• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Grilled some burgers ay the wife request. I had a burger Monday in Groesbeck @ Mary's Breakfast & Burger Barn. And I had one Saturday. Granted the one Saturday was venison with venison chorizo mixed in, but it was outstanding!

Monday's burger wasn't bad but for a place with Burgers in it's name it wasn't all that. And I have had neighbors tell me I had to go there!

My burgers tonight lacked lettuce, tomato & onions, simply because we don't buy lettuce for burgers and most tomato we have bought for burger are wrecked by the time we get them home. I could have sliced some onion, but I'm a lazy fat boy! I in no means crank out a stellar burger. It sure aint a Special fro Bellaire Broiler Burger! I generally cook frozen patties that I make up out of 80/20. I'll buy a family pack 7 press out a bunch of burgers. I like the way a frozen patty doesn't stick to the grill grates. And I like having a stash in case someone comes over. Unlike my wife i can eat a burger on lightly toasted bread.

The biggest thing I find of mediocre to a bad burger is the lack of seasoning on the meat! I thought everyone kept salt & pepper around. Thickness of an unseasoned patty even multiples a burger that sucks. After all most burgers are assembled when you get it. if it aint I generally will salt & pepper it!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    If you have good meat and good buns, and grille the burgers right, you don't need a bunch of vegetables on the burger to make it taste good.

I grilled some last night for dinner, and all I put on them was a little mustard, and a slice of pepper-jack cheese. Made some homemade french fries to go with it. Had one for lunch today with just a little mayo on the bun. Didn't miss the vegetables one bit.

And we might even have burgers tonight!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Growing up there was McDonald’s and a few independent burger joints. I don’t remember lettuce and tomato on a burger until Burger King came to town. That was about the time the Big Mac rolled out.

Independent joints did burgers, chili burgers, burgers with grilled onions! Most all the independent places served chili too. Ketchup, mustard, onions & pickles were the norm.

Mayonnaise started around the time Burger King showed up! Then Swiss & mushrooms burgers. Growing up it was always American cheese, never bacon either.

My chef buddy grew up in the Original Prince’s Famous Hamburger family. He explained mayonnaise as being a moisture barrier between bun & meat. He also explained the order of lettuce and tomato and onion.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Growing up there was McDonald’s and a few independent burger joints. I don’t remember lettuce and tomato on a burger until Burger King came to town. That was about the time the Big Mac rolled out.

Independent joints did burgers, chili burgers, burgers with grilled onions! Most all the independent places served chili too. Ketchup, mustard, onions & pickles were the norm.

Mayonnaise started around the time Burger King showed up! Then Swiss & mushrooms burgers. Growing up it was always American cheese, never bacon either.

My chef buddy grew up in the Original Prince’s Famous Hamburger family. He explained mayonnaise as being a moisture barrier between bun & meat. He also explained the order of lettuce and tomato and onion.
    When we were young, the only fast food places we ate at was Dairy Queen. The first time I tried a McDonald's was in high school!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Dairy queen. Used to have the 99 cents meal deal. Burger drys drink and dessert.

This us the 70s? Back when your parents kicked you out the house after breakfast.

We would go thru the trash cans for bottles. Kids would fight for territories where only they could pick the trash and work a different part every day. We would always try to get enough bottles for lunch and a few quarters for video games once they started showing up. Very rarely would we go hungry.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Dairy queen. Used to have the 99 cents meal deal. Burger drys drink and dessert.

This us the 70s? Back when your parents kicked you out the house after breakfast.

We would go thru the trash cans for bottles. Kids would fight for territories where only they could pick the trash and work a different part every day. We would always try to get enough bottles for lunch and a few quarters for video games once they started showing up. Very rarely would we go hungry.
    I remember my grandparents bought their sodas by the case, in those wooden cases, and you put the empties back in them, so they went back to the store for credit on the empty bottles.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I remember my grandparents bought their sodas by the case, in those wooden cases, and you put the empties back in them, so they went back to the store for credit on the empty bottles.
    My grand parents used to goto the bottling plant and back up the truck and fill it with DR pepper. Now days you cant do that nor can you store soda like that cause they dont use sugar.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Since the wife is still working and I get to have fun all day being retired, the biggest decision I usually make is what to have for my brunch and being in DFW my list varies between healthy and nasty. There are too many great burger joints and I fired Whataburger long ago, a heretic act in Texas but so what. I always ask her what she'd like for dinner that I can grab somewhere and varies from the deli at Whole Paycheck to our favorite pizza joint since 1968 and she asks for their spaghetti and garlic toast, and " honey, pick up a few bottles of my favorite Pinot Noir" to go with it after her hard days work. Retirement is tough...

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Torchy's Tacos....Chips n Queso, 1 Brushfire, 1 Tailgater (Sept taco of the month), 1 Baja Shrimp. Decent tacos but running $4 to $5 per taco is a bit rough. They also got smart and offer Coke products now instead of that Maine Root shit.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Torchy's Tacos....Chips n Queso, 1 Brushfire, 1 Tailgater (Sept taco of the month), 1 Baja Shrimp. Decent tacos but running $4 to $5 per taco is a bit rough. They also got smart and offer Coke products now instead of that Maine Root shit.
    I kind of miss La Michoacoana Meat Market we had in the old neighborhood. Great cheap taco made for real! I see a taco stand in Jewett but have yet to try it.It's to far to send the wife for tacos when I don't want to cook or we need groceries!

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I kind of miss La Michoacoana Meat Market we had in the old neighborhood. Great cheap taco made for real! I see a taco stand in Jewett but have yet to try it.It's to far to send the wife for tacos when I don't want to cook or we need groceries!
    Tacos are EVERYWHERE down here. We liked to go to what we called "Little Mexico", a road outside of town that had 5-6 Taco/Mexican food trucks...you know, the kind of places that would look at us walk in and think to themselves, "what the F*** are these gringos doing out here?". A lot of those places were hit hard by Covid so we have stayed away for the past year and a half.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    2DD85676-044C-42E4-98CB-49AD5BCFF0A5.jpeg
    Up early firing up the Kamado! Dinosaur ribs fixing to get 8-10 hours of smoke. Sure is nice out, rooster calling & birds chirping.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Tacos last night turned out pretty danged good. Just simple ground beef, diced onions and some spices. Layered them with some lettuce, tomato, salsa and shredded cheese. Chips and salsa on the side with them.

I have some boneless chicken breasts thawed out in the fridge, that I might grill for fajitas tonight. Of course wife may have other plans.

Top Bottom