Hurley's Gold

What is your favorite rifle platform and why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SKS_Fanboy93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    McKinney
    It doesn't have to be the most practical choice, just what you happen to enjoy shooting/owning/collecting the most.

Mine would be the SKS, of course. Not a modern weapons system by any means, but there's something about them that's really cool to me. The SKS was a fascinating intermediary/stopgap between the "old school" bolt action service rifles and modern assault rifles.

A medium length barrel, a .30 caliber intermediate cartridge, semiautomatic only operation, volley sights, an internal magazine fed by clips, with a slightly extended (10 round) magazine capacity, cleaning rod attached below the barrel and cleaning kit stuffed inside the "butthole" of the stock. I like the fact that it can be easily single loaded if you don't have stripper clips. And who doesn't love fold-out bayonets? Plus, cheap ammo (until recently, that is) in a caliber that can still pack a punch with well-designed projectiles.

With a Yugo, 'Yu get' even more cool little features packed into the rifle - night sights (which may or may not still glow), gas shut off, and a friggin' rifle grenade launcher and grenade sights. I just think that's really cool, even if it doesn't have a practical use for us.

I just really enjoy all my SKSs, both shooting and collecting them, though it wouldn't be my go-to platform for a SHTF scenario.

And a brief PSA: FFS, stop trying to make your SKSs into AKs.
    DK Firearms

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    It doesn't have to be the most practical choice, just what you happen to enjoy shooting/owning/collecting the most.

Mine would be the SKS, of course. Not a modern weapons system by any means, but there's something about them that's really cool to me. The SKS was a fascinating intermediary/stopgap between the "old school" bolt action service rifles and modern assault rifles.

A medium length barrel, a .30 caliber intermediate cartridge, semiautomatic only operation, volley sights, an internal magazine fed by clips, with a slightly extended (10 round) magazine capacity, cleaning rod attached below the barrel and cleaning kit stuffed inside the "butthole" of the stock. I like the fact that it can be easily single loaded if you don't have stripper clips. And who doesn't love fold-out bayonets? Plus, cheap ammo (until recently, that is) in a caliber that can still pack a punch with well-designed projectiles.

With a Yugo, 'Yu get' even more cool little features packed into the rifle - night sights (which may or may not still glow), gas shut off, and a friggin' rifle grenade launcher and grenade sights. I just think that's really cool, even if it doesn't have a practical use for us.

I just really enjoy all my SKSs, both shooting and collecting them, though it wouldn't be my go-to platform for a SHTF scenario.

And a brief PSA: FFS, stop trying to make your SKSs into AKs.
    Mannlicher Schonauer 1950s Carbine, set triggers, rotary magazine-beautiful I have had 4and currently one Steyr Mannlicher Schonauer in 308.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    M1 Garand

Great trigger

Great sights

Reliable

Good caliber

Historic