Guns International

What is your favorite knife sharpening device?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    What's a wet stone - does it require water on it?

I use a Arkansas whetstone (will use it again if ever I can find it since I moved), a Lansky kit and one of those little yellow plastic Smith brand sharpeners with the inserts shaped like a V (comes in quite handy when camping or fishing or hunting or even in the kitchen in a pinch).
    There are wet stoned that use water & those that use oil. The oil is a special food grade mineral oil.

Nagorg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Learn to use a wet stone, it is not hard.

I've used Arkansas Whetstones for years. I agree that its not hard but it does take some practice as well as a fair amount of time for a dull knife. Touching up a sharp knife is another story...

I've got a lot of kitchen knives that have been neglected. Cant wait to try out the Work Sharp on these.

I was actually looking for some bigger whetstones when I came across this post.

Last edited:

Nagorg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    I finally got to use my Work Sharp. I'll say that it takes a little getting used to but seems to work really well. I was able to sharpen my very dull kitchen knives in a fraction of the time it would have taken on my whetstone.
    I'm not sure I'll use it exclusively; I *feel* like I can touch up an edge pretty quickly on my stone. Time will tell if this remains true or not.

I do have to give this Work Sharp KO edition a nod. Its a tool that delivers on what its supposed to do. Produces a great edge in minimal time. I'm sure that with more practice I'll like it even more.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The biggest downside is the speed in which it removes material. If you're not conscious of what you're doing, you can ruin a knife just as well as sharpen it. It's been an absolute game changer for me for my daily-abused pocket knife though. I chip the edge regularly because I genuinely abuse it without a second thought. Being a Benchmade I don't even feel bad about it ;)

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    And your thoughts now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess I was doing it wrong with the stones. I thought I was good at and was satisfied with the results, but I get a sharper, longer lasting edge with the Work Sharp. Especially with the large kitchen knives, I see a big difference.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I know what you mean about stones. I use them the way my dad taught me. Dustin on the other hand has developed his own style and can put a new razor edge on a ruined blade in about 30 min. Watched him do it and it was nothing like my style of using stones.

Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom