What is your preferred 7.62*39 AK/AR steel case ammo

SQLGeek

Wheel Gun Nut
TGT Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
Richmond
Tula runs like a top through my SKS. I go with that if I can but I'm not overly picky.

TexMex247

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
May 11, 2009
Leander(NW Austin)
Like a few others here, I've had good luck with wolf mil classic hp ammo. Tula isn't far behind. 122, 124 gr both do well. I also like the wolf 125gr SP, a few cpr more but worth it IMO.
I've bought and run plenty of golden tiger as well over the years. Never has been more accurate than anything else and has had more ftfs due to hard primers than it's counterparts. I did intentionally buy it for long term storage though and that's where lacquer coated shines.
About a decade ago the ammo store had some weird wolf headstamped Ukrainian contract ammo that ran a bit hotter than most. It clocked around 2350 fps out of a 15.5" barrel. I wished I had bought cases of it.
Overall, almost all steel cased ammo is up to the task and only slightly better from brand to brand. I might even choose more based on bullet preference than manufacturer, given the option.

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
I have read a number of reports that the lacquer will end up coating the chamber.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
Aug 27, 2009
San Antonio!
Appreciate the input. I’m not generally overly picky for bulk range ammo, but didn’t want to throw good $ after bad product if I could avoid it.
Unless you're shooting something that is sensitive to ammo (i.e. an AR), "buy it cheap and stack it deep!"
I have read a number of reports that the lacquer will end up coating the chamber.
See above comment about rifles sensitive to ammo. I've never had any lacquer issues with any of my AK or SKS rifles...

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
I think its tulammo? It has the 8m3 bullet. Outside of premium hunting loads like federal fusion, you'd be hard pressed to find a quality alternative

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
Forum Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
San Antonio
Nyet. Cheap ammo is fine.

Top Bottom