Join TexasGunTalk

What is your favorite place to eat in the San Antonio area? The ongoing thread...

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by TexYid, Jun 9, 2019.

1. rvrcty210

rvrcty210 Member

Dec 21, 2019
    San Antonio, TX
    I like Ostra, on the Riverwalk.
    They also have free valet parking if you eat there. Just be sure to get your ticket validated when you pay. You can eat the enjoy the Riverwalk and have free valet parking. Just tip the valet $5. Much cheaper than parking and it's so convenient.

2. rexster314

rexster314 Member

Nov 14, 2016
    We were in SA the first week in December. Rosario's has always been on our must eat there list, but no more. Service was haphazard at best, wife's dish was so bad, it got sent back and was taken of our bill. I don't even remember what it was now.
    We did hit up Pico de Gallo across the freeway from El Mercado. Good down to earth Tex-Mex from La Familia Cortez

3. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    On Alamo St or the Riverwalk location?

4. Armybrat

Armybrat Active Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Just had a pancake, eggs, & ham plate for breakfast at Schilo’s.
    Still very good since the first time I ate there with family in 1947.

317AC9B6-F191-4145-9DCE-D67DBAE92CBF.jpeg

majormadmax likes this.
  5. jekbrown

jekbrown New Member

Best burger I've ever had: the Texas Kicker w/Fritos from Chunky's Burgers and More. Seriously, this burger changed my life and was one reason I moved 1700 miles to live here. It's that good.

The Texas Dog at The Shack is really good too.

6. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Don't forget their root beer! Not only is it very tasty, but the history behind it is interesting as well!

We hit Schilo's about once or twice a year. It's one of our favorite places to eat downtown!

7. jekbrown

jekbrown New Member

Oh, someone mentioned Magnolia for breakfast. Honestly, that's probably the biggest restaurant disappointment we've experienced in TX. Everyone loves it, reviews are great, and honestly I'd rather go to Denny's. I don't know what their secret sauce is, but Magnolia somehow found a way to make maple syrup thinner than water. Freedom toast was mediocre, same with the sausage. It's loud and you feel like you're being shuffled through a boot camp chow hall. Food is a very subjective thing, but it's shocking to me how many people actually like MPH. I'd rather have breakfast just about any place else.

majormadmax and SA_Steve like this.
  8. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    Without a doubt, the "Little Rhein Steakhouse' just across the River from the Hilton Palacio del Rio. This jewel of a little place has been a favorite for decades. S.A. theme w/ Old German overtones, great beef & sides, polite professional waitstaff, casual atmosphere, fair prices, and if you dare, some killer desserts. IMHO, there is no long term "second choice", as all others are quite a step-down from the Little Rhein. I'll often land at Stinson Field, and get a room at the Hilton, just to have a steak at the Little Rhein ! leVieux

lightflyer1, TexYid and Pops1955 like this.
  9. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    I make it a point to eat here too when in town for a few days. Great little place either inside or outside on the Riverwalk.

leVieux and Pops1955 like this.
  10. leVieux

leVieux Old Guy "Have Gun; Won't Travel !"

Mar 28, 2013
    Saint Martinville, LA
    I have visited San Antonio fairly frequently since the mid-1950's. My late Dad was based there early in WWII as a USAAC flight instructor, and always had a love for it.

Later, living in places like Corpus, Brownsville, Midland, Galveston, Houston, & Austin, I found myself transiting frequently by private plane or pickup truck. I was at Fort Sam a few times TDY as a US Army Medical Officer, had hunting leases at Benavides, Junction, & Sutton County. Some Family live up North of Mason, and very close friends live at Marble Falls.

I have always enjoyed my visits, from overnight to 3 + weeks there. San Antonio is the most "unappreciated" city in all North America. Few realize its size or the amount of American & Texas History which is enshrined there. I try to take all of our young, no matter where they live, to the Alamo every decade or so, so that they will KNOW.

Several years ago, with friends from Houston, hunting doves at Signal Mountain, TN, I had a chance meeting with Davy Crockett V, who was then Mayor of Chattanooga. He bears a striking resemblance to the paintings of Crockett hanging in Texas, is the same 6'3"+, and gave unusual details of his ancestor's fatal trip to Texas.

Many of us revere the Original almost as much for his departing remarks to the U S Congress, as for his sacrifice at the Alamo.

Many of my aging Friends, from all over the World ask me "Where to retire?" My answer is usually, "If you have no other binding ties, please go visit S.A. !"

leVieux

SA_Steve, Pops1955 and twain55 like this.