• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Agreed. I really wanted one. Then I stood next to one and realized I couldn't fit even if I were half my weight and 3 inches shorter.
    Waist high is just the right size for a car.
    1683553647844.png

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    those vehicles required a driver to be 5'10" or less and have a "normal" BMI
    Comments like this always amuse me. I'm 6'3" and on the high side of overweight; have been obese in the past. The x1/9 isn't even the smallest car I've driven. An original 500 is probably the smallest closely followed by a Honda Beat. Despite being smaller, the 500 has more room as old cars just have less bulk to them.

Here at 1:10 you can see me very briefly sitting in a 500. Doesn't look ridiculous at all.

MG Midget is next with a surprising amount of leg room, but the steering wheel rubbed my belly :laughing:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Comments like this always amuse me.
    10 years ago I decided to buy a new Miata. I went to the dealership, sat in the driver's seat, and looked over everything. Looked great.

Then I tried to close the door. It hit the blubber off my left hip while the edge of the door was 6 to 10 inches from closing.

Total no-go.

I've sat in small cars plenty of times. I just have to get into them like I get into an airplane seat. That is, make sure the seat belt ends are splayed out as much as possible, semi-stand in the seat with my butt 6 inches off the seat, close the door, grab the seat belt ends to keep them from being hidden by my bulk, the squeeze into the seat and fasten the seat belt. It's fine in the short term as long as I'm the driver. In fact, I used to go to lunch often with a co-worker who drove a Miata, then a 2nd-gen MR2, then a Miata again.

I could have closed the door on the Miata at the dealership but if I did, my blubber would have rendered the steering wheel unusable.

By now I know I'm never going to own a small car of any kind. I just want to remove enough bulk to be able to sit in one comfortably.

Come to think of it, I may have already reached that point. I should find a Miata and try sitting in one again. Hmm...

Top Bottom