Target Sports

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    According to almost every Hornet guy I've ever talked to, Lil Gun and the Hornet are a magical combination.

Sure sounds like you're getting good results.
    Military Camp

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Yesterday, I did some testing with my TC contender, 22 hornet and Lil Gun powder. I had done some research and got a lot of conflicting answers. My TC loading manual shows 12-13 grains of lil gun using a 55 grain bullet.

I got some feedback that 55 gr. is too heavy . Plus in looking at the hornady website, it shows 12- 13 grains for almost every bullet weight. An most powders are pushing the 55 grain at 2100 fps or so. But they show the Lil Gun way above the rest at 2500 fps.

And I got feedback from someone who said they see pressure signs with around 12 grs. So I reloaded some more, from 11.0 -11.8. Thinking I would not even shoot the 12-13 gr.

But at the range, I got some readings , but still learning my chrony. Got a lot of errors, I believe it was due to lighting conditions. Anyway, seemed to have a good node at 11.2 and 11.4 gr. With these , just a little over 2500 fps. AWESOME.

After the I had some more issues, but did get a reading at around 12.2 gr, 2400 fps. I ended up cautiously shooting all the way to 13.0 gr. and didn't see any pressure issues.

But I am very happy with the 11.2 and 11.4 velocities. My next step will be to load up some at 11.3 gr. and start experimenting with seating depth. These 55 grains have a cannelure, so I don't really know if I will deviate much from seating in the cannelure.

By the way, the TC barrel is the 14 inch barrel, and very moderate in recoil. This might end up being my favorite barrel. I also have 22 mag, 7 TCU , and 7x30 Waters.

Sorry, for the long read, but wanted to share.

I enjoyed reading your post, not too long at all.

Sounds like you’re working up quite the handy little coyote popper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Been loading 6.5 cm in alpha brass and having pressure problems on even moderate charge weights. I think some of it is tight chamber on Christensen arms MPR and some of it could be thick brass. I might have to get a neck turner

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Been loading 6.5 cm in alpha brass and having pressure problems on even moderate charge weights. I think some of it is tight chamber on Christensen arms MPR and some of it could be thick brass. I might have to get a neck turner

Depending on the batch that is not uncommon. Their early stuff was very finicky. The newer ocd labeled stuff seems to be solid.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    Depending on the batch that is not uncommon. Their early stuff was very finicky. The newer ocd labeled stuff seems to be solid.
    This is the newer OCD stuff. I ran some through my savage 10T and it wasn’t as bad but still showed pressure earlier than expected. I did find a good node there. I’ll chrono and see where it ends up

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Casting and sizing is done in the shop, to keep lead exposure down in the home. You ever try to lube/size on a day like today. Heater running full blast, heat gun aimed at the lubrasizer, still not moving right.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    This is the newer OCD stuff. I ran some through my savage 10T and it wasn’t as bad but still showed pressure earlier than expected. I did find a good node there. I’ll chrono and see where it ends up

That’s been my biggest hangup of jumping to them over big blue. I would love to support a solid American company but I’m deterred by the early pressure issue at hand…….A good friend has a ton of early 6.5 creed brass that almost over pressures at most starting velocity specs.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    That’s been my biggest hangup of jumping to them over big blue. I would love to support a solid American company but I’m deterred by the early pressure issue at hand…….A good friend has a ton of early 6.5 creed brass that almost over pressures at most starting velocity specs.
    Mine landed on a great node at mid range for powder charge.
    40.0 gr of H4350.
    Bolt gets sticky if the seating depth is a few thousands short.
    If I do my job at the seating stage, it's all good.
    105 berger hunting hybrid.
    Small rifle primer.

Reactions: dee

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Going through the old stuff sorting and such, thanks to this stinking weather, and look at that. 1980. 43 years ago small rifle primers

CDD1A188-A659-47F4-8110-DFE92FC6F4DD.jpeg

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Finished up development on a low cost training load for my 5.56 rifles that clones Federal Fusion MSR 62 grain. Now I just gotta wait for a good deal on shipping and hazmat fees for the powder and primers. In the mean time I’ll start getting brass prepped.

Next step is to develop a precision 5.56 load with 77 gr bullets.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    The handle on my .410 MEC Grabber broke yesterday. I called a shooting buddy that has lots of parts and he said he had three. Nearly 1/2 hour each way. He had three, all the wrong style. Pooh!
    Stole the handle off of the 20 gauge machine and put on the .410 machine. The swap took me about 3/4 of an hour.

6A0A45A2-35EE-4BDB-A3FE-6647B6A2AE54.jpeg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Went to the range today to test some buckshot loads. They all worked great but one of the highest loads hung up in the chamber and I had to mortar the shotgun to get the slide to rack. Maybe it was a little too hot so I'll back off a little from max.
    6a26ff801546042b427029dea4f3089f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Reloaded a couple hundred 25-20 Win. RP brass, WSR primers, 2400 powder, 86 gr Hornady soft points. I hate to think how much these cost but it’s reload or go home because there’s zero new ammo. I paid a Kings Ransom for every component. The rifle is a Cody Ballard low wall. All up, it’s all smiles every time it goes to the range or woods walking.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Reloaded a couple hundred 25-20 Win. RP brass, WSR primers, 2400 powder, 86 gr Hornady soft points. I hate to think how much these cost but it’s reload or go home because there’s zero new ammo. I paid a Kings Ransom for every component. The rifle is a Cody Ballard low wall. All up, it’s all smiles every time it goes to the range or woods walking.
    I same with my 32-20. I am using cast bullets from Bear Creek because I am out of the Kings Ransom right now.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Started breaking in a couple of new (to me) bullet molds.... a heavy 357 and a light 45...
    The 357 is a two cavity, and the 45 is a 4 cavity. Didn't do a whole bunch, about 70 of each, but it will give me enough to evaluate them.
    The 357 is a fat heavy.... drops right at .360 (perfect)... .it's supposed to be 180gr, but I didn't weigh any. My scale was put up, out of the way of melted lead.
    The 45 drops at .453-4, and weighs right at 235gr.
    Both are the "tumble lube" style lube grooves. I had shot about 10 of the 45's a couple of weeks back, and they showed a lot of promise. I'm looking forward to trying out the heavy 357...
    Too much fun....

Top Bottom