• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I was hoping there was some place I can go to in person to get a good cooking knife. I want to try and smoke a brisket this weekend. If it could also cut vegetables with ease, that would be nice too. I haven't had any luck with finding a decent knife. Wusthof 4580-12 kitchen knife, 4 1/2" was the last knife I bought. It's so so.

I kinda remember my grandmas knife. Got it in the early 2010's and it had it's own sheath with a built in sharpener. I feel like the blade looked like it was hardened tool steel or something. I think it was like $30 or something.

But yeah, I'm looking for a knife that is actually good and isn't going to hurt on price.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Military Camp

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've had Wusthof knives and also Calphalon knives. Both work very well and keep a good edge.
    I think I got them from Williams Sonoma

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I was hoping there was some place I can go to in person to get a good cooking knife. I want to try and smoke a brisket this weekend. If it could also cut vegetables with ease, that would be nice too. I haven't had any luck with finding a decent knife. Wusthof 4580-12 kitchen knife, 4 1/2" was the last knife I bought. It's so so.

I kinda remember my grandmas knife. Got it in the early 2010's and it had it's own sheath with a built in sharpener. I feel like the blade looked like it was hardened tool steel or something. I think it was like $30 or something.

But yeah, I'm looking for a knife that is actually good and isn't going to hurt on price.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

Higgins909,

At the risk of being ''Captain Obvious'', may I suggest that you talk to REAL EXPERT on the subject, i.e., a PROFESSIONAL MEATCUTTER and/or a REAL CHEF & ask him/her what he/she buys & where.

yours,,satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I used Forschner knives while cutting meat & continue to use them. A French Chefs knife just doesn't feel good in my handle. I can do everything with a 6 inch curved boning knife in the kitchen or breaking animals.

This might be more knife then you need or would feel comfortable with, but it does show available @ Walmart. These are great in they are dishwasher safe. Keeping it sharp would require a sharpening steel & you would need to learn how it's done. A good steel aint cheap!

Bead Bath & beyond also shows them

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The best knife I’ve ever handled was as good in the kitchen as it was in the field. My grandfather handmade it from a chunk of carbon steel. The blade was about 8” long; it had a full-tang hilt with wood grips riveted on.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The best knife I’ve ever handled was as good in the kitchen as it was in the field. My grandfather handmade it from a chunk of carbon steel. The blade was about 8” long; it had a full-tang hilt with wood grips riveted on.
    The problem with carbon steel is rust. To many people won't keep them clean dry or oiled. Carbon steel won't pass a health inspection, nor will a wooden handle.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The problem with carbon steel is rust. To many people won't keep them clean dry or oiled. Carbon steel won't pass a health inspection, nor will a wooden handle.

I didn't know about the health inspection part, but yes, carbon steel will rust, so it requires a bit of care from the user, but, they can develop a patina from age ans use that stainless steel won't. But the luxury of home use, no health inspections!

A lot of chef's don't buy knives, they are hand made for them, and hand made custom chef's knives, rival the costs of any other hand made custom knives being made. Several hundreds of dollars to a couple thousand dollars in price. And you get on waiting list for one!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I worked with a chinaman for a lot of years He kept a old nasty cleaver & it always was a gig on the report.

My first knives had rosewood handles. I don't remember what year when Houston banned them.

As important as a good knife might be what you cut on is just was important. I lucked out getting a set of old blocks. I cut one into 3 different sizes. Gave 2 wholes to my buddy who is big time into hunting for butcher deer on.He has no clue what happened to them thinks ex wife has them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I worked with a chinaman for a lot of years He kept a old nasty cleaver & it always was a gig on the report.

My first knives had rosewood handles. I don't remember what year when Houston banned them.

As important as a good knife might be what you cut on is just was important. I lucked out getting a set of old blocks. I cut one into 3 different sizes. Gave 2 wholes to my buddy who is big time into hunting for butcher deer on.He has no clue what happened to them thinks ex wife has them.

A lot of chefs and cooks have knives for certain tasks in the kitchen as well. The knife has to fit the task. The blade bevel and style of the grind also makes a huge difference in how a knife performs in various tasks of cutting. Some blade designs and styles do lent them to multi-tasking, but there are times when a dedicated knife is needed for certain jobs.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A lot of chefs and cooks have knives for certain tasks in the kitchen as well. The knife has to fit the task. The blade bevel and style of the grind also makes a huge difference in how a knife performs in various tasks of cutting. Some blade designs and styles do lent them to multi-tasking, but there are times when a dedicated knife is needed for certain jobs.
    Give me a 6 inch curved boning knife.

Today I pickled some red onions, and made pics de Gallo + cut the back bones out of 2 whole fryers for spatchcock. Did it all with the boning knife.

Forschner makes a great/ cheap parring knife the make great table steak knives. They rock at parring too!

Forschner is part of Victoronex of Swiss Army Knife game.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

Today I pickled some red onions, and made pics de Gallo + cut the back bones out of 2 whole fryers for spatchcock. Did it all with the boning knife.

Forschner makes a great/ cheap parring knife the make great table steak knives. They rock at parring too!

When I get things a bit more organized and get the materials, I plan on making some custom chef's knives to put up for sale. Over the last few years, from what I have been reading in various places, kitchen and chef's knives are one of the big trends in custom knifemaking. And people are spending big bucks for them.

If I can sell a few knives, I can buy some more ammo! :banana:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas

I figured the Mrs's would want more than a 6" boning knife :roflfunny:

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I bought a set of Henckels knives back in 1998. Always kept in a wood block, never went in a drawer or the dishwasher. Held the edge perfectly. I finally sharpened them last year, I mostly use the 8 inch chef Knife. But each person needs to use what they like best.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    My grandfather-in-law was a butcher all his life and I inherited his knives. Most are Forschner. One of them is the biggest damn knife I've ever seen. It has like a 14" long blade that kind of looks like a cutlass. Everytime I pull it out to slice a brisket my son yells "Boarding Party!!!".

He also has an old knife that's marked U.S. Navy and is the sharpest knife I have ever used. I don't use it anymore. Too scary, that's how sharp. Then I have a very good Calphalon knife my wife brought me home from the Goodwill for $1.00. Super sharp and stays that way if you give it a few passes through the sharpener on a regular basis.

Just go to a department store or a gourmet store. Good knives cost good money, in the long run they are less expensive because you only buy them once. They'll last a lifetime if cared for.

Top Bottom