• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jonas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    houston
    I'm trying to decide whether I should change my ammo. Right now for home defense I use federal premium hydra shok.
    Is there something out there with more stopping power for a 9mm?

-Jonas
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Probably not. I prefer the Barnes bullets for mass retention, but in terms of stopping power you are at the mercy of shot placement.

Look into the Corbon DPX, it's my ammo of choice when I had a 9mm.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I'm with JKTex and JimT on placement and function. Whatever you choose make sure you use it regularly. Don't assume cause it's expensive or highly rated it will run in your gun.

If you do decide to go with a special high dollar ammo I would shoot through one or two of your carry mags each trip to the range or monthly if you are a range regular.

Chris

czechmate82

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    My answer to the question of the best 9mm round is the 124 grain Federal HST in either standard pressure or +P (I hear the 147 grain HST is really good too...I just don't trust 147 grain in 9mm). I currently use 124 grain HST +P, because my Stoeger Cougar 8000 only has a 3.6" barrel (need the extra power to ensure proper operation of the hollowpoint). My second choice would be the 124 grain Speer Gold Dots +P from DoubleTap ammo.

Infamous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    theres no magical round for stopping, i dont care what any fancy ammo manufacturer says. besides, its a pistol round, it sucks for putting down a bad guy period.

now that said, pick something from a good manufacturer like federal, corbon, speer gold dots, winchester ranger. its not gonna be a big difference.

im with all of the guys above me as well, shot placement is key. people die from 22s frequently as well

woulf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bryan, TX
    Shot placement is the biggest factor in any handgun caliber. But my choices of Gold Dot short barrel and Federal HST, both in 124 +p flavor, will sure help bad guys decide to go elsewhere.:D

Top Bottom