Join TexasGunTalk

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Moonpie, Aug 6, 2015.

1. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Lyman Universal Trimmer. Took a little work to dial in and get the technique down but it's running pretty well.

Got my Midway order.

I reamed some tight primer pockets on the .357 brass tonight and tumbled a big batch of 9mm. I'm glad primer pocket reaming is a one time thing because that sucks!

2. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Sounds like a more extreme version of running them through a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

My concern is that you might have swaged your bullets down too much. Did you check their diameter after doing so? What about OAL?

3. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Heck no! I did the plunk test in my LWD barrel and they dropped n/out and sat low enough to chamber.

4. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I bought a bunch of 9mm brass that has crimped primers. I just use the Lee primer pocket reamer I got with my anniversary kit when I started loading in the 90s.

Side note: I came across a case(9mm)whose primer pocket was too lose to hold a primer. Norinco from the 90s; 92 I believe.

5. rp-

rp- TGT Addict

Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Ordered the Frankford arsenal pile driver bullet puller today. Another freebie from the gas rebate app.

Kinda eager to test that thing out. I have some rounds with a heavy crimp and the whack-it type bullet puller is taking me 5-7 hits to pop them apart. I'm hoping the FA puller will do better than that. I'll post how it goes when it gets here.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

6. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin

100% on point, you are swaging your bullets doing this. The Lee FCD is setup for the SAAMI max OD, the sizing dies are well below that. They will be about 373 versus 381 at the mouth, huge difference.

If you have to run your ammo through an FCD you have an issue you should solve. If you have to run it through a sizing die you have a bigger issue to solve. Post sizing can be useful in some situations but if you have to post size to get your ammo to gage, you have a problem in your loading setup. FCDs usually mask poor setup.

Dawico likes this.
  7. SQLGeek

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    What would you say are the most likely culprits? Troubleshooting is still something I'm trying to get a grasp on.

8. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    In my experience, it is almost always a sizing issue. Either at the base or the mouth coming from incorrect die setup or expansion. Take some measurements with your calipers and you can quickly narrow it down. We process so many different headstamps, we've seen it all, it is all about tolerances.

SQLGeek likes this.
  9. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Thanks Deavis! I was wondering what to shoot today but I guess it will be 9mm.

I expect I'll be spending some time in the reloading shed after I swap blades on the mower and change the oil and mow.

10. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I will plan on shooting up the 200 or so I have loaded unless the heat builds up too quickly then I think I will swap in my Lee 9mm sizer to start with.

I had an issue when I went back to loading 357 that was due to the cases not being sized down far enough but was cured with the Lee sizing die.