• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Clean? A Glock? Kidding. Blow lint off unless I shoot. Leave mags loaded all the time. If I shoot I run a snake down the barrel and light Ballistol.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Everything depends on each individual, the environment they are in, how much they shoot, etc... But, in good practice, IMO, one should clean their EDC every week. Why? If you inspect and clean every week, you can catch a malfunction before it gets catastrophic. Of course, this is not always the case, shit will happen when you least expect it.

I clean my EDC every week. I work in a wood shop and no matter if it's covered or not, saw dust will get all over it and in it. I will take the frame and let it sit in a cleaning solution for a few minutes while I wipe down the barrel, slide. Squirt a bit of cleaner down the firing pin chamber and blow it out good, lube what needs it and reassemble the slide. I then get the frame out and blow it off really good, put slide back on and ready to go. The reason I soak the frame, is to work out all the fine saw dust that gets into the trigger area and into the stippling that's on the grip.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Depends on the weather,
    Hot summertime I'll break it down every couple of weeks to check for sweat/rust issues. A few passes and bit of fresh lube and back in the holster.
    During the cooler months maybe every other month.
    A thorough cleaning after range trips.
    I usually fire off a mag or three of the premium HP ammo each range trip. Most practice is done with FMJ.
    I rotate thru different ccw weapons frequently so its not a major deal.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    A clean gun is a happy gun. My Glock 26 must have been unhappy for a couple of weeks because I forgot to clean her after our last range trip. As of yesterday, she is all cleaned up, lubed and looking pretty. Also cleaned my Beretta 950 BS. Thanks for the reminder.

I have to say, it is amazing where dog hairs can wind up. Found one in the firing pin channel of the Glock. I would not have thought one could get in there but there it was just waiting for me to find it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Just finished mowing thought I’d leave this picture here for the ocd bunch.
    4A68A0CC-6A54-41DA-B21D-C63686333550.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Oh wow, never thought of that. Glad I shoot my EDC rounds once or twice a year.
    Thank you.

Here’s my technique w/carry loads. I have spare mags that are used for practice. My primary carry mag (15-round) gets ejected and the first round I fire is the round that been carried around in the chamber over the last week or two.

After practice, insert carry mag and chamber round; top off mag from the box of carry ammo. Every once in a while I’ll run the full carry mag thru and replace them all just because I can.

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    I too clean after every range trip (at least once a month).
    And I too use up the defensive ammo after a year and load up with a fresh batch, which I test first, though.
    why the ammo change
    does it go bad sittin in a mag more than in a box

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Possibly. Depends on how many times a round has been chambered. Also rounds in the magazine of a carry gun are exposed more to humidity, temperature changes, sweat, dust, dirt, and sharp impacts.
    I’ve never had a commercial round not go boom. No matter age or even going through the wash ( admittedly, those became range rounds). I clean and rotate my EDC top round about every three months.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

Keep the primers in mind for multiple rechambering also.
    I have never heard of this before nor witnessed this problem to my knowledge and find that to be amazing especially as the earliest articles/blog posts that I could find quoting the same source, the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department, were from as far back as February 2012. Of course, the blog post quoted something that apparently was first referenced in 2012 and I retired in 2011 but then I have recertified as a LE Instructor ever since then and never heard of it in my training either with the NRA. Also funny that no working links to the actual report seem to exist - at least not working links that I could find and I tried several. I have to wonder if that is for real. I would think that if it was for real, then Winchester would have put out a notice about it (and maybe they did but I missed it). I'd also think that Winchester would not be the only ammo affected by this issue as, I am guessing, primers are probably not all that different in how they are manufactured.

I am fully aware of a problem that was not mentioned, that continually loading and unloading the same couple of rounds from a firearm (as done when unloading at home by some folks) can cause the bullet to become uinseated in the proper position and thus be pushed too far into the shell case. This can and has caused feeding problems and as I understand pressure problems. Having had collateral duties for 16 years while on the job, I would think I would have heard about such a primer problem especially since some agents with whom I worked unloaded their pistols every night when they got home, then loaded them again the next day with the next round in the mag and took the one they had been in the chamber and placed it in the mag as the next round. So, the problem of the bullet being pushed too far into the casing was a fairly common one until we got them to alternate the rounds being loaded each day and to change all the ammo in their mags every so often. They had to be reminded every so often too because someone would invariably have that problem again because they seemingly had an inability to remember what we had told them in training..

When that problem was ongoing, of the bullets being pushed into the shell casing, you have to figure they were unloading then reloading those two rounds maybe 90 times per quarter if not more - yet not once did we have the failure that the GCPD noted with the primers. And some continued doing it for a few quarters because they used range mags when qualifying and range ammo instead of their carry ammo (for quals we always tried to get them to use up their carry ammo but some would just not listen).

