Lynx Defense

What do you wear hunting in Texas and other American states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Your movement is way more critical then the color & pattern on your hunting clothes! The only camo I ever owned was surplus & it was bought more for cheap clothes then hunting.

I have a buddy I met in an Archery shop. He is convinced that Whitetail are easily spooked & hunters need camo & cover scents. While I hunted in Africa I smoked, wore t-shirts & shorts & mainly walked & stalked. Animals in Africa have more predators to worry about & a far more skittish IMHO.

Well, the vast majority of my deer hunting in the past was done from tree stands and blinds. The deer had not one clue of what I was wearing!

If I wanted to deer hunt now, it matters little what I wear. All I have to do is step out on the back porch. They have been as close as under 50 yards from the house!
    Hurley's Gold

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    ArsenioSlam.gif

Attachments

• ArsenioSlam.gif
      ArsenioSlam.gif
      611.2 KB · Views: 871

d_holliday

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2020
    Fort Hood, Tx
    Hunting clothing has to suit the hunting environment and conditions. Hunting from a stand or blind for deer, is way different than bow hunting, or turkey hunting where camouflage is more critical.

We never hunted turkey here in East Texas, even though they had a specific turkey season, there were no turkey's! I have never to this day seen one in the wild here.

Even when I got into archery hunting many years ago, we hog hunted, so camo wasn't critical either.

I watched an episode of The Waltons from 1972. They were doing a holiday season turkey hunt. John Boy and none of the others were sporting cammies. John Boy gets "Tom Fever". Draws a bead on the bird, his first gobbler, but can't pull the trigger. Those guns look like American colonial muzzleloaders. This was supposed to be West Virginia in the 1930's. I guess the poor mountain folks then still had those old-fashioned guns.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I wear underwear hunting....

....well, I really don't hunt. Too much effort to only shoot once. But, I tend to wear underwear everywhere else. So, I would likely wear underwear if I were hunting, too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I generally wear a loincloth. If I go to higher latitudes, I will sometimes wear a fur lined loincloth. Once my spear is blooded, I drink my morning mead from the empty skulls of my conquests.

newbirdhunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Generally I wear a hat to keep heat from escaping and a full cover garment to regulate my overall core temp plus well soled boots for trekking rough terrain.
    newbirdhunter-apparel.png

Midlifer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Dove season is usually as hot as a pistol so the coolest lightest camo gear is in order. Texas deer seasons might not always get so chilly so I figure it smart to dress in layers. When it's chilly out of doors I always like to sport a Pendleton wool shirt as my grandfather always did out on the party boat fishing. Maybe some ideas from folks here. Some here may hunt deer in Tx while others might head to colder, northern states in November. I figure much of the same stuff one hunts deer can also be used to hunt fox, rabbit, bear, cougar, bobcat, elk, moose, antelope, buffalo, pheasant, grouse, coyotes and partridges. I think ducks and geese usually require waders and stuff for wet environments. One of my biggest concerns is gloves that won't interfere with the operation of the gun. As a soldier, the mil-spec leather black issue work gloves and wool liners were great for firing M16's and other US weapons. They weren't waterproof for rain, though. Drying them by the heater vents in army trucks was a common affair in the field. I'm on the market for a Savage 99. The lever loop is slim as is most lever jobs. The Winchester Model 1892 large loop carbine is what John Wayne sported in True Grit ("Fill your hands, you son of a ....!!!"). That fat lever is great for any thick hunting gloves for cold weather under the sun. Will issue army work gloves be slim enough for regular slim levers on rifles? I think clothing is one of the most important things to consider when playing out of doors. If you freeze to death in a deer stand or sweat like a pig on a dove stool you will know what I mean.

Just looking on Google for pics of deer hunters in Texas the usual garb is camo with baseball hats or cowboy outfits complete with Stetsons. Blaze orange where the law says you gotta put it on. This is what seems in fashion these days. I care more about functionality afield than fashion though. The buffalo plaid looks so Norman Rockwell indeed.

Here are some clothing ideas of my own for most American hunting and most of it I found listed on amazon.com "for a song":

View attachment 222892
    I live in Montana. Opening day of deer last year the low was -12°F. Insulated boots and gloves are mandatory, layers are always best as you can add and subtract as the day progresses. Hunters orange is required everywhere, including private land, though with 900k acres of public nearby private isn’t necessary. Camo helps, some but only because you’re moving quite a bit and breaking up your silhouette is important.
    Dove in Texas is/ was light lose clothing, frequently shorts and snake boots and a wide brimmed hat. When I hunted deer in Texas I usually wore dark colors in a box blind to “blend” with its back wall.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    CAVEAT:

Since several members have mentioned "Academy", etc. as sources of outdoor clothing, I have a small warning.

Those big chain stores can get special manufacturing to reduce prices.

Generally, Cabela's & LL Bean are large enough to set their own standards.

The result is that many items which seem identical @ chain stores, with better prices, actually may have major features deleted. Examples are fewer or no pockets, lesser waterproofing material, smaller zippers, etc.

I learned this the hard way years ago, when buying a parka at the WalMart in Falfurrias.

leVieux

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Hunting trips run from fairly hot/warm to seriously cold.

Hard leather boots and snake chaps in early season near rocky areas or high desert. Same for chukar hunts.

For dove, it's a t-shirt and a shell vest. For pheasant, it's an undershirt, longhandles if it's cold, a flannel shirt, maybe a hoodie, and a bird vest (one area we go, I need chest waders). Duck/geese was usually colder, so hip or chest waders, longhandles, boot warmers, poly hoodie, facemask, dacron vest and overcoat, heavy gloves or shooting mittens, handwarmers.

For mule deer, usually just an Armour undershirt, blue jeans or camo jeans, an insulated hoodie and an orange cap. Maybe raingear. For elk, longhandles, wool pants, heavy shirt, down vest, overcoat, raingear as needed. Hiking boots or pak boots depending on whether or not there is snow. Orange cap, red neckerchief. Utility harness with drinking bag. Or daypack with snacks/water, and gear.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom