Texas SOT

What to do with my suppressors when I am gone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    So I am trying to plan ahead for the eventual future. I own tax stamp items (2 suppressors) and have instructed my wife to just turn them in when I am gone. She has no interest and neither does anyone else I know. Selling these things is problematic at best and little to no resale value anyway and I don't want her to be dealing with that. Neither do I want them in the wrong hands. In a case like this who are the proper authorities to turn things like this over to? Directly somehow to the ATF? Don't want them to come looking for it after turning in to the police for example.
    Lynx Defense

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I have a trust, just no one in particular personally who would want them. If I found a legitimate charity that was interested I may just add them as a beneficiary to the trust. Anyone know of any?

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Is it really all that hard to unload them?

I just bought my second one and thought it was easy.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't you just have to meet the meet the buyer at an FFL? The dealer would process paperwork and hold the suppressor until the new buyers stamp comes in.

Don't know your situation but your wife might want benefit from the money.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Up to you....but sans any familial interest, why hot find a local hunting group that does charity type hunts and set up a trust with them as the beneficiary?
    Not a bad idea.

The Harper WMA has a Jacob Krebs veterans memorial youth hunt. They just had their 8th annual hunt, children of veteran/ leo harvested 40+ deer. It was an amazing experience for my son and I.

I also know a great hunt club in Centerville that just hosted their first annual veteran/ leo youth hunt thru Texas Youth Hunting Program ( TYHP). All of these hunts make loaner rifles available to the youth if they need them.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    So I am trying to plan ahead for the eventual future. I own tax stamp items (2 suppressors) and have instructed my wife to just turn them in when I am gone. She has no interest and neither does anyone else I know. Selling these things is problematic at best and little to no resale value anyway and I don't want her to be dealing with that. Neither do I want them in the wrong hands. In a case like this who are the proper authorities to turn things like this over to? Directly somehow to the ATF? Don't want them to come looking for it after turning in to the police for example.
    I am sure you could find someone here that would buy them from you or your estate through the appropriate FFL when the time comes.

I'll say it now. I would be interested in them.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

mp_tx

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Austin
    Do you live in a cave? You have no friends that you shoot with or go to gun shows with? No friends or friends kids who are getting into the sport? Are you a TSRA member? How about picking one of those kids you read about in the monthly magazines winning youth shooting sport competitions?

You want to go shooting sometime, new best friend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The friend of mine who gifted me his NFA had tried to sell his .308 rifle and can. The guy buying it bought the rifle, but couldn’t get the can. He knew that his daughter was not interested and seen selling them could be a problem.

I had my trust set up for a while and had just bought my first machine gun. Even though he gifted them to me, I bought him a couple of cases of Ammunition to gift him back. He was an older man and living on a fixed income.

In the end the ammunition came back to me when I helped sell his reloading equipment. My guess the time will come for me to do the same.

It’s just as important to have older friends who shoot as it is younger friends. This is especially true with NFA! Lots of old guys who have the old & historic machine guns. Who do you think owns the mortars, cannons, auto cannons & anti tank gun?

The last shoot I attended had machine guns from WWI. 100 year old guns are in many cases still running like newer guns

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Do you live in a cave? You have no friends that you shoot with or go to gun shows with? No friends or friends kids who are getting into the sport? Are you a TSRA member? How about picking one of those kids you read about in the monthly magazines winning youth shooting sport competitions?

You want to go shooting sometime, new best friend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not in a cave, but yes sadly, no family or friends that are interested. I have tried several times to get into TSRA and have been unsuccessful due to various reasons. I am willing to pick a legitimate charity if anyone knows of one.

Reselling is hard due to finding someone willing to pony up the cash while the current owner holds both the cash and item until the tax stamp comes. When using a dealer people are willing to do this, not so much with an unknown individual. Also as stated above I don't think the dealer can hold it either as the stamp is not in their name. When they are selling for $700 or so new they can't seem to command less than half that at best on resale, especially when as the buyer you get nothing until the stamp comes.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Or, you could fill out the form 5 and have a raffle at your local range and the winner is put on the form 5 and left in your will

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Do you think they would be willing to wait another 20 years or so to get their winnings? I doubt I could do this on my deathbed.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I’ve only sold one NFA item in the past, and it went to a lifelong friend, so it was pretty easy. It was an SBR.
    Cans don’t have a lot of resale value, as they don’t really last forever like a gun.
    When you get to the point that you think you’re done with them, and you’re still alive, find some one to give them to that is willing to pay for a new stamp. You’ll make someone’s day.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    There are way to many people out there that really want to get into the NFA world, but they put it off for various reasons.
    If I didn’t have heirs, I would rather give my toys to people that would enjoy and appreciate them, than see them destroyed. You’ll live forever in their minds, and our hobby continues.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Cans as they don’t really last forever like a gun.
    Depends on the can. ;) buddy of mine has a .30 cal SureFire can with untold thousands of rounds through it and it is just as solid as the day he got it out of jail.
    One of the reasons I went with the DeadAir Sandman was the machine gun torture tests they put them through.
    Of course, they are $1k + suppressors but you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom