• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I picked up a mossberg 500 18.5 from crzy_one yesterday. Similar boat. Looks like it's almost as cheap to buy another maverick 88

Yeah I see that, but i don’t see any real reason to keep populating my gun safe with 5 different shotguns. I have a Remington 870 and 2 Maverick 88’s now. And I honestly prefer my mavericks.
    A long barrel with chokes will be my next purchase. Probably even a rifled barrel for slugs. That would actually be interesting to get into.
    DK Firearms

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Shot a mossburg 500 for 15 years. Bought a semi auto Beretta and man what a difference. Good choke selection. Likely 5-6k rounds with zero malfunctions. Reduced recoil, looks good, lighter. Worth it.

Last edited:

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    6116e3a100a1371e0799f0f93ff06c04.jpg

I bought this

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    After being let down by my SA35 and every Springfield Armory handgun I’ve ever owned, I managed to find a surplus FN Hi Power trade in online for a decent price.

Let’s see how the real deal treats me. Could definitely use some trigger work.

4d092fd52257b6e1f44064d579209786.jpg

caeac7c604bd67574708386ec92729c3.jpg
    Removing the magazine disconnect safety gets rid of a lot of gritty trigger pull. It was the best mod I ever did to my milsurp old Hi-Power.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Removing the magazine disconnect safety gets rid of a lot of gritty trigger pull. It was the best mod I ever did to my milsurp old Hi-Power.

Planning on doing so. I’ve heard it may weaken the trigger reset and that some people replace some other spring to add a bit more force to the trigger reset, while others find it fine to leave it be with just the disconnect removed and don’t notice any issues.

What’s your experience?

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I just shot it as is after removing the mag disconnect. It was just a range toy so I didn't modify anything else until I sold it.

I see. Contemplating adding a bigger safety, maybe the browning ambi safeties seen on more modern production guns, and a cylinder slide sear/hammer (while they still have any stock left) as well as maybe swapping the sights. But then I also sometimes think maybe I should leave the sights be. They suck but they’re not the worst I’ve seen… it’s not like a surplus trade in T Series is some big collector gun that is sacrilegious to modify as of right now, at least as far as I know. It just wouldn’t match the patina lol.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    My Hi-Power had the ultra crappy low profile rear notch and front blade sights. Despite the crappy sights it was still super accurate.

It's your pistol so you should modify what you don't like especially if it's not a super rare collectible.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I just removed the disconnect safety only. It did help.
    No issues with anything. Mine is a MkIII model.

Good to hear. I might as well try it out and see how it is first.

My Hi-Power had the ultra crappy low profile rear notch and front blade sights. Despite the crappy sights it was still super accurate.

It's your pistol so you should modify what you don't like especially if it's not a super rare collectible.

Yeah, good point. I’ll try it out with the factory sights and see how annoying they really are.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    An update on the maverick 88 I traded for.

So after a thorough cleanup and lubricant application the whole pump action still felt like dragging my balls across gravel when worked.

So I disassembled the whole thing to look for marks where rubbing was happening.
    The most obvious was where the pump moved down across the magazine tube.

So I took a long and wide file with a half circle shape to it. I filed for a few minutes as even as I could on the parts that made contact.

It’s like a different gun now, it’s as smooth as my other maverick 88 is.

Top Bottom