DK Firearms

What is the best holding location in car?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I am working in a more dangerous area of the city. I used to store a pistol and magazine in a lock box in my rear floorboard. It was a pain in the a** for any passengers. Company policy prevents carrying on premises .
    Is there a more obvious location that is easier to access ? I have an advantage in that my car is always stored in a locked garage when I get home. Something obvious like the glove box is nonstarter.

whar say you?
    Venture Surplus ad

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you have a “center console”, get some 2” plastic foam, make a gun silhouette cutout, glue stiff sheet plastic & carpet to match your interior, place in bottom of console, carpet side up, gun beneath.

This will accomodate a gun, but to anyone looking or feeling, it will resemble the bottom of the “empty” compartment.

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    Don't headrests normally just "pull" out?

Just like using a small safe at home.
    Makes a convenient carrying case of all your valuables.
    Break into it somewhere else.

I keep seeing this and am wondering myself. Is there some sort of mechanism that secures it to the seat as well or is it just a hide in plain sight kinda thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Wide selection of colors as long as you want black!
    That’ll satisfy about 90% of the GM products out there now. Those of you that have actual colors in your interior like tred or blue or tan might need to have it recovered or gamble on vinyl paint

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't headrests normally just "pull" out?

Just like using a small safe at home.
    Makes a convenient carrying case of all your valuables.

Break into it somewhere else.

<>

The point is that a potential thief probably wouldn’t recognize that he was looking at a concealment compartment.

Years back, after escaping an attempted kidnapping in South Houston, I put. Hogue-type black synthetic grips on a J-frame, put it into a tan Cordura IWB, clipped it reversed onto the transfer case selector handle, below the handgrip, of my JEEP CJ7, which was topless all Summers..

It looked like part of the transfer case controls and sat there for years unmolested.

I had been a friend & colleague of Doctor Wm Pat Fitzpatrick, who was kidnapped, robbed, drugged, & murdered execution-style near River Oaks, and didn’t want to meet the same fate. (see: https://www.newspapers.com/image/43...9.VLDIqT7C_1_JE1dDCPguuf0AlBHmOGfeSXztXpM42OQ)

I would never do the same today; but it did work perfectly.

leVieux

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Never underestimate the abilities of an old woman.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I need to rig one for my 91Jeep - thanks guys for the ideas & links.

Last edited:

Fishin4guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2019
    Rockport
    https://www.lockerdown.com/

I had one for my Colorado, when I had it. There are others along the same lines, I just don't have the links anymore though.

One of the lockboxes from Hornady might work as well. https://www.hornady.com/security

As for where in the vehicle, good question, and not one I have an answer to.

Have the locker down in my F150, been very happy with it. It is quite solid.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Terralk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2023
    Canyon, Texas
    I bought a smittybilt 2746 in 2016. Have mounted it in 4 different vehicles since then and have been real pleased. I drive and fly a lot of miles every year and have to leave the EDC locked in the car frequently, so this has given me some peace of mind.

It is not quick access, in fact I mount it in the trunk of the car I am busy wearing out and access it only to put the EDC on my person or to lock it up when parked in places I can't carry.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Storage of a gun in vehicle has been the largest concern of carry since getting a permit for me. If on body it’s difficult to due interference with seat belt. My usual answer is to have it in pocket behind passenger seat and holster on exit.

Terralk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2023
    Canyon, Texas
    Storage of a gun in vehicle has been the largest concern of carry since getting a permit for me. If on body it’s difficult to due interference with seat belt. My usual answer is to have it in pocket behind passenger seat and holster on exit.
    I have a very comfortable IWB holster for my G19, it rides just fine in the holster when driving. I am paranoid about an AD by constant re-holstering, so found a local kydex maker that made a holster that works for my body style and carry position.

I have to store my gun frequently while at airports, and sometimes overnight at various offices my employer won't let me carry in.

My choice came down to finding a good vehicle storage system for a few overnights, or simply not carrying for weeks at a time.

XLR8R

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2023
    Paris
    All vehicles have a good place to keep an EDC ready for immediate use.
    The best place to secure an EDC is on your person.
    No locked gun vault stops a determined thief, but most aren't (just opportunistic), and hiding in plain sight often escapes detection.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    No one referenced South Park?
    1678356125939.jpeg

Top Bottom