DK Firearms

What do you not like about ranges you've been to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    A few miles north of Cedar Ridge is Dietz Gun Shop & Shooting Range; 1 price all day, all ranges, all guns; no rapid fire (1 shot per second). Good folks, give them a try.

LOL!! Cedar Ridge can be hard on new comers and I can see how some people are turned off by them, but I've been going there for a while and really like the place. Especially during the week. I been meaning to check out Dietz one of these days though. I have yet to hear anything bad about them.
    Gun Zone Deals

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    hate hate hate RSOs that think we are all new boots in the Marine Corps. I do not need to be barked at when I've done nothing wrong. Correct me if I violate the rules but otherwise leave me be.

Consider a separate area designated for new shooters that have more RSOs that can give needed attention to new shooters. Correct them, don't turn them off of shooting.

Consider shooter education classes be made available.

Hate the rapid fire rules. Consider a separate line for people who want the one shot per hour rules.

Please separate the bays adequately so that I don't get hot brass pinging off of my head from the guy to my left.

designate an open area for holster work. maybe berms on all 4 sides.

rifle racks and pistol racks in all bays would be a huge plus.

I like the red lights and green lights in bays to indicate hot and cold ranges.

I'll think of more later.

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    I will not use a range that makes me shoot their ammo only, especially if you only sell reloads. Pardon me for not trusting thousands of dollars of my firearms to some yahoo whom I have no idea if he knew what he was doing when reloading.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I hate the brass case only rule. I often donate my brass and don't care if they make a buck or two on my brass. But don't charge me and then expect me to sort your profit as well. When I use these ranges I always police the brass.

profound thinking about stuff

manceviller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    I would really like to have somewhere I can shoot reactive targets. Paper targets are all well and good for the hunter who is just at the range for technical work (sighting in, etc.) but for the average guy who just wants to have a little fun paper gets ollllllld after about thirty minutes. Just some metal plates that I could hear ring every time I shot them would be fantastic. Also, how about having a dedicated section for ARs? I really really hate when I'm shooting a .22 at 50 yards and some jackweed posts up next to me with an AR with a ported barrel, 10x power scope and starts blasting away at 25 yards. And his empty cases keep smacking me in the face. Just my two cents.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Like others, here, I detest Range Nazi's and refuse to let them bark at me. I may get thrown out but that stuff won't get it with me!

I belong to two private clubs and have been a member of two others. When I am the range officer, I am polite to all shooters even if I need to correct their behavior. Before a cease fire, I announce it, then allow each shooter to fire what is loaded in their firearm. I ask that they not reload. This is nothing but common courtesy.

I HAVE had some safety issues to deal with and an emergency or two which required an expedited cease fire. Even so, it is done with courtesy and respect to all.

My brass is MY property. I will not give it away because it hit the ground.

Flash

Last edited:

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Here's an RSO/instructor's perspective:

A shooting range is the perfect place to point a pistol at a boyfriend's face and make "pew, pew" noises - everyone will think you're really cute and laugh.

Texans are born with expert gun-handling in their DNA, so they "don't need no darned help", dummy - tsk. Other than the band-aid for your booboo less than 10 minutes later, that is.

Spray-painted jeans, 4-inch heels and a top which reveals a tattoo reading "I do it for $$$" is totally appropriate fashion for a shooting lesson.

A double-tap from a 50-cal Desert Eagle which sends the second bullet through the ceiling is totally understandable if you simply tell the range officer "Dude, I'm the best in my clan online using a Deagle, so like, chill out, I know what I'm doing". Like, who wouldn't fail to admire a guy such as that?

3 people can totally fit into a 2-person space - as long as the person in the middle shoots at both targets so as to hit the walls on both sides of the range.

If the pistol won't fire, it's totally natural to turn it sideways and peer at the lettering on the slide - the guys yelling at you about "flagging" are just worry-warts who are too tense and shouldn't even be allowed near a shooting range.

It's perfectly all right to allow a child to carry your firearms and even shoot them while you run off to the bathroom - everyone else at the range will keep an eye on your child for you because they really have nothing better to do. Also, any person who points that it's a Class C misdemeanor for you to allow your child to handle a firearm without you being present is obviously an idiot.

It's perfectly acceptable to offer your girlfriend's "favors" in exchange for more ammunition once you've shot your lone box of 25. Similarly, it's the done thing when the owner of a range asks you to leave when you exit your vehicle with a beer in your hand - he'll definitely change his mind at that offer.

Safety rules are for old farts and sissies - nobody ever died at a shooting range.

It's ok to walk up to the firing line with a concealed and fully-loaded firearm - everyone will admire the fact that you can conceal a full-size cocked 'n' locked 1911 under your shirt when you casually whip it out and plunk it down on the table while they're downrange changing targets during a ceasefire. Range officers love surprises such as that and will want to learn more from an operator like you.

Wearing a tac-vest to the range means you're a real operator - everybody knows that. Bonus points if it's a real "Blackhawk!" vest, and double-bonus points if you also have a sheathed knife tied to your thigh.

The police officer's badge on your belt means that you can over-ride the range officers any time you want, because you're a trained professional. Threatening to arrest them when they won't bow to your authority will earn the respect of everyone present and ensure the immediate cooperation of the range officer
    biggrin.gif
    (I hope his ears are still bleeding, I really do).

You don't need to make sure that your bullets don't hit other people's targets or parts of the range other than the backstop, because bullets really do stop once they've hit a paper target.

The fact that you just paid a range-fee absolutely means that you shouldn't have to wait a few minutes for a bay to become available - doubly-so if you're someone important at your company.

That the bulk of your shots on the target are low absolutely means that there's something wrong with the sights, yes.

A little Bryco, Jennings or Jimenez pistol is a great choice with which to teach your girlfriend how to shoot accurately at 15 yards plus. Bonus points if it's missing the extractor - who needs it?

"It's empty - see, the slide is locked back?" is the perfect counter to accusations of "flagging". So is the statement "It's only a .22" - everyone around you will come away much wiser.

A handgun pointed upwards Charlie's Angels-style and finger on the (single-action) trigger is the perfect shooting position for a nervous beginner - and the bigger the caliber, the better; she will really admire the fact that you are man enough to handle the enormous recoil and will want to have your children.

If 9mm cartridges will fire in your .40S&W pistol, then by all means, buy 9mm ammo instead - it's cheaper. You're not a reloader, so you don't need to worry about the funny bulges the cases have.

After dropping the mag, it's totally acceptable to work the slide to get the round out of the chamber while pointing the muzzle at your own chest.

I also learned, that after showing a 60+ year old lady how to shoot steel plates at 10 yards with her .38 S&W snub-nose - hitting 4/5 plates in DA mode - that some ladies learn so quickly that they will then shoot 5/5 plates also in DA, totally destroying their instructor
    biglaugh.gif

Oh, yeah, almost forgot - it's possible to miss a B27 man-sized target with a scoped Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag - with all 6 shots at 7 yards.

It's a great idea to arrive at a range and walk to the line with a magazine in place and the action closed - because "It's empty, duh!"

Carry on shooting at range equipment after you've been asked to stop; after all, you've paid a range-fee so it's your right to get your money's worth.

Tell the range officer that he's only being stuffy about muzzle-discipline because he hates his $5/hour job and enjoys taking it out on innocent people who are just there for some fun.

Only redneck types really, really need eye-protection, right? If you're a Mercedes driver, you really, really don't because you're already wearing contact-lenses.

You get more leverage to cock the slide on a pistol by pointing it sideways at everyone else on the line.

Flirt outrageously with the RO so that he doesn't notice your hubby performing his double-taps on the sly (and hitting the upper barrier with the second shot) - it's just good teamwork.

If you're intending to hunt deer and go to a range to sight in your rifle, and the elevation adjustment screw on your scope just spins instead of actually adjusting anything.... what the heck, it's only for deer - it'll be good enough.

Pulling a trigger harder actually makes a bullet fly faster.

Snipping a few coils off a recoil spring is a great way to allow your wife to cock the slide on your pistol.

It's better to bleed all over the royal bluing of a pristine Colt Python than admit that you were a putz and accept a band-aid from the RO who advised you about that very same technique's potential for injury not 10 minutes before.

Everyone brings their dogs to the range, right? Especially on the line with you under cover where it's practically indoors so the dog is crazed with pain in his ears.

If your newbie buddy has a cocked revolver in his hand and you want to correct him, by all means, reach over and grab the top-strap and cylinder with your left hand as he's about to fire.

