Patriot Mobile

Where can I go shooting outdoors for free?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Probably nowhere unless you know someone with property outside the city limits or have a friend who will pay your range fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    From TPWD:

Q: Is it lawful to hunt or target shoot in or on a public lake or stream?

A: Hunting or shooting is prohibited on numerous rivers and lakes by local ordinance or by statute.[SUB]20[/SUB]Shooting and hunting on lakes and rivers presents practical challenges even where not prohibited by law. For example, it is a crime to discharge a firearm projectile across a property line, such as shooting from a state-owned streambed onto or over the adjacent private property.[SUB]21[/SUB] Additionally, if the animal or bird escapes to or falls on private property adjacent to the water, the hunter is faced with a dilemma: Retrieve the animal and risk committing the offense of trespass, or stay within the area open to the public and risk committing the offense of waste of game or failure to retrieve.[SUB]22[/SUB] It is not lawful to hunt on or over private land that is flooded by a public stream, if the submerged private land is properly posted.[SUB]23

[/SUB]
    You need to look up local laws regarding discharging firearms. I know in Montgomery county
    you can discharge a firearm anywhere outside a subdivision. That means you can find a spot along San Jacinto River in Montgomery county, and shoot as much as you want.

http://www.mctx.org/dept/departments_c/county_attorney/docs/Discharge_of_Firearms.pdf

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Range fees are the smallest cost associated with shooting if its just the money aspect. If you're looking for less rules then you're asking the wrong question.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Joshsquatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    San Antonio
    Thank you alexrex20 I will look into that right now actually.

@ TundraWookiee: From what I have read, range fees seem to be more than just the smallest cost with shooting, here in San Antonio at least. The rules were another issue, and I probably should have stated that as well. I will look more into the local laws as alexrex20 stated.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    What rules in particular do you have issues with? Perhaps a few of us may know of alternate ranges, albeit not free, that may be more to your liking. Where are/were you shooting at?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    It costs absolutely nothing to go shooting for free on the East Side, South Side, and West Side.

If you don't want to go blasting there, it WILL cost you a nominal fee ($9-12) to visit an area range.

bertizzie89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    san antonio, texas
    yea like itchin said, bullet hole is probably the best option if rules are the issue. the private bays are 15 bucks for 2 hours, they allow rapid fire, bump fire, and ive seen people with select fire rifles, heard em too! you can bring your own targets so long as they arent things that blow up, make a mess, or ricochet!

Top Bottom