What Is The Shelf Life Of Modern Non-Corrosive Ammunition?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    The title of this piece is a question I often wonder about. Current & recent manufacturers of ammunition often state their ammo will last 10 years. From what I can gather about that, the consensus is that figure is essentially made up for legal reasons but I am none too sure that is the case. Many of the self appointed experts on ammo shelf life, who tell you that seemingly have no clue if that is correct or if at least some modern ammunition (that made within the past 50 years for the purposes of this piece) will actually only last 10 years others say almost indefinitely. My guess is almost all quality ammo will last much longer than 10 years but I wish someone could tell me factually how long it will actually last. Those who write about it often make reference to ammunition that was made 50 to 100 years ago that still fires reliably and imply that today's ammo would be much the same. For one example of such, see: https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2019/10/28/can-ammunition-go-bad/

The thing is that ammo made more than 30 years ago has a good chance of having been made using corrosive primers (keeping it to western countries, East Bloc countries were still producing corrosive military ammo, I think, into the 1980s and may still be doing so for all I know). I have been told (personal communication with several gunsmiths, military collectors and ammo dealers) that it is a known fact the materials used to make those old time primers does not break down much over time and thus ammo from way back then often works just fine today if it was stored properly over the years. I have also been told that modern, non-corrosive, primer materials are quite different and will breakdown over a period of 20 to 25 years. Me, I don't know and I do not know if the folks who told me so actually knew and thus the question in the title: What is the shelf life of modern non-corrosive ammunition.

What I do know is there are poor ways to store ammo and better ways. I try using the somewhat better methods but do not go to extremes. So, I have stored it in climate controlled rooms inside sealed ammo cans for the most part. Climate controlled? Yeah, inside my house at ambient room temperature on the cool side - as in my basement. I also keep it at low humidity or at least try. So, sometimes I put desiccant pack into the ammo can along with the ammunition. By saying I do not go to extremes, I mean I do not do things like vacuum sealing every box of ammo or ammo can a some folks do.

What about results? I can say without a doubt, the ammo I have stored that way, so far, has all reliably fired whenever I have decided to shoot up some of the older stuff; some of that being 25 years old or older. Right now, I think the oldest commercially available defensive pistol ammo I have on hand is probably from the mid-1980s to mid 1990s. That is Winchester 9mm NATO FMJ ammunition. Never a problem, it goes bang every time. I think I have only a box or two of it left and doubt I'll shoot it; probably will keep it for nostalgic reasons. It is from the time when I with the U.S. Custom Service Office of Investigations running narcotics smuggling & money laundering investigations but also had collateral duties as a firearms instructor (no I was not a desk jockey) :banana: and got oodles of free ammo for practice to keep up my skills. I also have some older 22 LR ammo that still goes bang too, some probably from the 1960s or 1970s. Always amazes me that it still goes off if I shoot it up; the thing about it though is I'll not ever depend on it as defensive carry ammo but I might need to with some of my older 9mm someday. I know, I probably should have rotated it out years ago.

I also have some other old defensive pistol ammo in the form of Speer Gold Dot Hollow Point +P. I think I have around a case of that from shortly after 9/11 - replacement ammo paid for by my homeowners insurance due to loss of personal ammo I had stored at our range in 6 WTC on 9/11. That stuff, I think, needs to start getting shot up but right about now for practice. I am going to hate to use it because it is about 1/3 of my 9mm JHP and may be irreplaceable with current politics as they are but I doubt it will last forever so may as well use it up soon. Again, I know, I probably should have rotated it out years ago; yet, I am wondering if it will last another 19.5 years or so and still go bang.

Anyway - back to the question more or less: Does anyone here have any actual technical, manufacturing, scientific knowledge as to the shelf life of how long modern made non-corrosive ammunition will last and still go bang reliably? That it lasts well beyond 10 years, even 20 to 25 years if properly stored, is doubtless at least in my experience. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I think mine will last a long, long time. Longer than me, no doubt.

IMG_2240.JPG

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Nice, come the flood it will not get wet and with all the hurricanes we got this year - one never knows.

