• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Well, I picked up my first Dan Wesson .357 mag today from a pawn shop and spent the last couple of hours online trying to figure out what I have. They don’t stamp the model numbers on the revolvers, and the serial number info is hard to come by since mine apparently is from the original Dan Wesson company. It seems DW changed hands a couple of times, and if it’s not a current CZ version, then there are no records. This little jewel is a model 14-2, manufactured in Monson, Mass in what I believe to be 1975. The bluing is all there, but it’s turned a plum color in spots. There are some small knicks on it but they don’t really stand out. I believe these may the the original grips. No box or paperwork. In my non expert opinion, it’s probably an 80-90%. Very light ring on the cylinder so I don’t think it’s been fired much

Attachments

• DFCC0F3B-5CCF-40CA-843E-6180A4152485.jpeg
      DFCC0F3B-5CCF-40CA-843E-6180A4152485.jpeg
      430.2 KB · Views: 81
    • CFEEBF73-77F9-4D09-89E0-1FF61B3B8991.jpeg
      CFEEBF73-77F9-4D09-89E0-1FF61B3B8991.jpeg
      373.2 KB · Views: 78

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Well, I picked up my first Dan Wesson .357 mag today from a pawn shop and spent the last couple of hours online trying to figure out what I have. They don’t stamp the model numbers on the revolvers, and the serial number info is hard to come by since mine apparently is from the original Dan Wesson company. It seems DW changed hands a couple of times, and if it’s not a current CZ version, then there are no records. This little jewel is a model 14-2, manufactured in Monson, Mass in what I believe to be 1975. The bluing is all there, but it’s turned a plum color in spots. There are some small knicks on it but they don’t really stand out. I believe these may the the original grips. No box or paperwork. In my non expert opinion, it’s probably an 80-90%. Very light ring on the cylinder so I don’t think it’s been fired much
    Nice find. Would you mind posting a picture of the muzzle?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    That's pretty clean compared to a lot I've seen.
    You might find more information here https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/
    Ya, I already registered as a member there. The s# is only 5 digits which is contrary to everything else I’ve found online. I’m wondering if it’s even earlier than ’75. When I get a reply from the experts there, I’ll update if different

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I see you're already there.
    It's a good forum for researching.
    Not a lot of traffic though.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nope. No extra barrels so not needed I guess
    Yeah, they are needed. Probably.

I've known competition shooters who kept the gap smaller than spec and claimed that they got better accuracy and more velocity. They also had to brush the front of the cylinder after every 5 rounds or so. So you don't know how a previous owner might have set the cylinder gap.

It's most likely it's never been touched from the factory so you might just eyeball the gap, decide it looks close to right, and start shooting. That would probably work fine.

But the wrench and gauge are standard kit with that revolver. You're going to want those tools some day.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Yeah, they are needed. Probably.

I've known competition shooters who kept the gap smaller than spec and claimed that they got better accuracy and more velocity. They also had to brush the front of the cylinder after every 5 rounds or so. So you don't know how a previous owner might have set the cylinder gap.

It's most likely it's never been touched from the factory so you might just eyeball the gap, decide it looks close to right, and start shooting. That would probably work fine.

But the wrench and gauge are standard kit with that revolver. You're going to want those tools some day.
    Ya I found a company in California that makes the wrench &.006 gauge set. I may pick one up.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ya I found a company in California that makes the wrench &.006 gauge set. I may pick one up.
    Pro-tip - Never decide that those items are tools and should go in your toolbox. They need to stay in the same case as the revolver. Once they're separated, they grow legs and walk away.

I know this from experience.

Top Bottom