• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That would depend on where it starts. They all have a noise reduction rating and it reduces the noice a certain amount from the naturals level.

Even then, the ratings should be taken with a grain of salt since this rating is often based on a specific frequency and the frequency used for testing can vary depending on the model and manufacturer.

All that said, I have a set of Howard Lieght electronic ear pro, slimmer profile but don’t remember the exact model, and I’m very happy with them. Have used them for .50 BMG without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I don't think a blanket statement like that is correct.
    They supposedly have an NRR of 30.
    I have a couple pairs, and like them.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    That's not exactly how it works. The electronics have a threshold of 82db at which time the sound amplification cuts out. But the actual sound you hear may be louder than that. They have a NNR, noise reduction rating, of 30 compared to 22 NNR for the impact sports. I think that means that they will reduce the sound by 30 db.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    That would depend on where it starts. They all have a noise reduction rating and it reduces the noice a certain amount from the naturals level.

Even then, the ratings should be taken with a grain of salt since this rating is often based on a specific frequency and the frequency used for testing can vary depending on the model and manufacturer.

All that said, I have a set of Howard Lieght electronic ear pro, slimmer profile but don’t remember the exact model, and I’m very happy with them. Have used them for .50 BMG without any issues.

Maybe you have the R-01526 with an NRR 22 rating? Amazon product ASIN B001T7QJ9O
    The best protection available is almost always foam earplugs if inserted correctly.

I've tried earplugs with muffs and still find my indoor range very loud. Maybe I have the wrong plugs.
    I'll have to check out that brand.
    I don't think a blanket statement like that is correct.
    They supposedly have an NRR of 30.
    I have a couple pairs, and like them.
    Are you referring to the 82 db?
    That's not exactly how it works. The electronics have a threshold of 82db at which time the sound amplification cuts out. But the actual sound you hear may be louder than that. They have a NNR, noise reduction rating, of 30 compared to 22 NNR for the impact sports. I think that means that they will reduce the sound by 30 db.
    So that 82 db is somewhat erroneous.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Maybe you have the R-01526 with an NRR 22 rating? Amazon product ASIN B001T7QJ9OI've tried earplugs with muffs and still find my indoor range very loud. Maybe I have the wrong plugs.

Foam earplugs must be inserted much further than most people do in order to get the proper effect. If they are out in right, they’re difficult to remove.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Maybe you have the R-01526 with an NRR 22 rating? Amazon product ASIN B001T7QJ9OI've tried earplugs with muffs and still find my indoor range very loud. Maybe I have the wrong plugs.

Yes, I am referring to the 82 db.

The headphones can't reduce ALL volumes down to 82 db.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Instead of spending money on the bestest ear muffs, I just double up with foam plugs and noise canceling muffs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    open-legs-stock-picture-2942552.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    But they do nothing for that sensitive bone behind the ear that is also part of the hearing.

Yeah, always hear about this. Have not and will most likely never worry about it.

C7Z062019

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Sugar Land
    Instead of spending money on the bestest ear muffs, I just double up with foam plugs and noise canceling muffs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I've been using the Howard Leight airsoft earplugs and an inexpensive set of ear muffs. The earplugs are very good along with the muffs and block out enough sound that I can't hear conversation at all but gun noise is still very loud. I just need something better.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've been using the Howard Leight airsoft earplugs and an inexpensive set of ear muffs. The earplugs are very good along with the muffs and block out enough sound that I can't hear conversation at all but gun noise is still very loud. I just need something better.

Is your issue due to being inside at a range?
    It's always going to be loud if long guns are involved.

Top Bottom