Target Sports

Whetstone Knife Sharpening: A Dying Art?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    I don't know what kind, but he doesn't have a band saw... He wants one but hasn't progressed to that point yet. He uses a hand powered meat saw for ribs and chops. For the present he mostly bones everything out. He just does for his own use and if a friend has a hog or steer he will help them.

Back in the day, I used a little DeWalt bandsaw for deer and small hogs. I'd freeze the meat and cut it frozen. Worked great but it was hell cleaning up and drying. I eventually stopped using it for that. It was as more work setting up and cleaning afterward than just doing it by hand.

He just texted me and said he sharpens at about the angle you described.

Alan

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I don't know what kind, but he doesn't have a band saw... He wants one but hasn't progressed to that point yet. He uses a hand powered meat saw for ribs and chops. For the present he mostly bones everything out. He just does for his own use and if a friend has a hog or steer he will help them.

Back in the day, I used a little DeWalt bandsaw for deer and small hogs. I'd freeze the meat and cut it frozen. Worked great but it was hell cleaning up and drying. I eventually stopped using it for that. It was as more work setting up and cleaning afterward than just doing it by hand.

He just texted me and said he sharpens at about the angle you described.

Alan
    When I was 15, I got a job after school and on weekends at the little grocery store in our town ( population ~2000). My job most days was to stock shelves, but on Saturday mornings I spent about 4 hours in the meat department taking all the band saws and grinders apart to clean them. That's a messy job for sure. Not a fun job, but looking back, it taught me a lot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    When I was 15, I got a job after school and on weekends at the little grocery store in our town ( population ~2000). My job most days was to stock shelves, but on Saturday mornings I spent about 4 hours in the meat department taking all the band saws and grinders apart to clean them. That's a messy job for sure. Not a fun job, but looking back, it taught me a lot.

Things were different back then. That's likely a daily job these days.

Alan

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Things were different back then. That's likely a daily job these days.

Alan
    Cleaned once every 24 hour for the markets over all. Grinder & teenderizers after ever use. You cut beef then pork or have to sanitize. If pork to beef, you sanitize. Chicken should be segregted, to it's own area, then sanitized. It does not take take long to learn that pork, chicken & seafood bacteria will give you infections quicker then beef.

When I started cutting meat in 1982 guys would do there own deer after hours, but that stopped.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2021
    Victoria, TX
    I know the quickest way to get yelled at in the kitchen is to get raw chicken or turkey near anything else and then not sanitize afterwards... Consequently I don't do much in the kitchen involving raw poultry...

Alan

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    how many Custom Knife knife makes do you know personally
    I think you mean "makers", and as it happens I know quite a few. I've made a few knives myself, though I'm only a hobbyist and not doing it as a professional. I've been known to hang out on some knife forums and I'm an admin on one of them. I've got custom knives in my office from probably a dozen makers and one I collaborated in making. Several knife makers are good friends. One of them won an episode of "Forged in Fire". I also have an American flag in my office that was flown in Afghanistan. It was given to me by a Lt. Col. (now sadly deceased) for helping him get some custom knives built while he was making the Taliban very, very angry - or dead.

None of them use a Tormek. Hence my comment. It wasn't meant to be an indictment; it was merely an observation.

I've also done some leatherworking (though not recently for some reason). Sheaths and such. Got some friends that do that as well. A couple of the guys who taught me (or tried to) were pretty legendary.

There's a Texas Custom Knife show in Conroe on November 19th at the Southern Star Brewery.

Also a really fun show in Bellville, usually in April.

Look for me, I'll be wearing the shirt that says, "Did Axx55 really ask me that??" ;)

sce.mag_tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2022
    Magnolia, TX
    My ill-advised method is the following.

An old craftsman 1/4 Electric motor with 1/2" Arbor, 10" circle cut piece of birch plywood (securely mounted & smooth sanded to 1000grit), green polishing bar, White Diamond Metal Polish and Face/Eye Protection.

Low Heat and Shaving Razor sharp.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom