Military Camp

What Will You Never Believe Or Understand About Gun Owners...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I don't understand gun owners that buy guns on how much they'll be worth when they sell them.

In some cases this works. In 1993 I purchased 2 new Norinco MAK-90's. One for regular use and the other as an investment for future sale so it was never used. I got them for $180 each. Fast forward to just about a year ago and I sold the new and unused MAK-90 for a little over $1000. Made a nice little profit on that deal.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    1. Why would someone spend a significant amount of money to customize a gun that he/she hasn't even shot yet?

2. Why are people so obsessed with capacity when the most important shots are usually the first two or three?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#1, clone builders, or previous experience with that gun. I dont have a SCAR, but there's a few things I'd immediately change should i get one

#2, plenty of cases where those 2-3 rounds ain't enough

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I don't understand gun owners that buy guns on how much they'll be worth when they sell them.
    I wish I had been so smart as to speculate on several types of guns I could have gotten relatively cheap years ago and then sold today at relatively exorbitant prices today. Some that come to mind are SKS rifles, Mosin Nagants, Enfields, Mausers (German, WWII vintage), and there are others. I tried, once upon a time, to capitalize on something I figured would go up in value some, although did not expect them to become as treasured as they are today - but that fell through.

I was in a local gun store, decades ago, and saw they had Enfields (as I recall they were Jungle Carbines but that is only a vague recollection) on sale for $79.99, cash only at that price; they had been going for around $100 at the time. I inquired about how long the sale would be ongoing because I needed to get some cash as I wanted to buy three or four of them. I was assured I could come back the next day and get them at the same price. Well, shame on me for trusting the salesman and for not going back the same day because when I went back the next day they were $129.99. When I mentioned to the salesman what he had told me the day before - he essentially told me that was yesterday, the price is now $129.99 and if you don't like it you can GFY (and yes he was quite nasty). Until then, I had bought quite a bit of stuff from them; I never spent another penny with them after that. I lost a possible investment but they lost a loyal customer.

There you have something else I will never understand - arrogantly rude gun store arsehats who treat their customers like trash.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Wrong answer, reread the question. How many cases are left after you filter out the ones that started off with 2-3 misses. Not many as it's usually over by then and 14 more misses won't help. You're in a self defense situation, not a war needing a full loadout. If you do spend more time at the range, the bystanders will appreciate it.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I wish I had been so smart as to speculate on several types of guns I could have gotten relatively cheap years ago and then sold today at relatively exorbitant prices today. Some that come to mind are SKS rifles, Mosin Nagants, Enfields, Mausers (German, WWII vintage), and there are others. I tried, once upon a time, to capitalize on something I figured would go up in value some, although did not expect them to become as treasured as they are today - but that fell through.

I was in a local gun store, decades ago, and saw they had Enfields (as I recall they were Jungle Carbines but that is only a vague recollection) on sale for $79.99, cash only at that price; they had been going for around $100 at the time. I inquired about how long the sale would be ongoing because I needed to get some cash as I wanted to buy three or four of them. I was assured I could come back the next day and get them at the same price. Well, shame on me for trusting the salesman and for not going back the same day because when I went back the next day they were $129.99. When I mentioned to the salesman what he had told me the day before - he essentially told me that was yesterday, the price is now $129.99 and if you don't like it you can GFY (and yes he was quite nasty). Until then, I had bought quite a bit of stuff from them; I never spent another penny with them after that. I lost a possible investment but they lost a loyal customer.

There you have something else I will never understand - arrogantly rude gun store arsehats who treat their customers like trash.
    Better yet, I wish I would have bought stock in Microsoft when they went public in 1986.
    I just don't buy guns with the intention of selling them. I'm an owner, not a collector.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Another thing I will never understand, anyone thinking if you are in a self defense situation you need a minimal amount of rounds because that is going to be enough to get through it if you are a good shot at the range.

It supposedly is a known fact that many if not most such situations involve multiple assailants. It is also a known fact that some assailants have been shot multiple times and just keep coming until shot many more times. Another known fact is that when the pucker factor gives out, many folks do not shoot as well at a live bad guy who is attacking them as they do at a piece of paper (stapled in place) while at the range.

I have heard it said, many times by many folks, if you carry a pistol for self-defense, you should carry enough ammo for at least two full reloads. Sounds good to me each time I hear it; yet, I know people who carry a handgun but do not carry any spare ammo and that's their decision to live with or not.

Be prepared - that is the best advice for anyone who carries.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Better yet, I wish I would have bought stock in Microsoft when they went public in 1986.
    I just don't buy guns with the intention of selling them. I'm an owner, not a collector.
    Of course, if I could hop into Mr. Peabody's Wayback Machine, and go back several years to invest in something to make money, I would have invested in several Bit Coins when first offered or gold when it went back on the open market (in fact I tried to get my great grandfather to loan me $20K but he just laughed and thought it was silly that gold would go much above what it was selling for then). I am not an market investor type though; so, when it comes to most things like stocks, bonds, imaginary currency and such I do not know squat. I do know a bit about firearms and have made some excellent short term investments and turn-arounds over the years when it comes to buying them. It keeps the hobby going.

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Wrong answer, reread the question. How many cases are left after you filter out the ones that started off with 2-3 misses. Not many as it's usually over by then and 14 more misses won't help. You're in a self defense situation, not a war needing a full loadout. If you do spend more time at the range, the bystanders will appreciate it.

You are making the assumption that if your first 2-3 shots miss, so will all the other ones.

You are also making the assumption that your first 2-3 shots will work perfectly

Another assumption you make is that there is only 1 or 2 guys attacking you

Do you carry a 2 shot derringer, or a semi auto or revolver with 2 ot 3 rounds loaded? I'm sorry, but your argument just doesn't fly.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    You're making more assumptions than me. If 3 won't do it then you are in spray and pray mode. Ask the guy in White Settlement how many shots it takes. Okay 2 guys in attack mode, first 2 shots takes out guy 1,. What are odds the other is going to stick around for his dose. Game over. Same for 3 or more. Pop the closest with the first shot and odds are the rest are gone. You're dealing with a criminal element, not a combat platoon.

It's like the old gunfighters (and new ones) say. It's not who is the fastest on the draw but who is most accurate with the first shot.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Depends on where I'm going. Some places like say the feed store I'm comfortable with 7+1 or even just 6. Other places like a biker rally I catered I had 12+1 and four spare mags.

Regardless I'm no tactical expert, being old, out of shape and half blind with a heart condition I'm thinking I never will run and gun like I once could (or thought I could).

I'll waste a few electrons (not that'll do any good) and share something with you young bucks that think you have all the answers - if you become older and hopefully wiser you come to understand the more you know the more you realize you don't know. Nice as it is to be young (or just arrogant) and think you know it all, you don't.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    There are scores of sources out there based upon studies and actual armed encounters to make me believe I should follow the training I received in as much as it is best to be well prepared; thus, I always carry at least two full reloads for each handgun I am carrying, sometimes more. If you really want to believe that all it takes is one or two or maybe three shots to end an armed encounter with multiple assailants (heck, even with only one) - otherwise you are not good enough shooting at paper targets at the range - be my guest, it's your life. Truth is you can be a crack shot at the range and never hit your assailant once in a gun battle.

Try to remember that in a gunfight there are usually some things happening that do not come into play at the range. For instance there are: the fear factor, the pucker factor, the rapidly beating heart, the sweaty palms, the sweat pouring into your eyes, tunnel vision, perceived slowing down of what is going on around you, you screaming at yourself inside your head about what to do next, your training kicking in or not depending on whether or not you trained and how much you did, your use of cover and or concealment, movement of your target, your movement (I hope you are not just standing there like at the range), the fact maybe you may have been shot because while not as accurate as your first shot which hit and killed one of the bad guys - one of their shots was accurate enough to take your right arm out of commission, and other things along those lines.That's just what is going on with you and your assailant; if you are protecting someone else, as in you are with your wife or kids - they are factored in also as would be their screams, their movement, are they behind cover, have they been injured and so on.

If anyone cares to read some articles about the side subject being discussed (as in first shot, how many shots, what gunfighters say) read these:

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/how-many-rounds-you-need-carry-gun/

https://www.policeone.com/police-he...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

Last edited:
    Top Bottom