Thus, as I said, I find it amazing I have never heard of this before nor witnessed the problem as far as I am aware. Of course, I am not saying it is not true, just wondering. Anyone else ever here of that and actually witness the problem before?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    I have never heard of this before nor witnessed this problem to my knowledge and find that to be amazing especially as the earliest articles/blog posts that I could find quoting the same source, the Gwinnett County Sheriff’s Department, were from as far back as February 2012. Of course, the blog post quoted something that apparently was first referenced in 2012 and I retired in 2011 but then I have recertified as a LE Instructor ever since then and never heard of it in my training either with the NRA. Also funny that no working links to the actual report seem to exist - at least not working links that I could find and I tried several. I have to wonder if that is for real. I would think that if it was for real, then Winchester would have put out a notice about it (and maybe they did but I missed it). I'd also think that Winchester would not be the only ammo affected by this issue as, I am guessing, primers are probably not all that different in how they are manufactured.

I am fully aware of a problem that was not mentioned, that continually loading and unloading the same couple of rounds from a firearm (as done when unloading at home by some folks) can cause the bullet to become uinseated in the proper position and thus be pushed too far into the shell case. This can and has caused feeding problems and as I understand pressure problems. Having had collateral duties for 16 years while on the job, I would think I would have heard about such a primer problem especially since some agents with whom I worked unloaded their pistols every night when they got home, then loaded them again the next day with the next round in the mag and took the one they had been in the chamber and placed it in the mag as the next round. So, the problem of the bullet being pushed too far into the casing was a fairly common one until we got them to alternate the rounds being loaded each day and to change all the ammo in their mags every so often. They had to be reminded every so often too because someone would invariably have that problem again because they seemingly had an inability to remember what we had told them in training..

When that problem was ongoing, of the bullets being pushed into the shell casing, you have to figure they were unloading then reloading those two rounds maybe 90 times per quarter if not more - yet not once did we have the failure that the GCPD noted with the primers. And some continued doing it for a few quarters because they used range mags when qualifying and range ammo instead of their carry ammo (for quals we always tried to get them to use up their carry ammo but some would just not listen).

Thus, as I said, I find it amazing I have never heard of this before nor witnessed the problem as far as I am aware. Of course, I am not saying it is not true, just wondering. Anyone else ever here of that and actually witness the problem before?
    Hey Glenn,

Like you, am skeptical of that one...

It can be a problem in some Service Rifles that the firing pin lightly "taps" the primer....(more likely an "accidental discharge" type event)...

In the late '70's, a friend's Pop had passed on. Leaving a case+ of WWII issue ammo much of it in magazines...

I did not unload a single round ...........I fired every one of those 30+yr old rounds without an issue.

Did learn something about 45acp "Ball Ammo"....

I saved several boxes (I'm an IDIOT, should have saved ALL of it...LOL)...and chronographs became affordable in the 90's...

All of it clocked (several manufacturers) about 950fps. I was puzzled as the "Book" says 230gr/855fps...

Well.......it would seem that the chronograph used circa WWII? It is at 75 feet! (not 10') LOL

Oh well, I sent a couple grand down range........BEFORE it was a "collector" item...LOL

Also? I pulled some...about 9 or 9.5gr of powder...if I recall? Some had 8 to 8.5gr (not too many)

Those all had the "asphaltum seal"....bullets coated in TAR prior to seating. Bet that was a MESS at the factory! LOL

Later, Mark

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx

I've seen duds in carry ammo at the range but they were never investigated to this degree. Bullet set back and non drop safe firing pins repeatedly dinging the primer I've seen. I'm sure you know about the non drop safe shotgun issue in cruisers that coined the "cruiser ready" condition.

With your credentials I would imagine you could get to the bottom of this rather quickly with an email or phone call.

I would like to hear the results either way of your inquiry.

I've personally experienced a gun failure resulting in kaboom, squibs and duds.

Another extremely rare one I have seen referenced in the past was a gun in the glove box in Alaska. Rattling around for years the loose powder in the cartridge had ground itself down and changed the pressure enough to kaboom the gun when it was finally fired.

I once had some 303 british from ww2, i fired a few loose rounds and they were all hang fires and sprayed an odd mixture of smoke and powder.

I have some 45acp from the 50s if anyone wants to experiment.

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    I’ve never had a commercial round not go boom. No matter age or even going through the wash ( admittedly, those became range rounds). I clean and rotate my EDC top round about every three months.
    again i would love to now the science or data behind the reason for that

what would you think could change in 3 months by sittin in the top round that the rest of the rounds have not changed

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    again i would love to now the science or data behind the reason for that

what would you think could change in 3 months by sittin in the top round that the rest of the rounds have not changed
    The problem pointed out was not about a round sitting in a chamber for 3 months but being cycled through the gun daily.

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    The problem pointed out was not about a round sitting in a chamber for 3 months but being cycled through the gun daily.
    no not realy

it was in answer to a post saying about how many times a round has been chambered
    and some other things to

but that stuff had nothing to do with the comment about changing a round sittin in the top neding to be changed

so im still asking the question

why

Top Bottom