DK Firearms

What do you think about this brisket cook time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Aiming to smoke my first brisket this Sunday. I hope I didn't wait too long to buy a brisket, as I'm going to buy Friday. I didn't realize it was mothers day. My dad has made 10-20 or so briskets when I lived with him. I got his recipe as I honestly think it's some of the best brisket I've ever had. I just wonder if it sounds good to you guys. Looking online the time varies a good amount.

Coat with olive oil (Does it need to be olive oil? Might skip this)
    Coarse salt or sea salt
    Table salt (probably skip?)
    Garlic salt
    Black pepper
    brisket rub

I used to be the fire starter/keeper helper. We used to smoke it with Mesquite which is what I got, for about 2-3hrs at 175F or 190F I'm not really sure. Then wrap it and cook it until about 6pm. I just have no idea what it weighed. The recipe says to cook for 5-8hrs at 220F after smoking for 2-3. I feel like we would start at 9-10am and be eating at 6, maybe 7pm. Which is 10hs max if I did my math right. I think the briskets used the be about 2-3inch thick and maybe 10" deep and then 18" wide.

We used to save the juice when we opened the wrap up and I think that is one of the reasons his is the best.

Edit: forgot to say we cook it at around 220F or whatever we could get with the wood fire, sometimes quite high.

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Gun Zone Deals

Reactions: AS2

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That sounds like something from Carolina.

Vaquero,

TRUE, though mustard BBQ sauce is mostly served near COLUMBIA, SC.
    (There is at least 5 different sorts of "BBQ" served in SC. = ANYTHING that is cooked outdoors, including BURGERS & HOT DOGS is called BBQ there.)

NOTE: One of the versions of SC BBQ sauces is NOTHING more than white vinegar, crushed, fresh garlic pods,salt & a LOT of CAYENNE PEPPER . = That stuff can be PAINFUL to eat.

FYI, I marinate my raw brisket in my lady's version of Italian salad dressing, which is mostly olive oil, vinegar & spices & baste the cooking brisket with the same dressing.

There are about as many versions of BBQ brisket as there are BBQ cooks.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    @Higgins909 , a properly smoked brisket, is done low and slow. I generally keep my smoking temps under 225 degrees and as close to 200 as possible for the duration of the smoking. As @Vaquero mentioned, about an hour per pound of meat is good rule of thumb for any very large cuts of meat on a smoker. The lower the temperature, the longer it needs to be on the smoker.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Set out for room temp, season to taste salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Smoke slow 250 degrees for 10 to 12 hours. If wrapped maybe cut a couple of hours off. There are hundreds of ways. Do what you prefer.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ... I just wonder if it sounds good to you guys....

Thanks,
    Higgins909
    Brisket always sounds good. Taste is a different matter entirely.

My taste leans toward SPOG (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder) heaviest on pepper. That’s the rub. Rub tonight and let it sit until early Sunday morning.

About 2:00 am, wake up, pull the brisket out and let it start warming up to room temp. Grab a beer and some michelada mix. Combine the beer and Michelada mix and consume at a reasonable pace.

About 3:00 am, light the fire and bring the smoker up to temp, somewhere between 205 and 225 at the grate (probes are good for this). Make another
    Michelada and when the the smoker is up to temp, put a probe in the brisket and throw it on the smoker.

Go back to bed for a quick nap, aiming to wake up about 3 or 4 hours later.

Wake up and make another michelada.

When the brisket stalls at about 165*, wrap it in butcher paper if you want to, understanding that the crust won’t be as crisp if you wrap it.

Time to switch to just beer. Consume as required until the brisket reaches 195-200*. Pull the brisket, wrap it in a good, heavy towel, and put it in a cooler. Have more beer for a couple hours; the meat needs to relax and you do, too.

Once you and the beef are good and loose, go ahead and pull it out of the cooler and prep to serve.

That’s a lot of damn work, so you could just call Rudy’s and order 5 or so pounds along with sausage and all the fixin’s for Sunday pickup and then you can just concentrate on relaxing with Momma on Sunday.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Shortly after we moved into the old house I gave up on outdoor cooking. I hated going back and forth through the sliding patio door!

I started doing brisket in the oven in a Coke concoction. Done right it gave a fake smoke ring and great bark.

12 ounce Coke
    Large white onion diced
    3-4 Jalapeño diced
    Garlic cloves crushed to taste
    1 bunch of cilantro diced
    1 bottle Hienz Chili sauce

All of the above was mixed & poured over the brisket. Baked @ 350 degrees for 3 hours in a tightly covered pan. The liquid poured off and reduced, while the brisket continued @ 225 degrees uncovered. The reduced sauce was basted on & the brisket turned every 30 minutes until the bark was right.

My know it all father in law with me about it being smoked. One could put liquid smoke in the sauce, but I have always been against its use.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I may be called a commie for this, but an easy way I do it is smoke it for 3 hrs at 225, then wrap in foil and finish in the oven so I don't have to babysit my cheap the smoker all day. As others have said, 1 hr per pound.

Top Bottom