Where do you plan to eat on “Free Food Day”?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I would totally be eating at Fogo De Chao for their 50% off special if the in-laws weren’t dropping by to visit literally that day…going to have to find what I will be able to hit now thanks to them.

Hurley's Gold

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I make a big day out of this every year. The last few years, I have gone out with some Vet buddies and eaten all day long. I look up the local places and what they have and plan the day out to eat as many times as I can. I go in, have the special, order a drink and leave a nice tip at every place
    I track my calories for each meal and I try to hit 5000-6000 calories.
    The most I every got in was 5600 and that was tough..lol

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I make a big day out of this every year. The last few years, I have gone out with some Vet buddies and eaten all day long. I look up the local places and what they have and plan the day out to eat as many times as I can. I go in, have the special, order a drink and leave a nice tip at every place
    I track my calories for each meal and I try to hit 5000-6000 calories.
    The most I every got in was 5600 and that was tough..lol
    1635910028242.png

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    tnj,

I don't quite know why, but I too find this kind of thing off putting...and I'm a Vet.

U.S. Army / 67 thru 73 / MOS 11C10

As do I. I served my country and her citizens to do my duty, not for a free meal. We generally stay home that day - some of the vets that go obviously need a good meal, but others are simply looking for a handout, and I was raised better than that.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I don't set out to get a deal. I know the Vet discount at Lowes had been enough to make me decide on a project.
    Don't really feel like the country owes me anything. I volunteered to serve. Would rather someone that needs a meal eats rather than stretch my own belt loops.
    When I think back on my service, in total, I received more than I gave. At least in life's lessons learned.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I also avoid these promotions. I appreciate the thought and to each their own on what they take or not.

I do support and appreciate Businesses who offer veterans discounts. I generally accept the 10% savings when offered, but this Veterans Day free food deal, especially with the crowds, isn’t my thing.

Last edited:

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I like near San Antonio, which is probably the most veteran-friendly city I’ve ever lived around. LOTS of places offer vet discount.

But with a huge active duty and veteran population, it makes sense. At one time, there were 4 (maybe 5???) USAF active duty bases (Randolph, Lackland, Brooks, Kelly, another?) here, plus Fort Sam Houston Army post. So it makes sense to entice and cater to your community.

I appreciate and generally accept discounts offered. I don’t push nor do I avoid businesses who don’t offer them. At restaurants that advertise the discounts, I generally add the savings into the tip, assuming I got good service. I am a pretty good tipper regardless as long as I get good service as I’ve had lots of friends who worked as waiters and waitresses and understand how it works.

I also accept veteran discounts when offered by Academy, Cabelas, and Lowe’s.

Finally, whenever anyone, after applying my discount (or at any other time), says “thank you for your service”, my reply used to be “thank you”. Now, it’s “Thank you, and thank You for your service and support to those who serve our Nation.”

That seems to make a lot of folks smile!

Top Bottom