretty solid imo.
    73f014c5e5859e6816362b9f247e108c.jpg

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    That changed a while back. Thanks to Congress. Carpetbaggers and revenuers saw an opportunity and took it.
    It was never Tennessee, it was Kentucky. But again, bourbon can be made anywhere in the US. A pretty high quality bourbon made 100% in Texas (Hye) is Garrison Brothers. It is excellent but not cheap. Cool story if you’d like to hear their tale:

Bourbon must be 51% corn

Aged in charred, new (cannot be reused) white oak barrels for 18 months minimum

There are alcohol % levels for when it goes in the barrel and when it comes out and must be cut with water accordingly.

Bourbon barrels are often shipped to Scotland for the reuse to age their whisky, but some wine makers are starting to age product in bourbon barrels.

During prohibition, the Scots lost their barrel supply and turned to the Euro wine makers for their used barrels. Port barrels were quite popular.

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Sorry but that stuff all tastes like paint thinner to me.

But my experience is minimal.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Hmmmm used to love a lot of different bourbons, scotch wasn't a favorite, though I enjoyed McAllan, but finally preferred Irish booze, 16 year old Bushmills and for everyday tipple, Jameson.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My idea of a great day is a bottle of Ten High, a Spam sandwich, my dog and an old John Wayne movie.

I never much cared for it, but my grandfather always had a bottle of Ten High hand. There was a door in the kitchen that led up to the attic. The Ten High resided on the third step. When people came over the door was opened, the bottle retrieved and everybody got a shot.

He had much better taste in food, and I don't ever recall seeing a can of Spam anywhere in his house.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    The title said to leave Scotch out of it so I have little to say, other than that I was working a horse show in Fort Worth a couple months ago and on Grand Prix night they had an open bar featuring local beers, wines and Whiskey.
    I am not usually a bourbon drinker, but gave this a try.
    Not bad at all, but still prefer a good smokey scotch.

Attachments

• TXBourbon.jpg
      TXBourbon.jpg
      273.3 KB · Views: 38
    Top Bottom