• Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    again i would love to now the science or data behind the reason for that

what would you think could change in 3 months by sittin in the top round that the rest of the rounds have not changed
    You seem to be missing it or maybe I am missing what you are asking. If a round just sits in a pistol without being unloaded and loaded again the next day and without that sequence being carried out every day over the course of months, it probably cannot cause the supposed primer problem and is unlikely to cause the unseating problem (but that probel is possible after only a few times of reloading the same round into the chamber). But if you do unload and reload using the same two cartridges every day over the course of moths you are asking for problems. Thus, the reason some people wisely change the top two rounds is usually because they unload their pistol at the end of their day then reload the pistol the next day and are in the know this can cause the problems described (at least the unseating one as far as I am aware and maybe the primer one too). If you do that repeatedly over time, and only use the top two rounds in the magazine during the unloading and loading, it can cause the problem of unseating the bullet and pushing it to far into casing that it causes problems I mentioned above. Now, or since 2012 or there about, it seems another problem was mentioned caused by that same repeated sequence, the primer compound is loosened resulting in failures to fire.

If you just let the pistol lay around without unloading /reloading it daily (with the same rounds) there is pretty much no reason to change the round just for the sake of changing it. The thing is - are you really going to leave a pistol or other firearm loaded for 3 months and never clean of otherwise maintain it in that time? That too can cause other problems. Just reloading it a couple or few times with the same two top rounds - the one in the chamber and the top round of the magazine - can be enough to unseat the bullet and push it enough into the case as to cause a potentially dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I've seen duds in carry ammo at the range but they were never investigated to this degree. Bullet set back and non drop safe firing pins repeatedly dinging the primer I've seen. I'm sure you know about the non drop safe shotgun issue in cruisers that coined the "cruiser ready" condition.

With your credentials I would imagine you could get to the bottom of this rather quickly with an email or phone call.

I would like to hear the results either way of your inquiry.

I've personally experienced a gun failure resulting in kaboom, squibs and duds.

Another extremely rare one I have seen referenced in the past was a gun in the glove box in Alaska. Rattling around for years the loose powder in the cartridge had ground itself down and changed the pressure enough to kaboom the gun when it was finally fired.

I once had some 303 british from ww2, i fired a few loose rounds and they were all hang fires and sprayed an odd mixture of smoke and powder.

I have some 45acp from the 50s if anyone wants to experiment.
    With my credentials, that is a good one! You wanting to know the results of my inquiry is also a good one - do you expect me to make an inquiry you could make as easily as me with as much inluence based upon your own credentials (even if you have none)? The reason I say that your credentials would be as good as mine, even if nonexistent, is that I retired in 2011, ten years ago this November. I did not have collateral duties as a firearms instructor since about March 2003 (not sure of that date but it is close). While I did manitain my LE Firearms certification through the NRA, I did that on my own in the event I'd ever look for a job like that after retiring and as a point of pride. Point of pride because my collateral duties were terminated by a supervisor out of spite because he disliked me and knew I loved being at the range. Anyway, that makes it over18 years total since I had any official duties as a firearms instructor, my credentials do not mean squat today and even if they did I have no connections now. Most everyone I knew who had any similar duties has long since retired. My credentials are not going to do squat when it comes to having any connections or to having any pull in checking on anything. I imagine though, anyone could contact Winchester about the issue with the primers and they would be happy to confirm or deny it.

My credentials now would make nice wall hangings but are wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in boxes in my spare bedroom although I did look through some of them recently when look for some framed artwork to give to my son for his house. If you are ever up around the pimple on the backside of Texas known as Texarkana, let me know if you want to see them. For me, all they do now is to bring back nice memories as those duties were one of the things I enjoyed most in my career. As for the certificates, I would like to hang them on the walls of my house should I buy a house before I croak. If I pass first, I hope my son takes them and hangs them in his place. Some of them along with some of my 32 awards (I think that number is correct but there may have been 33) might impress someone other than just giving me some nostalgic stuff to look at now and again when I think of those days; I kind of doubt though that they'd make much of an impression.

As for shotguns in our vehicles, they were - for many years - kept loaded and ready to go. Then, when I&NS and the U.S. Customs Service (not meaning the newly then formed CBP ut the original Customs Service) were abolished, the rules soon changed and we had to carry shotguns without a chambered round and with the trigger already pulled which was absolutely ridiculous because many times the shotguns were just carried in the trunk and the slides could be at least partially pumped or even fully activated resulting in a round being chambered. Such was the abomination of ICE after 9/11. Also, we didn't refer to anything as "cruiser ready" probably because we did not navigate:laughing:, drive or refer to our vehicles as cruisers; I think that is more a state poilice, small town department, county PD or Sheriff's office term to describe their marked vehicles.

As for you never having a round fail to fire, that in and of itself is pretty lucky. I say that based upon my experiences but then I instructed hundreds of other shooters during qualifications and other training over the course of 16 years and I personally shot tens of thousands of rounds of centerfire ammo - let alone 22 rimfire and the failure rate with some brands of them makes it wise not to carry ta 22 rimfire as a primary self-defense weapon - in that time frame. I witnessed many, many, many rounds not going boom in that period. There were also some squib rounds but they were much rarer than failures to fire. The ones that did not go kaboom when the trigger was pulled had various reasons for not going bang and I am writing about factory fresh, commercial or LE ammo from major producers like CCI, Federal, Remington & Winchester and it was not cheap ammo. They bought good stuff for our duty rounds and we almost always qualified with the same exact ammo as our duty rounds; although, we did use ammunition like Winchester NATO FMJ ammo for practice. The root cause for failures to fire were sometimes due to the ammo, other times due to the firearm and other times due to the shooter or could be a combination of reasons. I cannot say with any certainty which cause was the most frequent but can certainly attest to the fact that none of those causes were rare.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I perform a weekly detail strip and relube of my Wilson Combat 1911. I carry it IWB and a lot of fine fibers from the clothing I am wearing fall down onto the back of the gun and down into the action as well. I just don't ever want it to not function properly, if God forbid, I need to use it. Yes I am an old Boy Scout and yes I do believe in being prepared.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I perform a weekly detail strip and relube of my Wilson Combat 1911. I carry it IWB and a lot of fine fibers from the clothing I am wearing fall down onto the back of the gun and down into the action as well. I just don't ever want it to not function properly, if God forbid, I need to use it. Yes I am an old Boy Scout and yes I do believe in being prepared.
    Well it is a 1911. Some fine fibers might jam it. ;)

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    again i would love to now the science or data behind the reason for that

what would you think could change in 3 months by sittin in the top round that the rest of the rounds have not changed
    I field strip and clean my EDC weapon about every three months. ( more often if shot hard at the range). I just rotate the rounds in the mag. out of habit. I also blow the pistol free of lint with compressed air any time in between cleanings that I see build up.

amberloo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    texas
    I field strip and clean my EDC weapon about every three months. ( more often if shot hard at the range). I just rotate the rounds in the mag. out of habit. I also blow the pistol free of lint with compressed air any time in between cleanings that I see build up.
    ok so theres no real science of reason for changing the top round

was just curious

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    One could say that using the same round puts a lot of extra wear on the rim and the bullet seating depth can change. I have never cared to dive into the matter too much. Like many things: we are looking for a problem that isn’t really a problem.

Top Bottom