Double-bonus points if you then manage to pull the trigger as you struggle for control of the handle - and turn the tip of one of your left-hand fingers into what looks like an exploded link sausage with a white bone stuck in the middle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Carry on shooting at range equipment after you've been asked to stop; after all, you've paid a range-fee so it's your right to get your money's worth.
    I know of a private range that saw very little use that set up an inverted section of railroad rail to support steel targets with feet. It was fun to shoot the targets off the rail.

Some idiot proceeded to use a .50 BMG to perforate the rail at the thinnest part of the rail cross-section. He did it over and over until the top and bottom halves of the rail separated. He spent hundreds of rounds getting it done over the course of a couple of months. He was never positively identified.

After that, despite their small size and bureaucratic lethargy, even that club managed to find the funds to install security cameras.

Pulling a trigger harder actually makes a bullet fly faster.
    This was once a very common belief among the natives who worked for professional hunters in Africa.

If you've actually encountered this belief in the USA, well, then, I grieve for the aggregate state of our education and intelligence.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Yes - I taught San (Bushman), Zulu and Xhosa folks who firmly believed that. I was totally taken aback at hearing it from an American, though.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Awesome list Andy. I like the style. ;) I've met many of those people too. Here's a few of mine:

It is perfectly okay for your son to stand with his head 12" away from the muzzle brake on your .338 Ultra Mag. He's wearing hearing and eye protection after all.

I yelled at you for muzzle sweeping me, your boyfriend, two kids and their dad with a loaded gun and finger on trigger. I mean it was on a full indoor range during deer season. That's my excuse really, I mean, yelling?! Totally uncalled for I can totally see why that hurt your feelings. Feel free to accept my apologies for raising my voice.

Lots more where that came from.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Feel free to allow your 3-4 year old to run down the front of a firing line with live fire, and also feel free to act like I'm an asshole for saying you have no business at a range with a small child under zero supervision. I mean I just saw her face in my cross hairs what's the big deal right?

Won't say what rang it was but she ran in front of 3 of us.

sent from the bathroom

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    One of the biggest complaints I have about some of the outdoor ranges I've been to, is the excessive overhang on the covered portion of the line. If I were a shorter individual, it would be fine but, being on the taller side, it's Extremely annoying.

Not having a bench or a seating area at the shooting area is also very annoying. Being of the handicapped nature, I often need an area, near or at "my" lane, where I can sit and reload my mags., clear jams, do a quick wipe down, or just sit and watch others while I have a smoke or take a break.

Not being able to do draw and fire drills is another major complaint. I understand we need safety for all but, without doing those drills how do you become safe and proficient at them. Like dry firing at the house and practicing the draw and fire routine you become better at it but, there is no replacement for actual live fire drills.

On a good idea note. The range out in Midland, Tx, the Midland Shooters (Something) had a bay at the end of the line where you could bring and shoot almost anything. From .22lr shot to full auto shotguns and machine guns. Or that black powder .50 cal. musket. Pretty much an "anything goes" bay. And I did quite often see guys firing their Uzis and Tommy guns in it.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    One of the biggest complaints I have about some of the outdoor ranges I've been to, is the excessive overhang on the covered portion of the line. If I were a shorter individual, it would be fine but, being on the taller side, it's Extremely annoying.

Not having a bench or a seating area at the shooting area is also very annoying. Being of the handicapped nature, I often need an area, near or at "my" lane, where I can sit and reload my mags., clear jams, do a quick wipe down, or just sit and watch others while I have a smoke or take a break.

Not being able to do draw and fire drills is another major complaint. I understand we need safety for all but, without doing those drills how do you become safe and proficient at them. Like dry firing at the house and practicing the draw and fire routine you become better at it but, there is no replacement for actual live fire drills.

On a good idea note. The range out in Midland, Tx, the Midland Shooters (Something) had a bay at the end of the line where you could bring and shoot almost anything. From .22lr shot to full auto shotguns and machine guns. Or that black powder .50 cal. musket. Pretty much an "anything goes" bay. And I did quite often see guys firing their Uzis and Tommy guns in it.

I like shooting at Lonestar, just north of Lockhart, but they have eliminated pistol or revolver shooting
    at the 50 & 100 yard range, and I shoot IHMSA metallic silhouette, and we START at 50 meters, so
    shooting my pistols and revolvers at 25 yards makes no sense. So, guess I'll have to find me another
    range to shoot at. Too bad, cause that place is less then 4 miles from my house.

Top Bottom