What type of target for LTC qualification silhouette or bullseye?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country
    Does anyone have a link to the exact target?

I was hoping to do some practice before taking the class.

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Don't overthink it. you'll do fine. I was worried at first too, but if you are even a novice shot, you'll get enough points by the second round of shooting. Just aim for the center. You can search online for how they administer the test, it's much simpler than it sounds.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    B-27-TXCHL-GR-L.jpg

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    And to answer your next question:

CHL SHOOTING TEST
    3 yards, 20 rounds
    • 1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
    • 2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
    • 5 shots, 10 seconds, 1 time
    7 yards, 20 rounds
    • 2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
    • 3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    • 1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
    • 5 shots, 15 seconds, 1 time
    15 yards, 10 rounds
    • 2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    • 3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
    Scoring
    8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points
    7 ring = 4 points
    on target, outside rings = 3 points
    All strings start from 'low ready'. All shooting may be done with one or two hands. Until 2006, the test was shot using the TXPT target shown in the photos. The 5 point area on the target is approximately 12" across. Starting in 2006 the traditional B27 target will be used for CHL qualification. Both the older TXPT and B-27 targets are of similar size and the scoring zones are roughly the same, with the main difference that the B-27 zones are mid-torso whereas the TXPT 5 point ring was more correctly placed upper-torso where vital organs on a human are actually located. (In our opinion the decision to go backward to the older, less anatomically correct B-27 target is a bad idea). There is no requirement to qualify with the gun you intend to carry. You get three attempts to pass. A 70% score (175 points) is a passing score, but in our opinion anyone that cannot pass with a 90% score on the first try should seriously consider additional training to improve shooting ability.

Scoring
    8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points 7 ring = 4 points

1911 Fan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Hill Country

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for!

And to answer your next question:

CHL SHOOTING TEST
    3 yards, 20 rounds
    • 1 shot, 2 seconds, 5 times
    • 2 shots, 3 seconds, 5 times
    7 yards, 20 rounds
    • 2 shots, 4 seconds, 1 time
    • 3 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    • 1 shot, 3 seconds, 5 times
    15 yards, 10 rounds
    • 2 shots, 6 seconds, 1 time
    • 3 shots, 9 seconds, 1 time
    Scoring
    8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points
    7 ring = 4 points
    All strings start from 'low ready'. All shooting may be done with one or two hands. Until 2006, the test was shot using the TXPT target shown in the photos. The 5 point area on the target is approximately 12" across. Starting in 2006 the traditional B27 target will be used for CHL qualification. Both the older TXPT and B-27 targets are of similar size and the scoring zones are roughly the same, with the main difference that the B-27 zones are mid-torso whereas the TXPT 5 point ring was more correctly placed upper-torso where vital organs on a human are actually located. (In our opinion the decision to go backward to the older, less anatomically correct B-27 target is a bad idea). There is no requirement to qualify with the gun you intend to carry. You get three attempts to pass. A 70% score (175 points) is a passing score, but in our opinion anyone that cannot pass with a 90% score on the first try should seriously consider additional training to improve shooting ability.

Scoring
    8,9 and 10 rings = 5 points 7 ring = 4 points

You should run a Psychic business my brain was going to go there next I really appreciate all the detailed info. Thanks a million!
    "" but in our opinion anyone that cannot pass with a 90% score on the first try should seriously consider additional training to improve shooting ability.

the best advice.

I am a pretty decent shot but I always like to be somewhat prepared in advance and know what I am walking into instead of just jumping right in.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Thanks for making me look up what a Tround is and the history of the Dardick revolver (Learned something new).

Not sure what This has to do with this thread topic but thanks for the history lesson nonetheless!
    Post #10 That's the extreme version of building a new AR because you found an extra roll pin.

Kinda like looking to buy an old Chevy Camaro because you found a set of wheels/tires in your uncles garage.

Last edited:

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I tried to steal this Slovak MiG-29 Fulcrum, ala Firefox style, a few years back; but couldn't find the keys! ;) ;) ;)

View attachment 225940
    The problem is ... they don't fuel them up until they know the mission. This to prevent an errant pilot from bugging out. When Victor Belenko stole the Mig-25 and flew to Japan, he had planned the whole thing out, but he had to wait until he was given a mission that would give him enough fuel. Even then, he was in a four ship section, declared an emergency, and bugged out before his section leader knew what he was doing. The other problem is that Russian military aircraft radios don't work on any international air traffic control frequencies. So he just found an airport on Hokkaido and landed.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The problem is ... they don't fuel them up until they know the mission. This to prevent an errant pilot from bugging out. When Victor Belenko stole the Mig-25 and flew to Japan, he had planned the whole thing out, but he had to wait until he was given a mission that would give him enough fuel. Even then, he was in a four ship section, declared an emergency, and bugged out before his section leader knew what he was doing. The other problem is that Russian military aircraft radios don't work on any international air traffic control frequencies. So he just found an airport on Hokkaido and landed.

I would have had no problem getting that bird to Vienna, Austria; which is only 210 km away. The MiG-29 has a ferry range of 1,500 km without external fuel tanks...

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Don't overthink it. you'll do fine. I was worried at first too, but if you are even a novice shot, you'll get enough points by the second round of shooting. Just aim for the center. You can search online for how they administer the test, it's much simpler than it sounds.

this.

The test is so easy to pass that you shouldn't spend a minute worrying about it. Do your normal shooting at the range, don't change a thing for the LTC test.
    Here's a 12 year-old girl effectively passing the test:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for!

You should run a Psychic business my brain was going to go there next I really appreciate all the detailed info. Thanks a million!

I am a pretty decent shot but I always like to be somewhat prepared in advance and know what I am walking into instead of just jumping right in.

You will have no problem at all passing the range test.

Top Bottom