• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    It is very convenient to drop that 5-shot revolver into your pocket as you go out for that loaf of bread or gallon of milk. You think to yourself, “I’m just going to the corner store- nothing is going to happen”. What if something does happen? Will 5 shots be enough to get you home?

The small frame short-barreled revolver is a very popular concealed carry piece. Well known as the Snub Nose, J Frame, and Chief’s Special – the Chief’s Special was introduced in 1950. The Chief’s Special is a .32 caliber sized frame lengthened to accept the .38 Special. In 1950, the small frame .38 Special was state of the art. Is 5 shots state of the art now?

read more here
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    That's why they invented the TR8! lol... In all seriousness, yes more bullets are more better. What's better still is when someone just loves their gun because they think it's cool, and that love is what gets them excited to practice with it. Pretty much everyone on here is a gun nut and is going to enjoy shooting no matter what. You've got to remember that most people however aren't going to apreiciate a gun just because it holds more rounds. It's aesthetics and feel that turns them on. If a new shooter thinks old school revolvers are cool, I recommend they get a revolver. If they love it, then they'll love practicing with it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I will always have a warm regard for the revolvers I have...an old Colt .357, a pair of Webleys, a couple of Nagant 1895s, plus a few others; but the day of the revolver for self-defense is a bit past in my book.

I cannot think of any reason to choose one over a modern semi-automatic for concealed carry; but that's just my opinion and I suspect some will disagree...

But the bottom line is that you'd be hard-pressed to find a law enforcement agency or military that still issued revolvers for operational use. There's a reason for that.

Cheers! M2

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I will always have a warm regard for the revolvers I have...an old Colt .357, a pair of Webleys, a couple of Nagant 1895s, plus a few others; but the day of the revolver for self-defense is a bit past in my book.

I cannot think of any reason to choose one over a modern semi-automatic for concealed carry; but that's just my opinion and I suspect some will disagree...

But the bottom line is that you'd be hard-pressed to find a law enforcement agency or military that still issued revolvers for operational use. There's a reason for that.

Cheers! M2

Agreed, except IMO where the micro autos come in. I would take a compact .38 with +p in it, then any of the .380's out there. Most hold 5-7 rounds as well. If I need to have pocket gun that is. Normally full size auto for me.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I have no distrust in the j-frames. It's not a common thing to get into a firefight, though if it happened, i'd trust the one that isn't as affected by pocket lint a little bit more.
    Not saying i'm a Glock hater here, they have their place and if you like them and are comfortable carrying them and firing them, by all means do.
    The J frame has been around for so long because it works and works well. We've come into a sort of relapse of more cartridges than necessary, I recently read an article that called the .35 Remington outdated and not suitable for even whitetailed deer sized game, if that's really true, should all those who hunt with .30-30's, an even lesser powered round, just abandon what has been putting meat on the table year after year?

We can't get too caught up in what's new and higher capacity when we still have a standard that hasn't quit working yet.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Model 36 Chiefs Specials have gone in and out of my life for years. I really like them and that's why I always have at least one. I also got hooked up with a Model 640 in .357 magnum. It's a hammerless J Frame in SS. If 5 shots of that won't put an end to an argument, you need to send out for some Kryptonite 'cause the guy in the cape isn't going down!

I always pocket carry and if I could stuff a "J" frame in my pocket as easily as a KelTec or Ruger LCP, I would do so gladly.

Flash

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm on the same page Jon. ;) I carry a G17 w/ 2 extra mags (49rds total) every single day and everywhere I go. At some point I am considering either doing the slide mounted Trijicon RMR on my 17, or possibly doing so on a G19 and carrying like that, like Gabe. Why fight fair? Might as well cheat if you have to fight at all. ;)

I can't find the link at the moment, but in the past when I've been doing research I've found some crime statistics that were certainly eye-opening to say the least. According to the FBI UCR's, in defensive encounters something like ~33% of the time there are at least 2 or more attackers. Roughly ~20-25% of the time there were 3 or more attackers! Those are some pretty big percentages. I would never roll the dice on those odds. I don't mind the inconvenience of a slightly larger gun and extra ammo. Best case I get a bit more exercise lugging the gear around. ;) Worst case it will hopefully be enough for me to be capable of stopping the threat if I ever get in that sort of situation.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Don't get the idea that I dislike the J Frame because I have a few. When I do carry a snubby it's as a second "roving" gun. It's just a rarity that I will be armed with only a J Frame. Guys, thanks for the replies and don't forget you can reply on the blog.

Top Bottom