Join TexasGunTalk

What we MUST DO !

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by leVieux, Nov 24, 2018.

1. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    No can do. Unless their parents come and be responsible for them. I don't even take the grand kids unless their parent(s) come. I can only manage one of them at a time at the range. Got to have that one on one.

2. easy rider

easy rider Slacker Extraordinaire TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The approach on how to educate people about guns, not just children, but adults is important too. If you start a conversation with "You're an idiot" you've probably already shut down their ability to listen rationally. You have to ask why they believe the way they do to understand where the misinformation came from, and then you can possibly reason with them with facts. Putting people on the defensive often shuts down the conversation to understanding your point of view.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  3. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    I wonder how the pop tart pistol kid feels about guns now?
    Gonna take a lot of work to undo the damage.

4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Truer words have never been spoken.

Ask why. Listen. Ask why, again. Listen. Allow the person doing nearly all the talking (hint - not us) to run themselves into a brick wall where their own logic fails. They'll discover something closer to the truth and, because they discovered it, they'll believe it.

Teaching about gun rights, outside an academic setting, isn't a matter of teaching. It's a matter of gently guiding people to discovering the truth for themselves.

What people teach themselves, they embrace. We really need to keep that in mind at all times.

dogbone and easy rider like this.