Target Sports

What is your favorite rifle platform and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Bolt action rifles.

Lever action rifles.

I only own 2 bolt action rifles now in 22wmr and 22lr.

I own NO lever action rifles now.

~~~

I used to own/shoot many quality brands in lever action rifles in RF and CF calibers along with my former RF and CF caliber handguns.

I did own one falling block action rifle. Sweet rifle! Stevens Favorite made by Savage - single shot 22lr rifle.

I did own one semi automatic rifle too. A Made in CT Marlin Papoose break down 22lr rifle with the blue case. Late 90's to 2001 made. Sweet rifle! That was the ONLY semi automatic rifle that I personally bought and owned too.

I was far more INTO lever action rifles until I discovered and shot some other bolt action rifles as my arthritis got worse, my old accident issues got worse and as I aged.

If my arthritis gets worse... my 2 bolt action rifles will be gifted to my husband too.

Cate

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I was brought up shooting a Marlin 39a that my dad bought for my mom from Jack First when he was a "brick & mortar" store.
    Have shot and owned a few different styles, from rolling blocks to auto-loaders, but the lever gun is the one I can shoot instinctively.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I was brought up shooting a Marlin 39a that my dad bought for my mom from Jack First when he was a "brick & mortar" store.
    Have shot and owned a few different styles, from rolling blocks to auto-loaders, but the lever gun is the one I can shoot instinctively.
    I've been looking for a 39A for awhile to ad to the Marlin collection.
    20210919_172802.jpg

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Lol. I do want that Mutant, but I don't think any of these will be going soon.
    It was worth trading the mcx hybrid for. Combat accuracy for a red dot is outstanding. Recoil impulse is nice with a can. Just ask Eze or Fireinthewire. It will ring steel at 400 plus.

Last edited:

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Everytime I try to pick a favorite, I find a new one.

I shot bolt guns almost exclusively for a while and confidently proclaimed them to be my favorite. Then I started fussing with lever gun. My new favorite. Then I built some ARs. "MY FAVORITE!!" Then I bought a lathe and built some bolt guns because they're obviously my favorite. I wound up with an AR lower...

You see how this goes.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    A close second for me is my L1A1 Aussie- rotating diopter sight like found on target rifles- thumb wheel gas block adjustment- Trilux scope or Hensoldt scope-Yes the trigger takes a lot of tweaking to not suck but good for 500 meters with iron sights!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not sure I can pick a favorite. My bolt 22LR Marlin 81 was the only rifle I shot for years.

then my modified 700 BDL kept me from buying another deer rifle for years.

reality is my fav changes over time.

loved shooting the SKS in my 20’s.

love shooting lever guns.

now it’s a toss up between 224 Valkyrie and 6.5 CM ARs. It was fun making the plate swing with my Valkyrie at 200. The accuracy of these two guns are amazing.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Plain but nice bolt actions.
    Single shots such as
    Ruger #1
    T/C
    Sharps
    Reason is they are simple, accurate, trustworthey, non Bulky, non Clanky.
    Comfortae to shoot and easy on the eyes.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    The situation will determine the platform. I have many, depending on what I'm wanting from it.

This^^^ Hell I make up situations in my head to come up with a reason own something different. I have a "bear defense" gun. Never seen a bear in my life that wasn't in a cage. I plan too though. Mostly it comes down to if I don't have one I want it.

These ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom