APOD Firearms

What is the statutory definition (if one exists) of "physical premises"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Yes, it's only been an additional charge on someone arrested for something else as far as I know. 5 or 6 times that I know of.

The 1990 version was found unconstitutional but minor changes appeared in a 1995 version.

Its doubtful it would withstand supreme court scrutiny and I think a repeal was introduced this year but then the texas school shooting happened.

You can go 1000 feet in some cities without a school being there.

Then add Constitutional carry but who wants to test that case.

As a senior in high school, I was arrested for having a knife in my car that was parked in an alleyway that was outside of a high school. The school cops and administrators made a huge deal out of nothing and acted like heroes for stopping an inevitable mass-casualty event which only happened in their fantasies. The courts thought it would be justice well served to turn me into a felon at the age of 17 for this greivous offense.

I took a plea bargain, but despite what the courts told me, the charge is still on my record. It has made finding employment difficult my entire life.

These types are out there, especially in public schools, and will treat anyone they can the same. Trust me when I say they get a huge thrill out of ruining decent people's lives for no good reason.

• Sad
    Reactions: gll

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    TPC 46.03.

(c) In this section:

(4) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

Problem solved, problem staying solved.

So carrying in a parking lot is legal? What about walkways?

I'm reading a lot of conflicting info, especially considering the law also prohibits carrying on any grounds where a school-sponsored activity takes place. That would seem to cover the entire property of any school in session.

Last edited:

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    As a senior in high school, I was arrested for having a knife in my car that was parked in an alleyway that was outside of a high school. The school cops and administrators made a huge deal out of nothing and acted like heroes for stopping an inevitable mass-casualty event which only happened in their fantasies. The courts thought it would be justice well served to turn me into a felon at the age of 17 for this greivous offense.

I took a plea bargain, but despite what the courts told me, the charge is still on my record. It has made finding employment difficult my entire life.

These types are out there, especially in public schools, and will treat anyone they can the same. Trust me when I say they get a huge thrill out of ruining decent people's lives for no good reason.
    When and where was this?

Eli

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Bexar County - 'nough said! You should petition the Board of Pardons and Parole for a pardon, if you've stayed straight and due to the dubious circumstances around it you'd probably get it.

Eli

I don't need a pardon as I was never convicted. I could apply for an expungement but the process is expensive and difficult.

Texas is quite unjust in its almost total lack of options for offenders to get their lives back to normal.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Do the dogs carry ?
    Yes, they can and do but they are terrible shots as their lack of thumbs hinder how they hold them. Sometimes it results in them shooting their owners - usually by "accident".

guns 0168 o gun carrying dog.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I don't need a pardon as I was never convicted. I could apply for an expungement but the process is expensive and difficult.

Texas is quite unjust in its almost total lack of options for offenders to get their lives back to normal.
    If you took a plea, that is a conviction if I remember correctly...

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I have built and upgraded several DISD and GISD schools and their schools property was defined as....ANY PROPERTY INSIDE OF THE FENCE SURROUNDING THE SCHOOLS BUILDING AND LANDSCAPING...

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

What EXACTLY did you plea to? If it's still causing you problems, I would guess it was perhaps more serious than your story makes it sound.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If you took a plea, that is a conviction if I remember correctly...

Depends on the circumstance. For LTC and a few other purposes, yes. For 99% of things, no.

In Texas, if your plea/conviction isn't a felony, it is nearly impossible to get an expungement.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    So if I read your post correctly, your not allowed to carry, buy, own or even have a gun given to you.
    Unlawful carry of a weapon is a class A misdemeanor if I’m not mistaken, so a ticket. Unless enhanced to a felony it wouldn’t affect your right to purchase or carry a firearm.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Unlawful carry of a weapon is a class A misdemeanor if I’m not mistaken, so a ticket. Unless enhanced to a felony it wouldn’t affect your right to purchase or carry a firearm.
    Enhancable to SJF within 1000' of a school, iirc. Or maybe that is only for drugs...

Again I ask what did you plea to?

If a felony, even a SJF, you have lost your right to carry by the laws of this state.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom