• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Best thing I did was buy the Workshop Ken Onion knife sharpener (as recommended by the folks on this site). Makes it quick and easy to keep the blades sharpened and any decent knife cuts well.
    Texas SOT

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Since my cooking wife (yes I have one and the waistline to attest) use her knives for everything from cleavers to screwdrivers I find good sharpeners are just as important as good knives. We have a steel but I am not too good with it. We have a couple of Chicago Cutlery boners that we have had for 25 or more years, they do the job well and are easy to sharpen with a draw through sharpener. A guest apparently liked a third one since we haven't seen it since they left. May get a Forschner just to try it out. For my smoking chores I went to a restaurant supply store and bought a big butcher knife and a long blade slicer. Butcher knife really makes short work of trimming briskets, knocking off char after smoking etc. Don't think I would try vegetables with it, at least not in my hand.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have two bigger knives from work, a 8 inch breaking knife and 10 inch steak knife. After all my years on the job holding a knife many days all day the hand & wrist just didn’t want to use them any longer.

I also add that I trained lots of apprentice meat cutters. Most people use a knife like a saw, which they clearly are not.

I too have a 14 inch Scimitar. I broke a good portion of the blade trying to cut palm frons. Now its used to cut pizzas. Those big ass blades were for cutting full sized rounds. Full cut rounds are better cut on a ban saw.

Anything over a 8 inch blade on a brisket to trim or slice is using the wrong knife for the job!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    www.warthercutlery.com. Warther is a family business that has been making knives for 100 years. They make EXCELLENT knives and while they're not cheap, they really do a great job. You can go Ebay and find old Warther knives selling for nearly what the new ones go for. They make a very nice, long, thin bladed knife for cutting brisket. I have one and can vouch that it does an amazing job.

You can buy a cheap WalMart knife and hack through your brisket and curse how often you have to sharpen it just to do ordinary kitchen work, or you can pony up a few bucks and buy a real knife that will last 100 years. Also, Warther will re-sharpen your knife for free (plus shipping).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I will add this as well. Spend some money on quality made knife, learn to care for it, sharpen it, and take care of it properly, and it will be money well spent and will last you a lifetime.

Want to know why a great knife is so expensive? Because they are worth it!

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Some factory outlet malls have cooking shops. If you know what you are looking for then that might be an option.

Dillards and Macy’s will have decent consumer grade knives. Might be able to fine it there.

I use Cutco.

Sent from Mordor using an iPhone.

Top Bottom