• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimijames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Texas
    Hi all! Been a great few months getting acquainted to owning and shooting my pistol at a range. I’ve been new to all things gun ownership, and all things living in Texas so it’s been a learning process getting acclimated. Love it all. (I voted today btw, all red across the board. That’s a first and it felt great.)

Anyway, my question: I’d like to venture out into the wilderness on a hike somewhere, set up a steel target, and fire off rounds in seclusion. Im originally from New England, and although I didn’t own a firearm, hiking out to remote areas and taking in nature was a favorite pastime of mine. I’d like to do the same in Texas, but also go shooting

I don’t know where to begin with this activity though. There doesn’t seem to be readily available information other than hunting protocol. Whatre some thoughts on how to legally and safely go about hiking and shooting? Best practices? Your experiences?
    Military Camp

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    TX public hunting land exists. Venture there. I can't imagine that with the correct hunting permits and licenses you'd have a problem.

Last edited:

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    When members list roughly where they are in this great (and enormous) state its easier to make reasonable recommendations.

I don't have but a measly 20 acres so "hiking" is kind of a stretch but I welcome about anyone to come shoot pistols.

On the plus side you're never far from the smoker or the beer fridge.

ETA: BYOA

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Unfortunately OP you’re hosed.
    There just isn’t much if any public land open to shooting in Texas.
    It’s all privately owned with restricted access.
    You’ll have to go out to New Mexico or Colorado to find open land to shoot on.
    The public hunting areas in Texas don’t allow unrestricted shooting.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Howdy and welcome to TGT.

118693483_615040282733713_4438964922138568362_n.jpg

Voting RED is the only way to go.
    Thanks.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Hi all! Been a great few months getting acquainted to owning and shooting my pistol at a range. I’ve been new to all things gun ownership, and all things living in Texas so it’s been a learning process getting acclimated. Love it all. (I voted today btw, all red across the board. That’s a first and it felt great.)

Anyway, my question: I’d like to venture out into the wilderness on a hike somewhere, set up a steel target, and fire off rounds in seclusion. Im originally from New England, and although I didn’t own a firearm, hiking out to remote areas and taking in nature was a favorite pastime of mine. I’d like to do the same in Texas, but also go shooting

I don’t know where to begin with this activity though. There doesn’t seem to be readily available information other than hunting protocol. Whatre some thoughts on how to legally and safely go about hiking and shooting? Best practices? Your experiences?
    Best advice I can give you is understand when you’re new to shooting your handling skills, range rules, and muscle memory are developing. If you’re going to be on your own be sure to not get lazy in developing those things.

other than that have fun. In Texas you really gotta get to know people. Not a lot of public land and a highly populated state.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Be really carefully shooting at steel targets. Make sure you know what you are doing if you find somewhere to do that on your own.

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    Public land where you can set up steel and shoot, basically zero in Texas.
    I think you must somehow get to know someone with enough land and get them to allow you to set up on their land. I know my son-in-law has some friends that own some property outside of Dallas and they let him go out there and do that with his kids. It's just some guy he knows that is also a fireman and is OK with SIL using it. But it is a couple of hours away from home and he only goes out there maybe a couple of times a year. Not very convenient.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    For a nominal sum you can become a gun club member.

How much is a nominal sum?

About $200.00 for an annual membership. In today's dollars, that's a bargain.

As you've been advised finding a no cost place to shoot is a big, big challenge, joining a club...not so much.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    For a nominal sum you can become a gun club member.

How much is a nominal sum?

About $200.00 for an annual membership. In today's dollars, that's a bargain.

As you've been advised finding a no cost place to shoot is a big, big challenge, joining a club...not so much.

But clubs have rules... I hate rules!!!

Top Bottom