• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I've had the idea to look for a used revolver for a long time now. I finally did it and the one that caught my eye was a "Dan Wesson 357 Mag" (I don't remember if Mag or any variation of that was on the gun. I have a horrible memory and should have taken pictures) It was a glossy bluing with wood grips. 6" probably. I think the rear sight was adjustable but the front was a basic iron sight with no red thing on it like I see on google. The cylinder release was new to me, on the swing arm... as I call it anyways. I can't look at the moment, as I'm rushing to type this out, but is there a catalog or something of all the different Dan Wesson models? I'm not sure which one this is.

I think the price was $599, hopefully not $699... As that's a bit more then I want to spend. I could use some pointers on how to check a revolver. I've only bought 1 used gun and it was a Glock 30. Looking online I see some for $500-600 range, but I think they might be better condition. The grips were a bit banged up, but I think the rest was fine/ok. I don't think it had the vents/ribs on the barrel. I was originally wanting to find a S&W with at least a 3" barrel and around $400.

TL DR, what is gun worth and how do I check it?

Thank you,
    Higgins909
    DK Firearms

jar

Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    See if it comes with the feeler gauge & wrench.

Set up properly a DW is the most accurate revolver I have ever shot. It was fun taking it out to the rifle range and busting soda bottles on the berm.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I own a few. Really great guns. $599 seems steep from your description.
    Just as a reference, the last blue 6" 15-2 half lug I bought within the last year I got for $420 shipped and transferred. It's in excellent working order however she has a few areas on the barrel finish that could be refinished.

Do you know if it's a half or full under lug (heavy) barrel? Also, was the front sight red insert missing or was the sight the type without it to begin with.

Higgins909

Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    I have no idea if it went bam. I didn't take the best look at it as I didn't remember how to check them. Visiting the store was done on a whim. I was driving by and was like I'm finally going to do this. It happened to be a pawn shop. Does anyone know if they haggle, when buying? I remember the guy saying they took it apart, when I asked for a model number and they didn't find anything or something... I really should have taken a better look. Are the feeler gauge and wrench something the gun originally came with? $$ I have some feeler gauges at work and allen wrenches. The gap is supposed to be .006? Saw someone demonstrate how to check a revolver on youtube and .005 was snug and .006 didn't go.

I think it was a half lug. Is one more valuable than the other? Looking online at pictures I'm not sure that the front sight was that big. I thought it was solid and didn't have a slot for a insert by the looks of online pictures of other Dan Wessons. The rear sight had the "glock bucket" but it was either dirty or slightly faded. I think I found a picture that looks similar to what I saw. If you look at the bluing, I think it was very similar looking. It doesn't quite look even, to me. IDK if that's just wear or oils or what. https://images.gunsinternational.co...7-Magnum_100993259_90435_BE930D4CC81111EC.JPG I do hope this is in compliance with the statement on top of the website.

I think I know how to check revolvers now, but how do you really check the barrel? I mean you can point it at your face and look down it, but I really don't feel like doing that.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    There won't be any model numbers on it. I've always used DAN WESSON FORUM to determine model.

As might have been mentioned here or in the other recent DW thread, the feeler gauges and barrel nut tool are available online. CZ sells it together in a kit HERE . If you have the feeler gauges already, I think EWK might sell just the tool for a little cheaper. You might want to check them out when they are back online.

The full lugs seem to command a slightly higher price, that's why I had asked.

As far as the blueing, you can start here and it might answer your questions better then I can.
    https://www.danwessonforum.com/foru...-wessons-go-purple-and-others-stay-true-blue/

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've got a DW on my bucket list next - the pistol pac w/at least 4 of the different barrels. I'm expecting to pay $1500-2k for it. So IMO, $599 at a pawn shop is pretty steep. Yes, they WILL negotiate - or else you're in a place you don't want to deal with. I'd offer 'em $500 out the door.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    As with everything else in life. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Do an internet search. Go to the CZ USA / Dan Wesson website and get the model number and limit your search to just that model or skew number. That way you can see what that revolver is selling for across the country.
    I have tried to buy firearms from a couple of local pawn shops. Neither one would negotiate on price. In fact one shop in Plano got testy that I had even mentioned the idea. I wished them a good day, and have never been back.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom