Target Sports

Which .22 LR rounds are cleaner than average?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Which .22 LR rounds are the cleanest with regard to the needed frequency for cleaning and lubricating when shooting alot of targets in a given day?
    Lynx Defense

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Hehe I shoot the shit out of those but I wouldn't call em clean. You will get some noticeable scunge after a box or so in a long barrel.

I second the automatch for a reasonable option for volume shooting

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    1657849358055.jpeg

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    I have shot a very wide range of .22 ammo over the last several decades in rifles and handguns. If there is truly a difference in one being cleaner than another, I haven't really noticed. My chief criteria for .22LR ammo have always been reliability, reliability, and reliability, with accuracy a close 4th place .

IMO, all .22 ammo brands are dirty, regardless of price or other factors, whether copper plated, lead round nose, etc.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Now that you mention it..ive noticed that the Ely rounds in general are not a fouling as others I've shot.
    I've only shot the Force and Contact
    Ely is great 22 ammo and not just terrible prices considering

ATN2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2022
    Texas
    I've shot many different .22 ammo through both of my guns and have not found one that I would say is any cleaner than any other.

They are all about the same and the only one that I had a real problem with was the Remington Thunderbolts which leaded up my Glock 44 very badly.

I have been shooting lots of Federal Automatch for the last year or so because I can buy it cheap, and it's just as dirty as anything else I shoot and it is very unreliable ammo. Frequent failure to feed and failure to eject, and underpowered rounds are common.

Once anything else becomes available anywhere nearly as cheap as I'm buying automatch (6 cents a round), and I can shoot up the stash of that crap that I have already bought, I will switch to another ammo.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    More often than you have been to charm school.

So once then, huh? There’s no harm seeking new knowledge but understanding how much knowledge a questioner has on a particular subject can provide context which may lead to greater learning as a whole.

Asking a question that can only be answered subjectively on a topic that’s as old as firearms themselves doesn’t provide much insight to your knowledge or experience so I might as well start pulling the context out.

Or you can do a quick google search and find plenty of responses to this very same question. Ain’t nothing new under the sun on this particular topic.

Top Bottom