Even when sealed like that, I wonder about what I was told about primer material - that is eventually breaks down over time. Seems like it does not at least not yet with my ammo.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've shot a few boxes of 30-06 from the 50's that had been sitting in an old barn not protected from the elements. The brass was tarnished heavily and the lead soft points had become fuzzy. All of it went off and it was still plenty accurate. I believe if stored properly the shelf life could be indefinite. Or at least longer than a human can live.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I can't say much about old ammo as I don't have any that's really old but I bought out a guys reloading equipment many years ago. This included primers that were stored in his garage for 20 years with no extra preventative measures.

I figure they are 30 years old now and still work just fine. They have been stored in my house for many years so any moisture that may have built up in the priming compound has had a chance to dry.

I also have 15 year old reloads that were stored in a shed in ammo cans for 6 years that still work.

I personally worry more about heat breaking down powder than I do primers. That seems to be a bigger concern in my research on storage solutions.

My reloading room is attached to my house but isn't constantly temperature controlled so I store all my powder and primers inside the house.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The biggest problem storing ammo is protecting the brass from corrosion. Even a small amount of ammonia (or amines) can turn brass into a crumbling mess.

As for the gunpowder, it is designed to last for many years and it it's not exposed to high heat or oxygen, it will last. I have some surplus ammo that dates to the Korean War (nearly 70 years old). (And, yes I checked to see if it had corrosive primers.) Chances are pretty good that it wasn't stored under ideal conditions - probably exposed to SE Texas heat - but it was sealed to protect the cases. I've used 30+ year old powder to reload and I know of other reloaders that have used older powders. Those pellets don't contain smokeless powder, they ARE smokeless powder. If it starts to break down, the pellets or flakes will show it.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I still shoot 30-06 ammo that my grandfather bought in the late 50's, and have and use over a case of Peters 12 ga shotgun shells from the 1960's.
    Keep it dry and in an air tight can, ammo will last a very long time.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Years ago I bought some 5.56 tracer ammo from SGAmmo and they said the phosphorus used in the tracer part might not work anymore as the ammo was very old but ever shot goes bang when fired. Properly stored I don't consider ammo to expire.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I've fired 25-30 year old 9mm stored in cardboard boxes in an unheated attic in TX heat and cold, dry and humidity. I've had others shoot up a case of .223 stored the same way...no misfires. I'm 72 and have only had 2 or 3 factory rounds EVER fail to fire. I've shot military, commercial name brand stuff, and my reloads. No more than 5 .22 rimfires not go off...in my shooting life, which is 56 years. The companies won't promise that long a life, but ammo's pretty well made.

Last year, I got hold of a case of paper 12 ga ammo...paper moldy and high brass corroded. If it loaded, it fired...only lost about 8 rounds that were too bad to load.

As to shooting up/cycling my SD high dollar ammo...I put fresh in the guns every 6-12 months, but don't throw it out. Checked today and found .38, 9mm, and .357 hollow points for 90 cents to 1.80 each...I'm not gonna shoot it up .

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Consider this: There are huge areas in Europe that are still exclusion zones because of ordinance that was used in WWI. That's over 100 years ago. Same thing is true in the Pacific where Army Air Corps and Navy artillery and bomb ranges were used through most of the 20th Century. Yes, the chemistry is a little different, but they're still nitrated materials and they last a long time.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    After reading some of the posts, it seems like me not having shot up and not having bought fresh replacements for some of my older ammo was not necessarily a bad thing. One of my major concerns was the heat to which it was exposed when stored in a facility for about 6 months (including the summer) awhile back. At other times it was stored cool & dry but during that time it got pretty hot when in the locker. Seems to still go bang though but thought it might have been effected as to longevity.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    True story...

My Son's SBR Form 1 on reasons he was building the rifle.......

All legal reasons, purposes and Zombies.............

Yes, they approved his Form 1......
    It would be nice to have been a fly on the wall and thus to have seen the person who saw his application actually read it and see the word zombies - acknowledge it - and only then stamp it approved with a smile on his face.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have fired 40 year old ammo with no problems.

40 year old ammo is about the oldest I have ever used as well. Mounted a new scope on my father's rifle, and used some ammo he reloaded back in the 1970's for getting the scope dialed in for him. Rifle, ammo and scope all performed flawlessly. Sub-MOA groups at 100 yards.

Top Bottom