Sep 11, 2011
    College Station
    Tactical_Operator.jpg

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    You can easily see what true operators are by showing up at Rudy's on 183 every Friday at about 11am. We hold court there. Women swoon. Children gawk in awe. Men step aside.

phil

Iraq Ninja

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Iraq / Houston
    Delta got it from the SAS. It is still a common term with the Brits. I used to work for a brit company overseas and the term was used to describe us guys who were on the teams, and not the support folks.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Delta got it from the SAS. It is still a common term with the Brits. I used to work for a brit company overseas and the term was used to describe us guys who were on the teams, and not the support folks.

We don't want any factual information, it kills the fun.

Let you slide this time seein as you're new and all. :p

Alias-Training

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    Virginia
    From my reading, the term "operator" came about in the late '70s as a term for Delta members. I believe it was a derevitive of the word "operative" used by the CIA. It has since morphed into a more generic term.

I also agree with Sig_Fiend, the term is way overused, as are other military terms; especially on the internet.

OPSEC, AO, etc. Use of those outside of the military context just irritates me.

Exactly.

Only the members of a very select units are truly refered to as "Operators". I'm not going to list them, but most could guess the first two. The rest would be harder.

Nowdays if you wrote boater DUI tickets in the USCG, served in ANY LE capacity, or even went overseas for merely static security jobs some use the term to reference themselves. It's become a marketing trick/tool for those trying to fool people into thinking they did something special.

Top Bottom